Thread: Juvenile red tail biting/footing

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

The bird flies to the fist very quickly and is attentive when he is waiting to return from the perch. It hardly bates, only a little outside and only when it is getting towards being full. His weight is definitely good and his condition is good also. He is well manned and has spent a large amount of time on the glove every day. He has eaten only off of the glove since his second day with me. His biting and footing isn't very forceful, and the way he looks at the hand seems to be of a curios nature, as is he sees it as just flesh and keeps wondering if he can eat it. I will continue to work with him and try to train the behavior out. Thanks for all of your advice!
    Drake

Quote Originally Posted by ocoeeleo27 View Post
    The bird flies to the fist very quickly and is attentive when he is waiting to return from the perch. It hardly bates, only a little outside and only when it is getting towards being full. His weight is definitely good and his condition is good also. He is well manned and has spent a large amount of time on the glove every day. He has eaten only off of the glove since his second day with me. His biting and footing isn't very forceful, and the way he looks at the hand seems to be of a curios nature, as is he sees it as just flesh and keeps wondering if he can eat it. I will continue to work with him and try to train the behavior out. Thanks for all of your advice!
    Sounds to me like those who suggested more manning time are on the money. How long have you had this bird?
    Ron N1WT Vermont

I just wanted to add, if your bird is biting and footing it is trying to tel you something. Listen. When your manning, try to go until just before she foots you, or bites. That way you build up a tolerance in your bird. It will come in handy when your bird is on a kill and all keyed up. You will know how much you can ask of her and she will appreciate that.
    Jacob L'Etoile
    Western MA

Thread Information