Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bam Bam 2010 male coopers hawk

Default Bam Bam 2010 male coopers hawk

Well I pulled bam out of a tree in the middle of St.Louis in between a side walk and a road. He was 8 days old when I got him and recipe imprinted him Mike McDermitt was the one who convinced me to tame hack him but most of the help I have been receiving on my first imprint come from my friend Keith, who is also tame hacking a male coop. I am pushing the limits of the tame hack for where I'm hacking this bird i have house on all sides of my back yard as I live with my parents still and I'm hacking him out right smack dab in the middle of a subdivision its day six so far and he has came leaps and bounds in six days with his flight ability. Hes now flying around every where spending most the day down the road in one of my neighbors yards. One thing I am wanting to try is OC method of hooding later in the season. I will add pictures soon I have a lot .
    Joe Lewis

Hey Joe,

That's interesting that you are hacking him out in a subdivision. I'll be interested in knowing how it goes.

Good luck with him, and yes, send photographs.

Bill Boni
    Norman, OK

Nothing seems to bother him he was sitting over the top over my next door neighbors pit bull.
    Joe Lewis

Just make sure he doesn't latch on to the pitbull and carry it away, we know how dangerous these BOPs can be when it comes to large dogs.
    Paul Domski
    New Mexico, USA

Quote Originally Posted by Saluqi View Post
    Just make sure he doesn't latch on to the pitbull and carry it away, we know how dangerous these BOPs can be when it comes to large dogs.
    that just made my day paul!
    Conor
    Temecula CA

I have a picture of Bam Bam pecking the pit bull in the nose for sniffing him. I have to say this hack has made him mental develope very fast your can see day by day progression.
    Joe Lewis

Joe,
    That's great that someone is finally doing a hack in a crowded area! I can't wait to hear stories but.... WE WANT PICS! LOL!
    Dave Hampton
    http://www.falconryconservancy.org/
    "Wars begin where you will, but they do not end where you please." Niccolo Machiavelli

I will try and find the cord today but this morning after I feed him which i try and do at sunrise. Me and him just sat there in a law chair for about 35 minutes and some chichadees came around. He was turning his head upside down and running back and forth on my arm before finally flying to the try right above them and almost give them a heart attack. Today is day 8 of the hack and he weighed in at 338gr I have noticed he come in to the lure and mantles for a short time but then calms down and is fine the long he is at hack the less this happens so hopefully it goes away all together.
    Joe Lewis

Well Bam bam caught a semi grown grackle today so that was a surprise.
    Joe Lewis

Joe
    I am very curious to hear more about your Hack. I just pulled a eyas Coops myself about 8 days old. I was also sold by Mcdermott's idea of the Tame Hack and have been debating a "City" Tame Hack too.

My big concern are the local Dogs and cats. I have dogs myself that know how to act around hawks but I worry about the Hacked bird getting killed because it isn't weary of the dangers around it.

How is your bird dealing with this?

Thanks
    Chris Fox.
    God. Give me Wisdom to know Right from wrong. Give me Courage to do what's Right. Give me the Strength to win. Amen.

well today the bird got animal control called on him and it was quite funny i was tracking him down with telemetry when i found the officer trying to catch him but he went from the deck of my neighbor down the road to in a tree. The officer knew me and didn't care and the people where excited when i explained why my bird was sleeping on there deck. But I haven't had problems with dogs unless there is an extreme aggressive dog I would go for it the bird knows when something is wrong and will spend most it time in trees I'm going to try and stop the hack on June 16th if i can stretch it that far but if not oh well. But I am seeing big difference in the birds hacked in more rural areas and think this is the way to go for a dog tame bird i had kids jumping over my hawk on a perch today after i fed him up for the night.
    Joe Lewis

Hey Joe, to avoid incidents like this, you need to let your neighbors know what you are doing. I would take the bird around on your fist to all your neighbors so they can see what he looks like. That way you avoid AC being called and hopefully keep your bird safe. Never know what people will do to a bird they see as dangerous but doesn't seem afraid of them.
    Brandi

Dont often do that my next door neighbors all know but this is down the road and the AC knew me so it went fine and was betting it was mine. I live in a big subdivision and right in the middle so I dont exactly have the opportunity or the desire to walk up to 400 front doors. But i let a few more people know.
    Joe Lewis

He was all over the place today he was 323g he is a small male compared to the others pulled. about 6pm he came down and was checking us out while we BBQ'd. He chased sparrows in a bush also he jumped down and bathed in my neighbors fish pound.
    Joe Lewis

Hey Joe...

