Quote Originally Posted by HGlider View Post
I am not sure this will help. But it seems you are trying to cure the symptoms and not the reason they scream. "Food" I have an imprinted male Harris Hawk in his fourth season. And he hasn't screamed in years. The first few months were pure hell though. For Diablo all it took was hunt, hunt and more hunting. Once he was consistent hunting he just up and shut up. He still talks a lot as I think all HH are prone to do. But it more of a grumble under their breath and definitely not a scream. I have to be paying attention to even notice he's talking. But then again Diablo is a weird bird so no guarantees. First months I had to tell my neighbor that he would grow out of the screaming after he started hunting. Boy I lucked out on that one.
it is not luck in my opinion, a hawk that is giving it's full attention to hunting is in that zone and it will not scream as long as it is seeking prey. They do grow out of screaming provided they become hunters just like in the wild. When they are self actualized as they say they don't scream. Screaming is a proclamation of dependence, tid bit almost any hawk for a few days and make it dependent on you for food and it most likely will begin screaming. In pair bonding in wild adult hawks, often one of the adults will declare it is willing to become dependent and announce it by sounding some hunger screams. Signaling a desire to be presented food and signaling a willingness to copulate. IMHO