Quote Originally Posted by wyodjm View Post
I've been watching this thread. It's very interesting. There's a very fine, faint hint suggesting that if you want to be a real falconer, you better get the Marshall GPS system and anything and everything necessary to see it happen.

Let's hope I can come home at the end of the day with my bird. Oh, and a duck!

All my best.
Hi Dan,

I think it takes much bigger huevos to fly your bird without gps if you're in situations where you can regularly fly your falcon, eagle, or soaring RT "high and wide", or from thermals. I aspire to these kinds of flights and my birds have occasionally complied, and when they do and are out of sight for extended periods it's unnerving not knowing where my birds is and when I should flush. Last season I was out with some friends for a weekend of duck hawking, and one of them has a 9 year old peregrine that loves to thermal and with GPS we were able to "watch" her for 30 minutes as she climbed to over 3000 ft and was out about a mile, she eventually came over at around 1500' when we knew we could flush for her, she wasn't successful by the way. I really liked the peace of mind that gps offered.

I just bought a Marshall system and an iPad, my phone is a Samsung android, I don't think it makes me a real falconer, I see it more as an investment in preventative health care, if I can avoid periods during the day where my blood pressure is elevated for an extended period, then I think it's worth the investment. Just a few thoughts...