Quote Originally Posted by gyrhybrid View Post
The "deadly Y" is a good description of the jess extender. I used one on my tiercel peregrine/prairie and it broke, leaving the swivel connected to the two jesses. The bird broke loose while I was at work (this was inside the house perch). So when I got home the falcon was sitting on the block perch, and probably flew around the house for a while.
I assumed the bird was connected and opened the sliding glass door completely, and I got lucky to see the problem, then closed up everything. Conclusion, no more jess extenders again.

As far as getting the bird back before death occurs, I suggest placing on your roof a pigeon on a line and a bell on the pigeon leg to sound the allert when arrival. I consider this the only hope. The bird is probably in the neighborhood anyway. I once had a coopers hawk broke loose without jesses and stayed in the neighborhood for 7 days, then the neighbor kids spotted her for me and she came down to a frozen sparrow, that's all I had in the emergency to get her back. So use a pigeon on the roof because I feel she is close by.

roger
I have wonder about your setup. If a properly used jess extender broke, it would leave the jesses free, not attached to a swivel.