Thread: 2014 CHC/NAFA Joint Regional Meet - Topaz, NV

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default 2014 CHC/NAFA Joint Regional Meet - Topaz, NV

Well folks, it is on! Click here to read more about the joint CHC and NAFA Regional Meet in Topaz, NV on January 15th - 18th, 2014.
    Fred
    "Adopt the pace of nature: her secret is patience." ~Ralph Waldo Emerson

Default Topaz Lake/Lodge

Quote Originally Posted by FredFogg View Post
    Well folks, it is on! Click here to read more about the joint CHC and NAFA Regional Meet in Topaz, NV on January 15th - 18th, 2014.
    Fred,
    Frank and Linda Ely live near the lake and lodge and Frank does a great job at putting meets together. The lodging at Topaz Lake Lodge is nice and the food at the lodge is good and reasonable in cost. There is a service station next to the lodge and the RV park is also nice. There is a lot of land to fly on both private and public. It's a beautiful setting. There a other restaurants north, south and east.

Dan
    Dan Fenske
    Harrisburg, Oregon

Hi Fred,

You coming to the meet this year? You came a few years ago I remember. I live 15 miles from the meet and will be there.

Mark
    Quote Originally Posted by California Native View Post
    Fred,
    Frank and Linda Ely live near the lake and lodge and Frank does a great job at putting meets together. The lodging at Topaz Lake Lodge is nice and the food at the lodge is good and reasonable in cost. There is a service station next to the lodge and the RV park is also nice. There is a lot of land to fly on both private and public. It's a beautiful setting. There a other restaurants north, south and east.

Dan
    Mark Moglich
    americangyrs.com

Quote Originally Posted by WHITEGOS View Post
    Hi Fred,

You coming to the meet this year? You came a few years ago I remember. I live 15 miles from the meet and will be there.

Mark
    Hey Mark, I think you have the wrong Fred! I wish I had been to a meet out that way and I wish I could come this year but the NAFA Meet in Alamosa is the furthest west I have ever been hawking. I will make it one of these days!
    Fred

Hi Fred,

Ok sorry, wrong guy.

Quote Originally Posted by FredFogg View Post
    Hey Mark, I think you have the wrong Fred! I wish I had been to a meet out that way and I wish I could come this year but the NAFA Meet in Alamosa is the furthest west I have ever been hawking. I will make it one of these days!
    Mark Moglich
    americangyrs.com

So what is one to expect weather wise in January at Topaz?
    Melissa (Missy) Wardle

Quote Originally Posted by WHITEGOS View Post
    Hi Fred,

Ok sorry, wrong guy.
    No problem Mark! I bet you were thinking of Fred Seaman!
    Fred

So who's going to make it out for this?

I have a chance to be in the area for work that week/weekend...
    -Jeff
    "You live more for five minutes going fast on a bike like that, than other people do in all of their life." --Marco Simoncelli

Quote Originally Posted by JRedig View Post
    So who's going to make it out for this?

I have a chance to be in the area for work that week/weekend...
    now that's convenient
    Rich in Illinois....
    "Man has emerged from the shadows of antiquity with a Peregrine on his wrist......."

And why the heck is it on a Wed-Sat...
    -Jeff
    "You live more for five minutes going fast on a bike like that, than other people do in all of their life." --Marco Simoncelli

Jeff,

The CHC meets has always been since 1975 Wed to Saturday, Sunday allows time to travel home before work on Monday.

Mark
    Quote Originally Posted by JRedig View Post
    And why the heck is it on a Wed-Sat...
    Mark Moglich
    americangyrs.com

Hey Jeff, if you're going to be in the area, look me up. Might even share some duck slips!
    Lew Souder
    "The proper function of man is to live, not to exist.? Jack London

Anyone know if California or Nevada have special permit needs for bringing/hunting a raptor?
    Melissa (Missy) Wardle

Quote Originally Posted by Shehawker View Post
    Anyone know if California or Nevada have special permit needs for bringing/hunting a raptor?
    This should help Missy. http://www.n-a-f-a.com/Documents/201...Meet_Flyer.pdf
    Darren Lemieux

Darren, I did look through all the meet info I could find and didn't see anything. I'm hoping that means nothing is required
    Melissa (Missy) Wardle

Hi Melissa. No special permit to bring a bird into NV. Just be sure to get all the appropriate licenses depending on the game you are planning to hunt. Go to the NDOW website to buy licenses on-line.
    Lew Souder

Thanks Lew! Now just trying to confirm for California. The regs old and new do not mention needing any sort of vet checks just a valid falconry permit from your state. Just want to be sure.
    Melissa (Missy) Wardle

