Thread: Harris video with a coop harris cross.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Why would you want to waste a good HH?
    Jim
    New Mexican

Quote Originally Posted by raptrlvr View Post
    I'm sure it was just a case of someone with an imprint and a hair up their butt..... I was thinking the same thing when I saw a picture of some peregrine/kestrel crosses the other day.
    Michelle M., Fort Thomas, AZ.

that was a sweet looking hybrid. looks better than the ones in the old nafa journals
    Chris
    Goshawks get it done with style

Pretty cool video, though it's a shame that the narrator refers to falconry as "a blood sport" toward the end. Yet another reminder that, while it's cool to be on TV and all, you never know what the media will do with the footage without even thinking...
    Dave Hampton
    http://www.falconryconservancy.org/
    "Wars begin where you will, but they do not end where you please." Niccolo Machiavelli

I did a quick search on the guy's name +falconry and didn't come up with anything. Anybody know him? Like Chris said, it would be nice to get more info on how that hybrid fared...
    Dave Hampton
    "Wars begin where you will, but they do not end where you please." Niccolo Machiavelli

I don't know the guy or anything about him, but man, why do folks sling their birds up into trees. I went to a falconry presentation at The Homestead in VA several years ago and the woman they had doing the presentation had a harris hawk that she would sling up toward a barn loft and the bird would fly up there and then she would have us get in a row and have the bird fly between us all. It was all really cool for the folks there, but all I could think of why does she have to sling the bird by its jesses. It has probably done this a thousand times and probably would fly up there on its own. I always just let my birds leave the fist when they are ready and haven't ever had a problem with one just sitting there. Do other falconers do this and do they think it is ok? I just don't get it! No one I hunt with does this although I have seen a few folks in our Guild do it but I usually just keep my mouth shut and don't ask them why? I guess one is braver on a forum than face to face! LOL
    Fred
    "Adopt the pace of nature: her secret is patience." ~Ralph Waldo Emerson

I've heard of him, but don't know the guy. He's here in Maryland too. Bill is on here from Maryland and he might know the guy.

On a related note... Floyd Presley is a long time Falconer from Maryland, and a few years back he wrote something about that hybrid in one of the Nafa publications. At the time I think he had been flying one for a few years and it passed away? He was interested in finding someone to make him another one. I saw the one that he had at a picnic briefly, and talked to him about it for only a few minutes.
    -Ken
    (Maryland/Pennsylvania)

Quote Originally Posted by FredFogg View Post
    I don't know the guy or anything about him, but man, why do folks sling their birds up into trees. I went to a falconry presentation at The Homestead in VA several years ago and the woman they had doing the presentation had a harris hawk that she would sling up toward a barn loft and the bird would fly up there and then she would have us get in a row and have the bird fly between us all. It was all really cool for the folks there, but all I could think of why does she have to sling the bird by its jesses. It has probably done this a thousand times and probably would fly up there on its own. I always just let my birds leave the fist when they are ready and haven't ever had a problem with one just sitting there. Do other falconers do this and do they think it is ok? I just don't get it! No one I hunt with does this although I have seen a few folks in our Guild do it but I usually just keep my mouth shut and don't ask them why? I guess one is braver on a forum than face to face! LOL

Well said!
    http://www.thesmilies.com/smilies/videogame/mario.gif Mario Nickerson
    www.Dirthawking.com
    I'm ashamed of what I did for a Klondike bar...

I haven't ever done the slinging thing either. However in GA I often would grab my HH or RT's like a chicken and toss them up in a tree if they missed a squirrel on the ground. The must have been ok with it because they would often engage the squirrel immediately. What do you think about them throwing the sparrow hawks like a dart? I would like to see that.
    Thanks,
    Wes

Fred, you are hereby officially called out for immediate flogging for derailing the subject of this post!!! We already had a thread a year or so back discussing the do's and don't of bird slinging. It was on 'Jballone's thread about his bird. So now, let's get back to tracking Mike Moreland and getting him to join Nafex so we can hear about his hybrid instead of rehashing the crap about people slinging their birds!!!
    Dave Hampton

Quote Originally Posted by sevristh View Post
    though it's a shame that the narrator refers to falconry as "a blood sport" toward the end. ..

It is a blood sport...........
    the consequence of conscience, is that you'll be left somewhere......... swinging in the air.

No @(*^... Still doesnt mean we need to point it out to the public like that and draw unnecessary negative publicity.
    Dave Hampton

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy View Post
    It is a blood sport...........
    Sigh...the problem with calling it a 'blood sport' is that most people think that this term means it's bloody or that it means there is killing involved. That is NOT why it is called a 'blood sport'. It is called a blood sport because it was practiced by royalty, much like horse racing and fox hunting was originally. Blood refers to the 'royals' not the blood of the game. But, the public, in their infinite ignorance, thinks of blood as the killing of things. These sorts of public media extravaganzas never seem to clarify their use of this reference and it continues to propagate this confusion over the definition of this term.

Quote Originally Posted by PeteJ View Post
    It is called a blood sport because it was practiced by royalty.

My point.........
    the consequence of conscience, is that you'll be left somewhere......... swinging in the air.

Quote Originally Posted by PeteJ View Post
    Sigh...the problem with calling it a 'blood sport' is that most people think that this term means it's bloody or that it means there is killing involved. .

You mean there is not killing involved?

Am I "practicing" the wrong type of falconry?
    http://www.thesmilies.com/smilies/videogame/mario.gif Mario Nickerson
    www.Dirthawking.com
    I'm ashamed of what I did for a Klondike bar...

Quote Originally Posted by raptrlvr View Post
    Why would you consider that hybrid to be a waste of a HH? Just curious...

I can think of all kinds of potential for that bird...being able to see it fly or watch it's hunitng style would have helped me form a better opinion of it but I personally would give one a go, heck, I'd even be tempted to try and make the hybrid myself...
    ~ Lee
    "Nature does nothing uselessly." Aristotle

Thread Information