PDA

View Full Version : Good Evening

Hatchet
02-18-2011, 03:12 AM
I am new to the concept of falconry in general and would like some help getting started. Now just a little break of honesty I am not quite out of high school and so do not have much extra spending money at all. What isn't going into my tank of a truck is going into care for my gelding, Tobias, and tuition for farrier school and apprenticeships. From what I have read you need an apprenticeship of 2 years to be able to do this, so here’s my question. Is it possible that an aspiring rancher would be able to begin the task of falconry without breaking the bank? Please be honest as I would rather have a direct no then find out later that it won’t work. Any information will help! Thanks in advance.

-Hatchet

zero
02-18-2011, 03:49 AM
(welc)!!!!!!!!

In all honesty Falconry can not only be expensive but also very time consuming. The apprenticeship is not that expensive (if you make most your stuff and find a generous sponsor lol). Since you live in Oregon, you will be limited to the RT or Kestrel, for now anyways and they are free :D.

The most expensive item will be building your mews. When I started this journey (not too long ago), I spent about $400 building my mews, another $150 on books and around $200 on basic falconry equipment. Since then I have invested another thousand dollars. I think a more important question would be…will you have the time to dedicate to your raptor?

BTW feel free to email me J. Ohh and where in Oregon?

Hatchet
02-18-2011, 04:09 AM
All right, those prices I think I can tackle. I can't start working on anything until after farrier school due to monetary restrictions and deciding on where to live. As far as time, working as a farrier I decide my own hours so that should be of little problem. Thank you for the help!

Right now I am stuck on the coastline -_- though next year I will be moving to Idaho, Oklahoma, Texas, or Kentucky, hence waiting so I don't have to deal with the whole new license for cross state stuff.

Oh, and is there anything I should start studying/making/buying now that will help make the leap? I already have a few spirals full of notes on the RT.

zero
02-18-2011, 04:18 AM
Just remember those prices are not set in stone LOL, it might cost you more or less. As for "studying/making/buying" I think you found a great source for most information on falconry...just search the different threads and just ask questions :). It also wouldnt hurt to go to your local library, they sometimes have falconry books. Check out the site below too, ton of info there!

http://www.themodernapprentice.com/

Colt
02-18-2011, 09:00 AM
Also keep in mind if your raptor gets sick or injured you might have vet bills.

everetkhorton
02-18-2011, 09:08 AM
Hatchet:
Seeing you will be moving with in the next year you will not be building a mew. I think the first thing I would do is join you State falconry club. To get a feel for the sport and meet falconers. I would also join the North American Falconers Association. There web site it www.n-a-f-a.com (http://www.n-a-f-a.com) There is getting to be a lot of books on the subject. Some library's have book you can get. You will want to see what game there is in your new area. Enjoy the journey!

frootdog
02-18-2011, 01:46 PM
Get some basic books now, read and study. That will get you through until you decide where to live. In the mean time you can set aside some money in savings for the biggest expenses.

gos'n
02-18-2011, 01:58 PM
Get some basic books now, read and study. That will get you through until you decide where to live. In the mean time you can set aside some money in savings for the biggest expenses.

Sound advice.

chamokane
02-18-2011, 02:18 PM
If your local library doesn't have any good falconry books, there might be a possibility that they would be willing to purchase one or more. The little library closest to where I live has been more than willing to buy books that I ask for. I try not to abuse the service.

The advice others have offered about reading, joining clubs, and getting to know falconers is good advice. You can also spend some time out in the field watching wild hawks, looking for game and studying the game animals habits. Falconry is basically a form of hunting.

sharptail
02-18-2011, 04:59 PM
The fact is that falconry has been practiced on little more than a shoe string.

Montucky
02-18-2011, 05:56 PM
The fact is that falconry has been practiced on little more than a shoe string.

This is true...in my darkest, most pennyless moments I still had pheasant omlettes, pheasant breast sandwich, pheasant salad sandwich, pheasant ka-bobs, teriyaki pheasant, phasant scampi, cajun pheasant, breaded pheasant, stir-fry pheasant, grilled pheasant, pheasant milanese, pheasant marsala, pheasant tacos, pheasant burritos, pheasant mole' hmmm.....depending on your quarry where you live, you can just interchange rabbit, duck or grouse or squirrel with each of these dishes.

Squirrelhawkin
02-18-2011, 07:00 PM
This is true...in my darkest, most pennyless moments I still had pheasant omlettes, pheasant breast sandwich, pheasant salad sandwich, pheasant ka-bobs, teriyaki pheasant, phasant scampi, cajun pheasant, breaded pheasant, stir-fry pheasant, grilled pheasant, pheasant milanese, pheasant marsala, pheasant tacos, pheasant burritos, pheasant mole' hmmm.....depending on your quarry where you live, you can just interchange rabbit, duck or grouse or squirrel with each of these dishes.

Did you work at the Bubba Gump pheasant company???toungeout

zero
02-18-2011, 07:07 PM
Did you work at the Bubba Gump pheasant company???toungeout

LOl i was thinking the same thing!

Montucky
02-18-2011, 07:10 PM
yes i was making a reference to forest gump...good for you;)

Betelgeuse
02-19-2011, 02:58 AM
I know a falconer who waaaaay back in the day was in farrier school while finishing highschool and had a black gelding to take care of....while he was flying RTs, Kestrels and whatever else took his fancy (this was pre apprenticship/trapping laws, practically the dark ages).

How does pheasant scampi work?confusedd:D

Hatchet
02-19-2011, 03:20 AM
So there is hope! What exactly do you do as an apprentice falconer? I know farrier stuff is more like a job until you are ready to go off on your own.

frootdog
02-19-2011, 10:10 AM
So there is hope! What exactly do you do as an apprentice falconer? I know farrier stuff is more like a job until you are ready to go off on your own.

Reading your state falconry regs or this

http://www.nafex.net/showthread.php?t=2007

http://www.nafex.net/forumdisplay.php?f=34

will help answer the basics, but the short answer is you still get to fly and hunt with a bird.

zero
02-19-2011, 12:21 PM

Lets see, As an apprentice falconer...everything you do (falconry related) is with the approval of your sponsor :). Your sponsor will teach you how to trap and train your first raptor. He or She can also teach you how to make falconry equipment (trap, anklets, jesses, etc). Your sponsor will be the first person you contact with any falconry related issues. I know i ran into a lot of roadblocks and was very thankful to have a great sponsor. They pretty much watch over the apprentice so they don't kill/harm any raptors. A lot of people develop good relationships with their sponsors that turn into long friendships. Even though i am a general class now, i still call up my former sponsor and ask for his advice.

I am sure some of the more experienced can give you a better answer to this :)

smallfish
02-28-2011, 02:28 AM
The little library closest to where I live has been more than willing to buy books that I ask for. I try not to abuse the service.