Thread: Disguising your face

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Quote Originally Posted by outhawkn View Post
    Hi Jeff

In what way does it make a difference?
    Hey Bill, it works on quite a few levels, IMO.

If the bird does not have a big negative experience with you and handling it initially (think the classic freshly trapped redtail pose), you have that much less to overcome in manning. The bird will not have to be reduced as much in weight, if at all and will trust you much sooner.

That keeps the bird in better health and can help fend off things like asper taking hold. Why take them through the process of losing conditioning etc if you don't have too?

If the first time the bird see's you and your hand, there is food and a quiet dimly lit room, what association does that establish from the beginning? A positive one. Why create more work for yourself? Sure they can have short term memories and forget all that stuff, i'd just rather avoid it and make progress sooner.
    -Jeff
    "You live more for five minutes going fast on a bike like that, than other people do in all of their life." --Marco Simoncelli

Quote Originally Posted by JRedig View Post
    Hey Bill, it works on quite a few levels, IMO.

If the bird does not have a big negative experience with you and handling it initially (think the classic freshly trapped redtail pose), you have that much less to overcome in manning. The bird will not have to be reduced as much in weight, if at all and will trust you much sooner.

That keeps the bird in better health and can help fend off things like asper taking hold. Why take them through the process of losing conditioning etc if you don't have too?

If the first time the bird see's you and your hand, there is food and a quiet dimly lit room, what association does that establish from the beginning? A positive one. Why create more work for yourself? Sure they can have short term memories and forget all that stuff, i'd just rather avoid it and make progress sooner.
    Pretty much what I was told in Colorado when I picked up my first peregrine from Sam Dollar. I believe in it.
    Rich in Illinois....
    "Man has emerged from the shadows of antiquity with a Peregrine on his wrist......."

Thread Information