PDA

View Full Version : "Keiger" Dutch Hood

sakerjack
03-13-2011, 07:10 AM
Here is my new style Dutch hood. I bought a hood on e-bay from Montana falconer and hoodmaker Gerald Geiger. The hood was very well made and it was similar to the Chinook Dennis Maynes Dutch pattern, yet different. I tweeked Dennis' pattern and then added Geralds little twist being the throat slash.
Gerald's hood is one of my favourites of my collection.

http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll64/sakerjack/DSCF4208.jpg

http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll64/sakerjack/DSCF4206.jpg

http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll64/sakerjack/DSCF4210.jpg

California Native
03-13-2011, 09:53 AM
That's a great look Ken, with a design almost like a Arab-Syrian-Dutch cross.

Gerald made me four hoods around 1985. They looked and fit so well. Their shape allowed the hood to slip further onto the head if the falcons shook their heads. The design of those hoods then, reminded me of the style used when Bob Martin was making hoods. I believe that Jack Stoddart may know if Bob was using a particular block and pattern then and if Gerald used the same block and pattern. Maybe Jack will add some history to this.

Dan

sakerjack
03-14-2011, 04:00 PM
That's a great look Ken, with a design almost like a Arab-Syrian-Dutch cross.

Gerald made me four hoods around 1985. They looked and fit so well. Their shape allowed the hood to slip further onto the head if the falcons shook their heads. The design of those hoods then, reminded me of the style used when Bob Martin was making hoods. I believe that Jack Stoddart may know if Bob was using a particular block and pattern then and if Gerald used the same block and pattern. Maybe Jack will add some history to this.

Dan

Thank you Dan. The hood I got from Gerald is one of my favourites of my collection that is over 150. Well made and I really liked the look of it. I have photos of a Bob Martin hood but alas I do not have one of his hoods. One day maybe..

gos'n
03-14-2011, 05:06 PM
Slick hood Ken. Always nice to see something different.

California Native
03-15-2011, 09:49 AM
Thank you Dan. The hood I got from Gerald is one of my favourites of my collection that is over 150. Well made and I really liked the look of it. I have photos of a Bob Martin hood but alas I do not have one of his hoods. One day maybe..

Ken,

Bob now lives in Montana. He talks of getting another falcon but I don't know if he has. A friend here has one of his hand carved wooden blocks and a hood. When Bob stopped making hoods is when my friend got the hood and block. Long time ago now.

Dan

sakerjack
03-20-2011, 10:47 AM
Just finished I think these colors show off the hood better

http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll64/sakerjack/DSCF4214.jpg

passagejack
03-20-2011, 11:26 AM
Nice hood Ken! I've seen one of Geralds hoods years ago. It fit well and had a very interesting
cut to it. I liked it!

falcon56
03-20-2011, 12:56 PM
Just finished I think these colors show off the hood better

http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll64/sakerjack/DSCF4214.jpg

Ken,
Just wondering what the point is of the lacing. Gerald does it because he can't sew piping of either kind because of arthritis in his fingers and the lacing was a throwback to Mavro and Luff Meredith patterns. Seems to be extra work on your part and serves no function. You make such beautifully crafted hoods, the pattern of this hood itself, plus all the intricate tooling would stand by itself without the lacing. Personally, I think it detracts from the obvious aesthetics. Just one mans opinion.

sakerjack
03-20-2011, 04:40 PM
Nice hood Ken! I've seen one of Geralds hoods years ago. It fit well and had a very interesting
cut to it. I liked it!

Thank you Jeremy.

sakerjack
03-20-2011, 04:53 PM
Ken,
Just wondering what the point is of the lacing. Gerald does it because he can't sew piping of either kind because of arthritis in his fingers and the lacing was a throwback to Mavro and Luff Meredith patterns. Seems to be extra work on your part and serves no function. You make such beautifully crafted hoods, the pattern of this hood itself, plus all the intricate tooling would stand by itself without the lacing. Personally, I think it detracts from the obvious aesthetics. Just one mans opinion.

Hello Ray I appreciate your input. I did not realise Gerald has these problems. Why the lacing? I had been making a hood like the one shown for a few years but changed the style of my Dutch hood as I thought it was missing something. When I bought Gerald's hood on e-bay and saw photos of the hood I was bidding on I did not realize it had the lacing. When I opened the box and looked at his hood I went WOW that is what my hood was missing. I then said what would I do to make mine different,,, add the lacing and keep the neck piping. I like the "Old World Look" that the lacing gave my Khan hood and what it did for this hood.
There are so many things we hoodmakers put on a hood that really serve no function at all. Sewn center panels, leather rings, washers, beads, tooling, multi colored hoods etc. Why do we add these, to add our personal touch to a hood and to make our hood unique.
Hey we all have opinions, I thank you for your kind comments,

sakerjack
03-21-2011, 03:39 PM
Ken,

Hello F56,, I am making another and will make it without the lacing. I received an order yesterday for one and he wanted it without the lacing and today I got an order for two with lacing. HMM maybe offer it as an option? You may be on to something.

