Thread: Removable Dacron Anklets

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Quote Originally Posted by murraym View Post
    Anyone tried the removable Dacron anklets from Mikes? I like the idea and want to switch to removables I'm just worried about scale damage.
    I have been using braided anklets for 8 or 9 years. On the whole, I think the leather anklet has been the achilies heel of modern leashes and jesses due to the way leather wears and breaks without warning, and the way its very suceptible to falcons and the occaisional hawk who chews on their gear.

One concern that I have had with braided and/or synthetic anklets is the abraision it would cause. I solved this for a while by glueing a leather patch on the inside.

For the last 4 or so I have been using spectra, which is very silky smooth, and dosnt cause any abraision problems. With my breeding birds I have been making thier anklets out of parachute cord - its a lot more abraisive than spectra, but since they are handled very rarely I realized it wouldnt be a problem.

I am very interested in how these Dacron ones behave. Are they lined with something? Dacron is not much, if any, less abraisive than the nylon in parachute cord.

I have been wondering if parachute cord would be safe to use for anklets, but I have not been willing to experiment when I have spectra around and KNOW how it will be. Parachute cord is a lot easier to get a hold of and work with though.

Hmmmmmm.............
    Last edited by goshawkr; 09-19-2012 at 12:42 PM.
    Geoff Hirschi - "It is better to have lightning in the fist than thunder in the mouth"
    Custom made Tail Saver Perches - http://www.myrthwood.com/TieEmHigh/

Thread Information