Thread: New Jersey Falconry Club Winter Field Meet 2017

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default 2017 winter meet NJ falconers assoc.

I am thinking of attending the winter meet will members of the host club be willing to take out of town falconers along hunting? Ihave a pfrt is there some one to contact before the meet

Quote Originally Posted by urbanhawker View Post
    I am thinking of attending the winter meet will members of the host club be willing to take out of town falconers along hunting? Ihave a pfrt is there some one to contact before the meet
    Absolutely! Just show up or hang out in the lobby and their will be plenty of people to share hawking spots with. We have had very good numbers of rabbits the last few years at this location. You won't have to go very far from the hotel at all. As far as contacting anyone before the meet, I don't think it is necessary. Just go to our website and register (you get a small discount for the banquet if you register and pay early)

Feel free to PM me if you have any other questions.
    Dave Baines
    Atco, NJ

Since you didn't tag your own name I can't really respond to who you are, however I can say as another out of stater the NJ meet was hands down the most receptive out of state meets I have attended to non-residents. We're looking forward to the trip in a couple weeks out to NJ again. As Dave posted above, we also didn't experience any issue finding quarry in the close vicinity to the meet location.
    Gregory E. Miller
    "Hunt hard, kill swiftly, waste nothing, offer no apologies." - Teddy Moritz/Unknown Origin

Quote Originally Posted by gemiller View Post
    , however I can say as another out of stater the NJ meet was hands down the most receptive out of state meets I have attended to non-residents.
    Greg:

You are not the only one who shares this view, and there is a reason why this environment exists at the New Jersey Club Winter Meets.

This will be the 5th year in a row that the meet will be held in Swedesboro, NJ, and the meet has grown in size and in particular the number of out of state falconers who attend. Last year I believe that the meet attracted falconers from Delaware, Maryland, Pennsylvania, New York and Connecticut.

The decision to hold the first meet in Swedesboro was made by the officers of the club with the thought
    in mind that it would be best not to have it in an area close to where any of the New Jersey Club
    members lived. Why, because right or wrong, most falconers are very reluctant to share their hunting
    locations.

So the officers started to discuss where one could find game in the state that wasn’t in a member’s
    backyard, and that’s how the met came to Swedesboro (an area where you have to be doing something seriously wrong if you aren't finding BUNNY slips for your bird!).

The fact that none of the club members are “Protective” with respect to the Swedesboro location really
    opened the door to creating an environment where everyone is receptive and helpful to not only
    fellow club members, but also to out of state guests. This is why once a none resident attends, they almost always come back the following year

The other nice thing about the New Jersey Meet is that hunting is opened to falconers on Sundays.

I believe that by having the support required to get on game the first day of the meet, versus being on your own scouting out areas and potentially losing the first day of the meet it’s a lot easier for someone from out of state to justify attending. To put it in perspective, if you are from out of state, you are incurring the following:
    · Gas and Tolls associated with a 200+ mile round trip
    · Cost of Lodging
    · None Resident License
    · Meet Registration Fee
    · Banquet Fee

The New Jersey Club Annual Winter Meet experience makes it easy to justify the expense, as has been proven by the ever increasing out of state attendance.

Default winter meet

can we purchase a hunting license in swedesburo ?

I am not sure if you can get a licenses in Swedesboro but I don't think you will have to go very far. Here is a link to the NJDEP License Agents. Swedesboro is in Gloucester County.

http://www.njfishandwildlife.com/agentlst.htm

*Actually after looking at the list, you can get a license right at the Swedesboro municipal building, it is about 3 miles from the meet hotel.*
    Dave Baines
    Atco, NJ

Adding on to Dave's response. If you haven't had a NJ license prior make sure you bring a copy of your home states license. I bought mine online and had to upload a copy of my home state to activate my NJ CPD number to allow license purchase. I'm under the impression you need to provide proof of home state license or safety course to be able to get your first license in NJ. After that it stays unlocked on your CPD indefinitely.
    Gregory E. Miller
    "Hunt hard, kill swiftly, waste nothing, offer no apologies." - Teddy Moritz/Unknown Origin

Default Here is a full list of where to get Hunting licenses

Hunting Licenses Swedesboro
    The Swedesboro Hall is the closest place to the Holiday Inn

Borough of Swedesboro, Borough Hall
    1500 Kings Highway, Swedesboro NJ 08058
    856-467-0202
    www.historicswedesboro.com/2012/11/gamelicense

Bob's Little Sport Shop - Glassboro, NJ 856-881-7575

Borough of Swedesboro -Swedesboro, NJ 856-467-0202

Dick's Sporting Goods - Deptford, NJ 856-384-8533

Greenwich Twp. - Gibbstown, NJ 609-423-1038

Kmart - Mantua, NJ 856-468-7575