Thread: Micro Tail-Springs

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Quote Originally Posted by sugezwolf View Post
    Thanks Robert but pictures won't help you to understand the problem. It is a simple one caused I believe by the small gauge of the wire used. Even when replaced often the tail-springs quickly become sloppy and lacking in resistance (unlike the ones on the P-max for example) so are liable to come away from the three mounting posts on the back of the transmitter during a flight.

Gerry x
    OK.

Although the reason I was thinking pics would help is to determine if there was somehow any damage to the tiny posts milled in to the bottom of the transmitter case. From what is being described ("tail springs become sloppy") having damaged posts the only way that could happen.

However, if a tail clip is coming off the body of the transmitter, it has nothing to do with the thickness of the springs. They are intentionally of a very small gauge. Everything about the Micro design is intricate and minimalist, intentionally. But if you look with a magnifying glass, you'll find the posts are undercut just the exact amount to fit that gauge of wire springs exactly, no wiggle room, no sloppiness. And when they are compressed and mounted, they are tighter still and it's literally impossible for them to come off. Unless of course, the posts are damaged, somehow.

I have used them for years on high flying hard hitting birds, have closely observed many others using them since the design was changed from circular to the W-shape back in 2005, without what you are describing ever happening, ever.

Also keep in mind that with now 100,000 transmitters sold over the years, you can imagine how have a steady stream of direct contact with customers about their issues, and that's what drives changes and improvements to the product designs. So it's always a surprise when a customer mentions something like this on a public Forum as an entirely new problem, something we don't experience personally or hear of happening anywhere else. We look for trends, for more than one instance, where we can better analyze and respond with a solution if it's an actual design issue.

If you'd rather not upload pictures for this now public discussion, maybe you could instead send us your Micro so we might closely examine it for damage, or replace it?

It'd be great to get to the bottom of what's happening in your case, but I can assure you with high confidence, it's not because the springs are too small.

RB

Default Micro Tail-Springs

Quote Originally Posted by RLBagley View Post
    OK.

Although the reason I was thinking pics would help is to determine if there was somehow any damage to the tiny posts milled in to the bottom of the transmitter case. From what is being described ("tail springs become sloppy") having damaged posts the only way that could happen.

However, if a tail clip is coming off the body of the transmitter, it has nothing to do with the thickness of the springs. They are intentionally of a very small gauge. Everything about the Micro design is intricate and minimalist, intentionally. But if you look with a magnifying glass, you'll find the posts are undercut just the exact amount to fit that gauge of wire springs exactly, no wiggle room, no sloppiness. And when they are compressed and mounted, they are tighter still and it's literally impossible for them to come off. Unless of course, the posts are damaged, somehow.

I have used them for years on high flying hard hitting birds, have closely observed many others using them since the design was changed from circular to the W-shape back in 2005, without what you are describing ever happening, ever.

Also keep in mind that with now 100,000 transmitters sold over the years, you can imagine how have a steady stream of direct contact with customers about their issues, and that's what drives changes and improvements to the product designs. So it's always a surprise when a customer mentions something like this on a public Forum as an entirely new problem, something we don't experience personally or hear of happening anywhere else. We look for trends, for more than one instance, where we can better analyze and respond with a solution if it's an actual design issue.

If you'd rather not upload pictures for this now public discussion, maybe you could instead send us your Micro so we might closely examine it for damage, or replace it?

It'd be great to get to the bottom of what's happening in your case, but I can assure you with high confidence, it's not because the springs are too small.

RB

Hi Robert - my first thought was that one of the posts was damaged but close examination revealed they were fine. When it happened on a different transmitter (I have 3 Micros) and with two different hawks within a matter of days I suspected a common cause. I found that my two older Micros had a lot of 'play' in the tail-springs whilst my newest (1 season's use) although quite 'bendy' was relatively taut. I immediately purchased new tail-springs via the excellent Stephen Lea and the problem hasn't recurred. I really feel that 'stiffer' wire would negate having to change the tail-springs so often.

Gerry x

P.S. in no way am I trying to rubbish Marshall's products or service. I have been a customer for 15 years and have had my share of issues but have remained loyal to the brand. I am merely pointing out a problem where I feel it exists so that it can perhaps be rectified.
    Gerry Plant

Thread Information