....found that camera cord yet?
    Dave Hampton
    "Wars begin where you will, but they do not end where you please." Niccolo Machiavelli

actualy just did uploading now.
    Joe Lewis

Joe Lewis

Finally.... :-)

Good looking bird Joe! I am amazed at how feathered he is. Coops in my area must hatch a lot later than other parts of the country.
    Chris Fox.
    God. Give me Wisdom to know Right from wrong. Give me Courage to do what's Right. Give me the Strength to win. Amen.

There he is!
    Bryant Tarr
    Hawk Hill Falconry

The reason I did the hack is it supposed to reduce the amount of noise they make and make them more aware of there feathers and this morning I could really see that all starting to happen. He barely mantles and its just for a second he preens and cleans him self no stop and the only sound he makes is a whistle when hes out side. Tho I know he hasn't dropped any weight I think it will continue like this as long as I drop his weight slow enough. I will take more pictures tonight after work of where I am hacking him. I also think he has peaked as far as weight 3 days in a row he was 323g when let out at 6:30am. Another observation is this morning he spent more time then he ever has before eating in the AM hes very calm on the lure I was able to put his transmitter on his backpack and sit with 4 dogs around him this morning while he was eating.
    Joe Lewis

hack sight the zoomed in picture he is on top of my neighbors onning

this is zoomed out from my yard to my neighbors

front yard

back yard looking at the neighbors
    Joe Lewis

So for all wondering this is my urban hack site.
    Joe Lewis

i really like reading these kinda threads. i enjoying seing the progress of the bird, learing about the ups and downs and a whole lot more.
    you have a cool looking bird and hopefully everything goes well for you. im going to be following this thread for sure.
    Rey

Warren, Michigan

Thanks for the pics Joe! The bird looks great! Hope everything continues smooothly for ya!
    Dave Hampton

Joe Lewis

do you have a transmitter on him? i just didn't see one. im trying to get a grasp on how tame hack works.
    Rey

Warren, Michigan

Yes I have a back pack mount on him and the tame hack is very simple you release the bird in the morning in the exact same spot feed him as much as he likes let him go and then in the evening when he shows back up you call him down crop him up take him home and repeat for 21 days. or better yet past hard pen if possible.

I have come to the conclusion that by birds burning threw 20-25g in a 12 hour window I figure that will jump up soon but the bird went up in weight today 332g highest yet on a empty crop. I dont know when he will top up any one know this. I still think he is a small male but he did latch on to my girlfriends lion head rabbit yesterday and kept chasing it around the yard. That is no good
    Joe Lewis

Joe, when he shows back up in the evening, are you calling him down to the lure? And what happens when he doesn't show up? Do you track him down with telemetry and then call him down when you find him? I am in an even more rural area but was afraid to tame hack a coops but I might give it a try if this works out. Although I have a convenience store 2 houses up from me that worries me if a bird would go up there and land on someones car while they are filling up! LOL
    Fred
    "Adopt the pace of nature: her secret is patience." ~Ralph Waldo Emerson

Joe:

Joe, It looks like from some of your pics that not only am I going to have to give you fishing lessons, I'm also going to have to teach you how not to take really washed out pics.

Here's some pics of your birds sibs:

Keith Thompson
    Treat everyone you meet with dignity and respect....but have a plan to kill them just in case

I was worried about all that too but he will learn and as long as he dosnt kill something he will come back to the same spot. when a bird kills the hack is over.
    Joe Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by keitht View Post
    Joe:

Joe, It looks like from some of your pics that not only am I going to have to give you fishing lessons, I'm also going to have to teach you how not to take really washed out pics.
    LOL! I was thinking the exact same thing!

Keith,

So I take it your hacking out two coop's together? Where's the thread on that?? Come on man, don't hold out on us! Especially when your pics are nice and CLEAR!
    Dave Hampton

Dave:

Joe and I are working together in this. I'll just come over to his thread and offer an occasional insult now the then.

By the way, I've seen Joe's bird and he's doing one heck of a job with it!
    Keith Thompson
    Treat everyone you meet with dignity and respect....but have a plan to kill them just in case

Well it helps when you have a some one thats been around coopers hawks since the end of the ice age. The knowlege that keith offers is priceless but I will say im trying to bring him to the dark side on stuff like hacking and backpack mounting transmitters that I havnt been able to convince him of yet.

Today went well after about 5 min of desiding my bird took a quail it was nice but he was possessive at first so I sat there and waited it out and he calmed down and stop mantling.
    Joe Lewis

Shot this morning

LINK
    Keith Thompson

Keith, what happens when one gets finished before the other, any squabbling or is it to full to even attempt to take it from the other? Also, video was kind of dark but are they just eating on a mat or are they each on a lure on top of the mat? Good stuff, enjoy reading this thread. Any chance they will be hunted in a cast?
    Fred
    "Adopt the pace of nature: her secret is patience." ~Ralph Waldo Emerson

Thread Information