Thread: My Lil' Kestrel!

Default My Lil' Kestrel!

These are a couple of pictures of my passage female kes on a baggie starling. Isn't she a cutie?

Looks like a screwdriver stuck in the starling...or is that a drag weight?

Quote Originally Posted by AK Rev View Post
    Looks like a screwdriver stuck in the starling...or is that a drag weight?
    It's a screwdriver, alright. I heard about it somewhere and decided it was a good idea. It's a quick way to humanly dispatch the prey with minimal danger to the falcon as it has no sharp edges and just a rubber handle in case of mantling. And yes, it has the added benefit of staking so it discourages attempts to carry. It's worked pretty well!

You can't beat kestrels for "cute".
    Bryan Kimsey

I try not to use descriptors like "cutie" but I must say she is adorable.
    Doug
    Inside every cynical.person is a disappointed idealist.

looks good. i just noticed a couple of things. are you using a traditional anklet-jesses? probably thats why you are asking about patterns. also it looks like your bird is a hag. makes no difference i was just wondering....great pics and good looking bird
    Rey

Warren, Michigan

Quote Originally Posted by REYNALDO View Post
    looks good. i just noticed a couple of things. are you using a traditional anklet-jesses? probably thats why you are asking about patterns. also it looks like your bird is a hag. makes no difference i was just wondering....great pics and good looking bird
    Thanks and yep, I'm working on the Aylmeri jesses.

what is her trap and hunting weight? mine was 124 (trap) 99 (free flight) 98-102 (hunting) actually today she help on to a starling but rolled into a puddle of water at 108.5. she and the starling were both soaking wet she let go coz her head went under water i tried to catch the starling by hand coz it couldn't fly very high but sucker was still pretty fast. it went up went to a tree and just kept jumping up higher and higher. oh well it can live another day. have you hunted her yet?
    Rey

Warren, Michigan

for a moment i was wondering what that black thing was.
    CODY RAMER, MONTANA [those who fly hawks have all the fun while those who fly falcons have all the problems]

what is her trap and hunting weight? mine was 124 (trap) 99 (free flight) 98-102 (hunting) actually today she help on to a starling but rolled into a puddle of water at 108.5. she and the starling were both soaking wet she let go coz her head went under water i tried to catch the starling by hand coz it couldn't fly very high but sucker was still pretty fast. it went up went to a tree and just kept jumping up higher and higher. oh well it can live another day. have you hunted her yet?
    I don't have her journal handy so I can't tell you her trap weight. I think it was about 103gr. I'm a little confused by your terms, (free flight) and (hunting), though. Her ideal weight for flying is about 91 gr with about 98 grams the "no go" weight where I don't hunt her. Above that and if she missed something in a tail chase she might wind up staying out all night. Is that what you meant?

Quote Originally Posted by Desertfalcon View Post
    I don't have her journal handy so I can't tell you her trap weight. I think it was about 103gr. I'm a little confused by your terms, (free flight) and (hunting), though. Her ideal weight for flying is about 91 gr with about 98 grams the "no go" weight where I don't hunt her. Above that and if she missed something in a tail chase she might wind up staying out all night. Is that what you meant?
    free flight weight is when she was off the creance the first time and hunting weight. sorry about the confussion she is a small bird. i am still strying to find that no go weight. before i thought its 105 but she have hunted at that weight. yesterday was close to 109 grams and she still went. i have gotten her to come back at over 114 grams after eating a sparrow it took almost an hour but she came back. i haven't felt her all night yet....knock on wood. yeah thats what i was wondering about. thanks.
    Rey

Warren, Michigan

free flight weight is when she was off the creance the first time and hunting weight. sorry about the confussion she is a small bird. i am still strying to find that no go weight. before i thought its 105 but she have hunted at that weight. yesterday was close to 109 grams and she still went. i have gotten her to come back at over 114 grams after eating a sparrow it took almost an hour but she came back. i haven't felt her all night yet....knock on wood. yeah thats what i was wondering about. thanks.
    Oh OK, I wasn't far off then. Your bird must be a bit bigger than mine with those weights. I'm sure that mine will return to me, even at a heavy weight as she has when she sees me. Being very thoroughly manned. Indeed, she follows me around the field when I go walk out into it, never letting me out of her sight. Kinda' funny. I think she would kill at any weight as it seems something that is distinct from eating. She just loves to hunt and kill, even if full. One thing I have noticed, however, is that when she gets too heavy, she kinda' turns into a fuss-pot and acts like a disobedient teenager. She's starts pushing my buttons and seeing what she can get away with.

LOL. i completely understand what you mean!
    Rey

Warren, Michigan

Cool Jesses

I hate to be a stick in the mud but what does your sponsor and LE say about your use of traditional jesses?
    John Lessiack

Quote Originally Posted by Artiehawk View Post
    I hate to be a stick in the mud but what does your sponsor and LE say about your use of traditional jesses?
    John Lessiack
    It's been discussed. See #7.

Cool Jesses

Just because it has been discussed doesn't make it legal or safe for the bird. Just my 2 cents.
    John

Quote Originally Posted by Artiehawk View Post
    Just because it has been discussed doesn't make it legal or safe for the bird. Just my 2 cents.
    John
    Already rectified.

Thread Information