PDA

View Full Version : Greetings from a land far far away

Duke
03-07-2011, 11:49 AM
Hello all...

Been interested in falconry for a while, and while I'm killing time, and winning "hearts and minds" confusedd , I figured now was the time to start reading, studying, and preparing for a test.

I'm also looking to see if the commitment is something that I want. I mean... there's owning a dog, and there's owning and hunting a falcon. crazyy

everetkhorton
03-07-2011, 12:51 PM
Duke:
(welc) to NAFEX. You will find there is not a lot of down time when first starting out in the sport of falconry. Things can move very slow at times.
We like to have everyone sign there post. You can have your post sign auto by using the User CP in the upper left hand corner. Enjoy the site, learn how it works etc. There is a lot of information on many subjects related to the sport.

capnsanders
03-07-2011, 01:25 PM
OIF / OEF?

How long have you been studying falconry?

Duke
03-07-2011, 01:32 PM
Everet,

I'm a little cautious about using my name on posts due to my current employment situation, and working globally.

@Capn Have been in both. Got out in 08, working for a private company now. Leave again on Sunday. I've been interested in falconry for years, never been in a position to do anything about it. I went to the Renaissance Festival a few weeks ago, and met Ian Wolf while they were doing their show, and it piqued my interest again.

I spend a lot of time reading, so I'll put down the skin rag and read something I've been interested in. :D

I'm thinking a place in Colorado, or Utah might suit me when I get back. Getting tired of the constant travel, and such. Native to AZ.

I was looking at the Andoid Market on my Xoom for books to read, and there's nothing available yet, but there is through Amazon and Kindle. Saw this forum also, so I thought it'd be a good place to start.

capnsanders
03-07-2011, 01:52 PM
The Kindle is a god send when in transit. If you get the lighted case, even better. Most of my superiors had those and there were many hours of productive reading in transit. It is a much better choice then scouring the hundreds of used books hoping to find something worth your time. I hate losing internet access in transit as most of my reading is online. Do you expect to have the opportunity to circulate and engage any resident falconers or will your workload prevent that?

I am occasionaly working through my people to find resident falconers. Not sure if they are worth the effort to seek out. From what I have heard about the ones in my AO it has been their life's task. I just don't know that I could glean enough real knowledge to make it worth the effort to find them.

Duke
03-07-2011, 02:03 PM
I have a Kindle app on my Xoom so I can do a direct download. And watch movies, and listen to music. So... the 26 hours tends to go by fairly well. I'm done with carrying books around the world. With the Xoom, I can download the book to the Xoom, so it's available offline. GODSEND! And there's a micro-SD slot, so I have an extra 32GB of storage. iPad eat your heart out. :)

My dealings with the Afghanis has been "tolerable" at best. We merely tolerate each other. And they warm up by committee. It's never a 1v1 deal with them. But, befriend one, befriend most. Some will still flatly reject you.

I do the best that I can in connecting with them, but there's a healthy level of distrust in both directions. Thankfully, I'm working "down south" for a bit.

jfseaman
03-07-2011, 02:04 PM
Everet,

I'm a little cautious about using my name on posts due to my current employment situation, and working globally.

@Capn Have been in both. Got out in 08, working for a private company now. Leave again on Sunday. I've been interested in falconry for years, never been in a position to do anything about it. I went to the Renaissance Festival a few weeks ago, and met Ian Wolf while they were doing their show, and it piqued my interest again.

I spend a lot of time reading, so I'll put down the skin rag and read something I've been interested in. :D

I'm thinking a place in Colorado, or Utah might suit me when I get back. Getting tired of the constant travel, and such. Native to AZ.

I was looking at the Andoid Market on my Xoom for books to read, and there's nothing available yet, but there is through Amazon and Kindle. Saw this forum also, so I thought it'd be a good place to start.
IYDK: there is a Kindle app for droid.

everetkhorton
03-07-2011, 02:12 PM
Everet,

I understand, who knows if any of us are useing our real first names anyway. confusedd

Duke
03-07-2011, 02:17 PM
Yessir. Got it, and like everything else on the Xoom, figuring out how to maximize it. Thanks, though.

Desertfalcon
03-07-2011, 02:36 PM
Welcome Duke! I'm new here as well. (welc)

borderhawk
03-07-2011, 03:04 PM

You don't have to use your full name, just a nickname that people can refer to you. (ie... if your William and some people call you Bill.. just sign as "Bill".. that can't be too incriminating?) Just something that'll make us all feel better.. ;)

If you're in Phoenix right now there are a number of active falconers in that area. A couple check in on this site occasionally. There's one in the Mesa/Chandler area I can refer you to if you want to go out in the field to see a bird slay some jacks and get a chance to talk to someone in person. :)

Duke
03-07-2011, 03:59 PM
@Michelle; PM sent.

sharptail
03-07-2011, 04:44 PM
I am occasionaly working through my people to find resident falconers. Not sure if they are worth the effort to seek out. From what I have heard about the ones in my AO it has been their life's task. I just don't know that I could glean enough real knowledge to make it worth the effort to find them.Pictures and a report of foreign falconers/falconry would make a great thread here on Nafex!

Welcome aboard gents! Thanks for your service!!

Joby
03-07-2011, 06:46 PM
Pictures and a report of foreign falconers/falconry would make a great thread here on Nafex!

Just don't go putting yourself in any dangerous "situations" just to get those photos! ;)

Duke
03-08-2011, 11:00 AM
Pictures and a report of foreign falconers/falconry would make a great thread here on Nafex!

Welcome aboard gents! Thanks for your service!!

I'll see what I can drum up. I also do a lot of photography, and usually have something to shoot with while we're out and about.

If anyone from Phoenix is going out before Sunday, I'd love to go rip some shots if you'll let me tag along.

