Thread: 2105 Little Banded Goshawk Imprint

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Due to lack of ability to trap baggies (even sparrows) - I will get a few but not in volumes to keep it up daily and feed on a carcass as serving platter. I think I may have to adjust McD's approach a little. Just ordered McLeroy's Desert Hawking II which hopefully can give me a few more options.

Very tempted to take him outside to run around in the garden but not sure if will have negative impact
    Regards
    Khaled

Love the little shikra. Be sure to give him plenty of small bone chopped in food if you can't get the little birds. You won't need many bags, as they learn so fast, soon he will be catching plenty of little birds. Enjoy him.
    Dan

Quote Originally Posted by falcon3d View Post
    Due to lack of ability to trap baggies (even sparrows) - I will get a few but not in volumes to keep it up daily and feed on a carcass as serving platter. I think I may have to adjust McD's approach a little. Just ordered McLeroy's Desert Hawking II which hopefully can give me a few more options.

Very tempted to take him outside to run around in the garden but not sure if will have negative impact
    Khaled,

There is absolutely nothing a young accipiter can learn from a baggie that cannot be taught without one. You can use a small toy on a string to teach him to foot and fight with prey. Or roll a small ball along the floor for him to play.

After my first imprint accipiter, I generally stopped giving baggies all together because I didn't like how long they suffer with young eyass hawks and I realized I could teach those lessons - which are very valuable - without resorting to them.

I should also note that I focus on ground game, so I have not figured out how to use a lure substitute for flying quarry, and that I have occaisionally used free flying baggies to teach that, but only when the eyass is flying strong.

I look forward to reading the progress of your project on this thread BTW.
    Geoff Hirschi - "It is better to have lightning in the fist than thunder in the mouth"
    Custom made Tail Saver Perches - http://www.myrthwood.com/TieEmHigh/

Quote Originally Posted by goshawkr View Post
    I generally stopped giving baggies all together because I didn't like how long they suffer with young eyass hawks and I realized I could teach those lessons - which are very valuable - without resorting to them.
    That's a good point. I didn't even think of the fact that an eyas will take long to dispose of the baggies. My plan was to release the bird at a baggie then humanely and swiftly kill it as soon as the hawk starts to eat at it or pluck - but that intervention might create problems.

I guess the it is really about what I do next. I am at a point now where I feel the hawk is ready for the next step - now he just sits in tank and I man him on the fist. I am just very hesitant to remove 24 hr food availability in order to start getting him interested in the lure. Not sure when is the right time.
    Regards
    Khaled

Thread Information