Thread: Trapping Pics 2013 ~ Let's see 'em!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Love the trapping pics. In MI trapping early it can be very difficult to see the birds. We don't get leaves off the trees till late Oct.

While we do have some open farm land that makes it easier to see the birds, I find them much more likely to bump than the industrial park birds. I agree on the industrial park birds for early season, also don't discount landfills. They seem to attract birds and generally have easy places to serve a trap. One of my best birds was trapped at the land fill near home.

I have also had luck spotting by doing freeway driving in areas where there are roads next to the freeway. One person drives, one watches. The driver is responsible for hitting the location on the GPS, the spotter for targeting identifiable structures to locate the bird once we get off the freeway. You put on some miles with this method, but it has produced sightings on those days when tooling around all the above locations is coming up short, or that mid-day dead time when you can't seem to find anything.
    Sue

Quote Originally Posted by DirtHawker View Post
    Love the trapping pics.
    Me too. Great story Scott. It's the stories like yours and others that bring out and document the close relationship falconers have with the natural world. Through trapping and hawking, we get to live out these wonderful adventures that many in our culture today don't have the opportunity to experience.

Falconry and hawk trapping are living extensions of an ancient tradition.
    Dan McCarron
    John 3: 16

Dan, I couldn't agree more. That's the kind of sentiment that keeps me chasing this sport so hard.

Fred! I thought you already had a couple of goshawks. Aren't you going to be flying one of them this year? Will you be in Alamosa in November?
    Scott McNeff

Maine

Quote Originally Posted by mainefalconer View Post
    Dan, I couldn't agree more. That's the kind of sentiment that keeps me chasing this sport so hard.

Fred! I thought you already had a couple of goshawks. Aren't you going to be flying one of them this year? Will you be in Alamosa in November?
    No, can't make that long drive to Alamosa, planning on going next year to TX. Yeah, I have 3 gos's but they are all breeders. I do plan on pulling the male in December and flying him to build a bond so I can get him to donate. But he is missing several primaries on each wing so plan on just car hawking him on just starlings and pigeons. Like I said, mostly to just build a bond.
    Fred
    "Adopt the pace of nature: her secret is patience." ~Ralph Waldo Emerson

These guys were in my repeating sparrow trap. I would have loved to see how they got in it!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Jeff Owens

He was a very small male...took 3 minutes to catch him once I dropped a BC with two sparrows in it. Neat color on his tail.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Jeff Owens

Went out on my first real trapping trip with a couple of Nebraska falconers (and great guys to boot). Saw a bunch of Redtails, and a couple of cooper's hawks. Trapped 4 total. A haggard (first photo below) and three juveniles. First juvenile was a small male with one swollen toe, second was a nice female (which I kept and is also pictured below) and another female that looked great but she only had one eye.

Haggard

...and the girl that I kept.
    Daniel Parker
    Work hard and build your dreams, or someone will hire you to build theirs.

Thread Information