It's not a raptor, but it flies. ;)

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b385/USNATC/DBal1-1.jpg
http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b385/USNATC/Kidd1.jpg
http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b385/USNATC/Combo1.jpg
http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b385/USNATC/VargusCrew.jpg
http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b385/USNATC/B1.jpg

ptotten
03-08-2011, 11:31 AM
Welcome, Duke! My daughter is in the ANG. Civil Enginering, Readiness. And again, thanks for your service, and those great pics!
Just so you know, it is a requirement of this site that you sign some sort of name to your posts....and in that regard, you're no different than the rest of us, soldier!! LOL!!:D

Saluqi
03-08-2011, 12:55 PM
Everet,

Hi Duke,

I appreciate your situation, how about signing your first name since that IS the only requirement. Thanks.

Duke
03-08-2011, 03:01 PM
I'll use my nickname, Duke. It is the name I use when I work. My name is unique and easily recognizable. If the use of my name (or lack thereof) is this big of an issue, I apologize.

I understand that falconry is a global lifestyle. I also understand that there are people on this forum who are from various parts of the world, some of which we are currently involved in armed conflict with, and some of whom I may come into contact with.

Please respect my wish to protect myself and those I operate with. I have no problem using my name with those whom I know, and will get to know through my time on the forum.

borderhawk
03-08-2011, 03:08 PM
Ya know, I swear I thought that if your username was the name you go by then you didn't have to put it in your signature.... did that change?

frootdog
03-09-2011, 04:27 AM
Ya know, I swear I thought that if your username was the name you go by then you didn't have to put it in your signature.... did that change?

It has always been REAL 1st name. See this thread starting at post #8.

http://www.nafex.net/showthread.php?t=8514

FredFogg
03-09-2011, 05:32 AM
I'll use my nickname, Duke. It is the name I use when I work. My name is unique and easily recognizable. If the use of my name (or lack thereof) is this big of an issue, I apologize.

I understand that falconry is a global lifestyle. I also understand that there are people on this forum who are from various parts of the world, some of which we are currently involved in armed conflict with, and some of whom I may come into contact with.

Please respect my wish to protect myself and those I operate with. I have no problem using my name with those whom I know, and will get to know through my time on the forum.

The only thing I see here is defiance! You could have easily just told everyone a made up name (Jim, Bill, Tom) and no one would have known better but you have to keep going on about this secret lifestyle. Bull crap! Not needed here, who knows, you could be someone trying to gather information on poor unsuspecting folks on here! I smell a rat! confusedd

ptotten
03-10-2011, 02:25 PM
I'll use my nickname, Duke. It is the name I use when I work. My name is unique and easily recognizable.
I understand that there are people on this forum who are from various parts of the world, some of which we are currently involved in armed conflict with, and some of whom I may come into contact with.

Then why would you risk sending pictures of yourself on the tarmac of what I assume is your base? Wouldn't that put you at greater risk? I saw on TV that if you take a picture with one of the new "smart phones" and post it online, someone else can get the coordinates of where that pic was taken. Creepy....

outhawkn
03-10-2011, 02:46 PM
The only thing I see here is defiance! You could have easily just told everyone a made up name (Jim, Bill, Tom) and no one would have known better but you have to keep going on about this secret lifestyle. Bull crap! Not needed here, who knows, you could be someone trying to gather information on poor unsuspecting folks on here! I smell a rat! confusedd

Ya, I used "Bill" with no problem...toungeout:D

ptotten
03-10-2011, 04:08 PM
Feeling like a nut, Bill?? ;)

Duke
03-10-2011, 04:51 PM
Wow. Bring out the welcome wagon. I feel special.

And to those who want to accuse me of anything,

They see you trollin..... They hatin... Tryin a catch me postin dirtay.

preacher boy
03-11-2011, 07:36 PM

Amen, I like that Fred !!

ptotten
03-15-2011, 03:11 PM
Wow. Bring out the welcome wagon. I feel special.

And to those who want to accuse me of anything,

They see you trollin..... They hatin... Tryin a catch me postin dirtay.
Actually, I WAS bringing out the welcome wagon..... my daughter (a life-er in the NJ Air National Guard) LIKES it when she is treated "the same as the rest of us" instead of a "soldier". So that's why I wrote: "you're no different than the rest of us soldier" Every newbie who posts on this forum is told right away that they must sign their name to their posts. So, er, um, you're no different!

Duke
03-17-2011, 12:52 AM
Actually, I WAS bringing out the welcome wagon..... my daughter (a life-er in the NJ Air National Guard) LIKES it when she is treated "the same as the rest of us" instead of a "soldier". So that's why I wrote: "you're no different than the rest of us soldier" Every newbie who posts on this forum is told right away that they must sign their name to their posts. So, er, um, you're no different!

Peg, I appreciate your input. Is it POSSIBLE that my circumstances and hers are different? I assure you that they are. Let's leave it at this; there are people on this forum who have been corresponded with and I have let a few people on the forum know who "really" am. Take that for what it's worth.

Call it secretive, or whatever. There is nothing in my "newbieness" that entitles the members to anything. And so, I choose to be proactive in protecting myself, and those I work with.

Michelle,

Thanks SO much for the hook-up this weekend. Had an absolute blast! Look for pics. ;)

ptotten
03-17-2011, 08:06 AM
Peg, I appreciate your input. Is it POSSIBLE that my circumstances and hers are different? I assure you that they are. Let's leave it at this; there are people on this forum who have been corresponded with and I have let a few people on the forum know who "really" am. Take that for what it's worth.

Call it secretive, or whatever. There is nothing in my "newbieness" that entitles the members to anything. And so, I choose to be proactive in protecting myself, and those I work with.

Whoa.....