PDA

View Full Version : Hi from So Cal

iraptor
02-22-2011, 08:08 PM
Hi everyone...I'm Deann. I've passed my California exam, got a sponsor, and need some plans & ideas to build a mews (for a Kestrel) in order to get my license.

I hope this is the place for that and to maybe find falconers in the proximity of Long Beach who would be willing to share the art. There is a bit of distance and time constraints with my sponsor. I respect and trust his opinion and will go by his rules. Just thought it would be nice to have access to someone more local in addition to him. I've read about falconry for years and need to see it more in practice. I'm a current CHC member, also.

Well...gonna go look around,

Thanks, Deann

KidK
02-22-2011, 08:42 PM
Welcome to NAFEX Deann!

(welc)

There are a number of falconers here flying kestrel and great resources of information on them too.. Check out the "Longwing" section.

Sounds like you have already done much of the initial work involved in getting started, which is great to see. :D

iraptor
02-22-2011, 09:14 PM
or anything like that...just read a scary post here and wanted to clarify that...

raptrlvr
02-22-2011, 09:36 PM
Good luck finding places to hawk in Long Beach. A lot of the guys who live in the city head out to Rancho Cucamonga on the weekend to get away from the crowds. I lived and worked in Long Beach for many years and my sister still lives there as well as my in laws.

iraptor
02-22-2011, 11:06 PM
Good luck finding places to hawk in Long Beach. A lot of the guys who live in the city head out to Rancho Cucamonga on the weekend to get away from the crowds. I lived and worked in Long Beach for many years and my sister still lives there as well as my in laws.

Thanks for your reply...I'm a determined woman, so I'm prepared to go where I need to go to hawk. :) I'm glad I got to this forum so I can hopefully learn from someone in the area, as I am new to all this. I have family in Long Beach, too.

falcon23
02-22-2011, 11:37 PM
GOODLUCK. im from los angeles and the hardest part is finding a sponsor!

Coopergirl
02-22-2011, 11:40 PM
Hi Deann. I think it is a good idea to make a mews to hold a number of different sized raptors. In order to secure a kestrel though, you can put hardware cloth on the outside of the bars, so they can't squeeze through. You may know this already, but a kestrel needs to be kept indoors in winter to maintain flying weight. A kestrel outside in a cold snap is a dead one! So anyhow build a mews to get your inspection passed, but talk with your sponsor about proper set ups for keeping kestrels indoors. Good luck!

REYNALDO
02-22-2011, 11:50 PM
(welc)! good luck on your project and good luck on the kestrel. they are fun birds to fly! a lot of great info here. i learnt alot here and people are really helpful.

everetkhorton
02-23-2011, 12:39 AM
(welc) to NAFEX Deann!

frootdog
02-23-2011, 05:22 AM
(welc). Welcome to NAFEX. I guess I will be the first to ask.... shouldn't you be asking your sponsor for mews building advice? Sure you will find a loot of kestrel hawkers here and get good ideas, but ultimately they are going to have the final say. And for what it's worth i agree with the previous thought that you should build large for the future.

iraptor
02-23-2011, 07:35 PM
(welc). Welcome to NAFEX. I guess I will be the first to ask.... shouldn't you be asking your sponsor for mews building advice? Sure you will find a loot of kestrel hawkers here and get good ideas, but ultimately they are going to have the final say. And for what it's worth i agree with the previous thought that you should build large for the future.

Thanks for your input...yes, my sponsor is assisting me. I had some constraints that required some more research. Like I said, I respect his opinion...just broadening the horizon, so to speak...Best regards, Deann

iraptor
07-19-2011, 05:46 PM
Wanted to let you know that I've completed my mews and everything required, with my sponsor's help.

Against all odds, I received my license last Friday.

calebstroh
07-20-2011, 09:55 AM
Outstanding! Please keep us posted as to your progress.

Joby
07-20-2011, 10:37 AM
CONGRATS!!! Now the fun begins!!

FredFogg
07-20-2011, 11:48 AM
Wanted to let you know that I've completed my mews and everything required, with my sponsor's help.

Against all odds, I received my license last Friday.

Uhmm, again, we don't believe you completed your mews until we see pictures! LOL :D

Oh yeah, congrats, you are going to have a blast!

goshawk5890
07-20-2011, 12:19 PM
I live 20 min from Long Beach and didn't have trouble with catching game (cottontails). You just have to search really well for places to hunt. It can be done. Finding a sponsor is another thing; took me three years to get one.