Nothing for CA as well. If you are flying a Gos, then you will most likely be hunting Smith Valley which is in NV. Lots of jacks, few bunnies.
    Lew Souder

Quote Originally Posted by lewsouder View Post
    Nothing for CA as well. If you are flying a Gos, then you will most likely be hunting Smith Valley which is in NV. Lots of jacks, few bunnies.
    My father in law used to live in Smith Valley. I dearly miss visiting him during the hunting season.....and harassing the Jacks in his neighborhood.
    Geoff Hirschi - "It is better to have lightning in the fist than thunder in the mouth"
    Custom made Tail Saver Perches - http://www.myrthwood.com/TieEmHigh/

Too bad about the lack of bunnies this year. Just two seasons ago, you couldn't walk 10 yards without stepping on one! The drought conditions the last two years has really affected the population. Not good for jacks either but they seem to be more resilient...and harder to catch.
    Lew Souder

It has been between 40-50 degrees during the day and dropping into the teens at night for the past two weeks. I'm praying for snow!
    Lew Souder

Yeomanfalconer Guest

Quote Originally Posted by lewsouder View Post
    It has been between 40-50 degrees during the day and dropping into the teens at night for the past two weeks. I'm praying for snow!
    Any big stock yards with Starlings and pigeons?

Default stockyard

Quote Originally Posted by Yeomanfalconer View Post
    Any big stock yards with Starlings and pigeons?
    Eric,
    One in Smith Valley..lots of birds around it.
    Dan Fenske
    Harrisburg, Oregon

I went out to the Topaz meet in 2007 with a friend and had a blast! I wish I could make it this year. Coming from Connecticut,where just seeing 3 rabbits in one day is worth calling all your hawking buddies,the number of jacks was just insane. We saw more rabbits the 1st day than we would see in the whole season back home!!!! Not getting ripped to a bloody mess by briars was a nice touch too. Everybody we met was as nice as you could be. Dan McClurg made my trip by taking us out with his gos. She hammered a couple jacks. Flushing jacks for the Suffredini brothers eagle was a blast too. I gotta get back out there one day.
    Nick

Not much chatter here...lets get some pre-meet dialoged going!

For those that have been in the area, what can we expect game and hunting wise? If someone wants to get an accipiter on some Chukar partridge I know a few spots and have bird dogs...the hiking could be intense though.

Are there any extracurricular activities that would be of interest to a group of falconers?

Many out-of-staters coming? I know there is a group of lady falconers that are getting ready for some kind of super secret shindig, can us fellas come too? How about the NAFA board and crew?

If anybody from Colorado is coming can you pick something up for me?

Shoot, I gotta start packing...
    Caleb Stroh
    Kaysville, UT

Quote Originally Posted by calebstroh View Post
    Not much chatter here...lets get some pre-meet dialoged going!

For those that have been in the area, what can we expect game and hunting wise? If someone wants to get an accipiter on some Chukar partridge I know a few spots and have bird dogs...the hiking could be intense though.

Are there any extracurricular activities that would be of interest to a group of falconers?

Many out-of-staters coming? I know there is a group of lady falconers that are getting ready for some kind of super secret shindig, can us fellas come too? How about the NAFA board and crew?

If anybody from Colorado is coming can you pick something up for me?

Shoot, I gotta start packing...

I wish I could attend, but time and money won't allow it. Should be a super meet, I've heard it's good jack rabbit hawking, and I bet there are plenty of other game in the area.

Caleb, I'm assuming you want some genuine Colorado Coors, right? I know in Utah they only sell the 3.2 stuff, yuk!

Have fun!
    Paul Domski
    New Mexico, USA

Quote Originally Posted by Saluqi View Post
    I wish I could attend, but time and money won't allow it.
    Is that because of all the overtime you'll have to work from those Philippine muggers taking all of your money? You should have had Manny with you.
    Darren Lemieux

I'll be there chasing jacks.
    Ricky Ortiz
    Stockton, CA

Just a reminder for everyone, make sure whenever you are hunting you personally have permission from the landowners! Not just a "go ahead" from someone who may or may not have permission. Already had some people hunting on land that is strictly a "call first" field, this week. Many farmers in the area are generous and falconry friendly, but they do like to know who is walking their fields, so it never hurts to spend an extra 5-10 minutes to talk to them before hunting.
    Ryan Moglich
    americangyrs.com

Well guys and gals, now that the meet is over, does anyone want to give a review? Due to work commitments I could not hunt during the day but I did attend the banquet. I would like to hear people's take on the event, as well as the hawking.
    Lew Souder

and pics we need lots of pics
    Chris
    Goshawks get it done with style

Thread Information