PDA

View Full Version : finally joined nafex

fallinghawks
02-05-2011, 01:11 AM
I've been hearing about this group for ages, and your fine and upstanding moderator Paul Domski got me to sign up.

I've been a dirthawker for almost 20 years. Tiercel Harris hawks for most of it, along with a lot of jacks, bunnies, and crows, but the accipiter was always in my heart. Got a sharpy in 09, imprinted, caught 20 head before he got asper. This year I have a tiercel gos and am having a blast with bunnies and recently crow. This is the first gos I've trained... training HHs was a long time ago, and very different. Game count so far is 78 CT, 5 crows, 1 pheasant, 1 misc bird, 1 g-squirrel. That's a joy, but there are other issues that bug me, like screaming and hooding.

I can see I have a ton of reading in front of me :)

FredFogg
02-05-2011, 01:17 AM
Welcome to the monkey house! :D

Shock
02-05-2011, 01:34 AM
(welc) it's always nice to see new faces.

Colt
02-05-2011, 09:10 AM
Welcome

frootdog
02-05-2011, 12:10 PM
As the tattoo artist told me after my first tat "Welcome to your new addiction".

everetkhorton
02-05-2011, 12:42 PM
(welc) to NAFEX Andrea, some birds are just wired differently.

MrBill
02-05-2011, 08:22 PM
Hey Adrea,

Good to see you again. It's been a long time

Bill Boni

fallinghawks
02-06-2011, 12:40 AM
Thanks everyone for the warm welcome :)
@Frederic - nice looking bird you've got there
@Bill -- Good to see you too! I could never really get into IFF... Yahoo huntinghawks has been pretty much the only site I look at, and it has its own weirdnesses, so I hardly ever go there either. Just been doing my own thing and getting help directly from friends. Paul and Steve B have given me good advice with the gos.

Coopergirl
02-06-2011, 12:59 AM
Hi Andrea, Niki here. Like we need more computer related falconry addictions!!

fallinghawks
02-06-2011, 02:59 AM
Hey Niki, you're here too! Cool!

bobpayne
02-06-2011, 04:24 PM
I've been hearing about this group for ages, and your fine and upstanding moderator Paul Domski got me to sign up.

I've been a dirthawker for almost 20 years. Tiercel Harris hawks for most of it, along with a lot of jacks, bunnies, and crows, but the accipiter was always in my heart. Got a sharpy in 09, imprinted, caught 20 head before he got asper. This year I have a tiercel gos and am having a blast with bunnies and recently crow. This is the first gos I've trained?training HHs was a long time ago, and very different. Game count so far is 78 CT, 5 crows, 1 pheasant, 1 misc bird, 1 g-squirrel. That's a joy, but there are other issues that bug me, like screaming and hooding.

I can see I have a ton of reading in front of me :)

Goshawk..really?

fallinghawks
02-06-2011, 05:04 PM
^ that kind of bird, up there.

What, are the numbers too small? ;) Make that 8 crows, as of this a.m.

California Native
02-06-2011, 09:50 PM
Welcome Andrea and please share your falconry.

Dan

Saluqi
02-06-2011, 10:26 PM
^ that kind of bird, up there.

What, are the numbers too small? ;) Make that 8 crows, as of this a.m.

My first season with my first gos we got about 40 bunnies and a couple of quail. I worked my ass off for those rabbits, the rabbits had crashed that year - something that you can't predict when you lay out your plans to imprint an accipiter - and we had to hunt in the pinion/juniper forests and every slip was cherished and memorable. In my mind your gos is a made hawk and you could have hung up the gauntlet a good while ago and you have been way ahead of the game.

fallinghawks
02-06-2011, 10:36 PM
Yeah, I've been through some bad years for bunnies. Last year was a good year, though, and there was still carryover to this year, so I was lucky. I'm glad he's expanding his repertoire, I had gotten him a little too wed to bunnies. Hopefully ducks someday soon.