Thread: Apache - 2011 Imprint Male Goshawk

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Worked hard and found 3 squirrels tonight. The first one escaped by the skin of it's teeth. The second sold it's buddy out and left him with a goshawk and wirehair to deal with.

I was on the phone with a falconer friend when I heard Apache's bell. I turned around and he was pumping straight at me. I was about to poop my pants thinking I was getting a face full of goshawk when I realized my wirehair was chasing a squirrel on the ground. Apache was is hot pursuit. The squirrel ran up a tree and into a nest, when a second squirrel bolted. The flight went from the ground to the tree tops multiple times. He would barely escape the jaws of the dog only to run back up a tree and have to deal with the goshawk. It was AMAZING! I watched Apache climb vertically while circling the tree. It was the best squirrel flight I've ever seen. Somehow the squirrel managed to get to a hole and disappeared.

I called Apache down and gave him his daily rations. It is only a matter of time. He was serious today about killing that squirrel.
    Jeff Suggs
    Texas

That sounds awesome Jeff! As others have told me...where's that gopro on your hat?
    -Jeff
    "You live more for five minutes going fast on a bike like that, than other people do in all of their life." --Marco Simoncelli

Quote Originally Posted by rocgwp View Post
    I was on the phone with a falconer friend when I heard Apache's bell.
    While hunting?!
    Dave Hampton
    http://www.falconryconservancy.org/
    "Wars begin where you will, but they do not end where you please." Niccolo Machiavelli

Quote Originally Posted by sevristh View Post
    While hunting?!
    If it helps, we were talking about where I was hawking and if he was going to come join me or not...
    Jeff Suggs
    Texas

Just a quick update...I'm still looking for that first kill. Apache has come really close. Today he pulled a squirrel out of a tree, lost it, and barely missed it in the mass of vines on the ground. If I'd had my dog with me today, it may have been a game changer. The second squirrel we flushed today tried a flying squirrel move. Instead of running, it bailed out of the top of a pine and hit the ground running. Apache hit the ground and got up atleast three times as he chased it along the ground. It won't be long until Apache connects. He was 790g today and I really liked his attitude and response. He responds instantly to an ungarnished lure then hops to the fist for his meal or tidbits. I still hand him food as he eats.

I reintroduced the hood and it has gone really well. While he ate his meal today I practiced hooding him several times. I used a Layman technique that turns sloppy hooding into an advantage. While the bird eats, I put the hood in the way. He then reaches down for a bite and I chase his head up as he raises back up. If the hood goes on, great. I CR, take the hood away, and let him get a bite. If it doesn't, I CR, take the hood away,and he still gets a bite. It turns the whole experience positive for the bird. I acquired a hood from Larry Ray and really like it. It has a gape opening big enough that he can cast and pant after exercise. It also has an accordion back.

I thought it was going to be decent squirrel year, but I think the drought has had an effect. We are finding squirrels, but in lower numbers and we are having to work a lot harder to find them.

Here's a pic of the new hood:

Jeff Suggs
    Texas

Great looking hood and fit Jeff, looks very familiar!
    -Jeff
    "You live more for five minutes going fast on a bike like that, than other people do in all of their life." --Marco Simoncelli

I've had a blast flying Apache lately. He has been chasing hard and I've seen some amazing flights. He has taken several to the ground, but let go on the ground. At this point it is obvious he is releasing when he doesn't have a good grip (which I like). It is also obvious that he loves to chase. It appears at times that he pushes the squirrels to make them run and see what they will do next. I get the impression that my goshawk is pushing them to their limits to see what they're made of. I think my gos is an adrenaline junkie.

So far, it also appears that Apache learns in fewer repetitions than other birds I've flown. He is constantly trying new things on squirrels. Today he had a squirrel pinned and it wouldn't move and he couldn't get to it. He flew to a nearby tree and turned his back. When the squirrel moved, he was right back in the game just as he planned. Yesterday he laddered up in a tree next to the one the squirrel was in and then ambushed the squirrel from above. He also tried the coolest barrel roll maneuver I've ever seen that resulted in grabbing a squirrel midair as it bailed. I've seen other birds do these things, but after a lot more repetitions and chases.

No game in the bag yet, but man this is fun...When watching a goshawk fly squirrels the common phrase is, "Did you see that?"
    Jeff Suggs
    Texas

No game in the bag yet, but man this is fun...
    Good job man. You and Apache will do it well when the time comes. When it does come, watch out!
    Joe

Northern California

Thread Information