Pedioecetes
03-25-2011, 11:54 PM
Hi Ken,
I have a 3 piece pattern that Jim Weaver gave me in the late seventies. Bob Martin drew this pattern up to fit a gyrkin Jim was flying in the early seventies. I made a hood with that pattern for a gyrkin Jim gave me in '79 and I blocked it on a gyrkin hood mold that came my way from Bob Anderson in the early 70's and it fit the gyrkin very well. I have used that hood on two Prairies and just last year started using it on my Peregrine. The Prairies, a passage of mine and an eyas of my neighbour's, just didn't do well with a "normal" sized Prairie pattern and when I put the gyrkin hood on them they settled right down. Last year my Peregrine just wasn't happy with the hood I had used on her for six seasons, so one evening I put the gyrkin hood on her and once on she never scratches or shakes her head, so I've used it ever since. This gyrkin pattern was made for the gyrkin Jim had, who had some fit issues with previous hoods, but settled down as soon as this hood was used. Neither of the Prairies or the Peregrine have ever taken it off, which was my first thought. It, of course is, a bit bigger on the head but the neck opening is only slightly bigger than the previous hoods used. Pro hood makers would probably not concur, but I like this pattern and it molds out well on that block. I made a copy of the block 25 years ago for Dale G. and he has used it with a pattern of his for gyrkins, Prairies and a couple of hybrids.

sakerjack
03-26-2011, 01:41 PM
Hi Ken,
I have a 3 piece pattern that Jim Weaver gave me in the late seventies. Bob Martin drew this pattern up to fit a gyrkin Jim was flying in the early seventies. I made a hood with that pattern for a gyrkin Jim gave me in '79 and I blocked it on a gyrkin hood mold that came my way from Bob Anderson in the early 70's and it fit the gyrkin very well. I have used that hood on two Prairies and just last year started using it on my Peregrine. The Prairies, a passage of mine and an eyas of my neighbour's, just didn't do well with a "normal" sized Prairie pattern and when I put the gyrkin hood on them they settled right down. Last year my Peregrine just wasn't happy with the hood I had used on her for six seasons, so one evening I put the gyrkin hood on her and once on she never scratches or shakes her head, so I've used it ever since. This gyrkin pattern was made for the gyrkin Jim had, who had some fit issues with previous hoods, but settled down as soon as this hood was used. Neither of the Prairies or the Peregrine have ever taken it off, which was my first thought. It, of course is, a bit bigger on the head but the neck opening is only slightly bigger than the previous hoods used. Pro hood makers would probably not concur, but I like this pattern and it molds out well on that block. I made a copy of the block 25 years ago for Dale G. and he has used it with a pattern of his for gyrkins, Prairies and a couple of hybrids.

Hello Bob, interesting. I like a hood that allows a bit more head room personally. I think how you block a hood makes a difference as I block my hoods very differently than most, if not all. If you ever want to share the pattern I will gladly make you a hood from it.
Ray well seemd you are correct I have had 7 orders for the Keiger hood, 4 with 3 without the lacing so I offer a choice now. Thanks again for your input.

http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll64/sakerjack/Keiger_Dutch_4d8d25834d1f6.jpg

California Native
03-26-2011, 03:03 PM
Hello Bob, interesting. I like a hood that allows a bit more head room personally. I think how you block a hood makes a difference as I block my hoods very differently than most, if not all. If you ever want to share the pattern I will gladly make you a hood from it.
Ray well seemd you are correct I have had 7 orders for the Keiger hood, 4 with 3 without the lacing so I offer a choice now. Thanks again for your input.

http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll64/sakerjack/Keiger_Dutch_4d8d25834d1f6.jpg

Bob & Ken,

Interesting to read about a hood design that fits all of the species Bob mentions. How about posting a photo on this thread of that hood. Would be interesting to see ( if you can ? ) what makes the hood so comfortable for each species.
Currently, I am waiting for a pattern that Jack Stoddart told me about. It is an Anglo-Indian style made from a formula derived by a friend of Jack's. A man named Hulsey Ferrill. Hulsey took measurements from two Anglo-Indian hoods that Jack had in the latter 1960s and from there he created a formula much like that of Slijpers formula. This hood is said to fit Prairie Falcons well. I am eager to stitch one up and see its finished shape.

Dan

Pedioecetes
03-26-2011, 10:08 PM
Hi Dan,
This pattern is not meant to be a one size fits all, of course. A pro hood maker would likely be rolling his eyes over me using it for what I mentioned. My criteria for hoods is that the bird is comfortable and can't get it off. I like good workmanship too. For the first six seasons my Peregrine wore a hood I bought from Ray Gilbertson when he, Dan Konkel and I went to the 89 NAFA meet together. I used it on a couple of other falcons before this one. It fit well, but I noticed this falcon starting to make issues with it at the start of the 7th season. Switched to the old gyrkin hood and no more issues so just kept using it. I suspect she just got tired of something. The hood was the same, I re-dyed it a few times and put new braces on it every year, but... Its still in good shape and could well be used again.

I made a lot of hoods in the 60's and 70's. Made some of my own blocks and patterns but for some reason haven't made more than a couple in the last 25 years. I was spoiled because my good friend Gerald Geiger used to send me hoods out of the kindness of his heart. I have two of the design the Keiger is derived from that he sent me for "Lucas", my tiercel Peregrine when he first started making them. Nice, light design that birds like to wear.

Pedioecetes
03-26-2011, 10:16 PM
Hi Ken,
Been thinking about your offer---trade a hood for a pattern. Well, I don't really like that idea, its not fair. So, I will send you the pattern and a copy of that gyrkin mold for a hood. I will paint the mold over the next few days, I made it out of dental plaster, and get it in the mail. I think that is fairer, you are still doing way more than me to make this work. The block is not a perfect fit to the pattern, but I will explain what I modify when I send it.

Will try and send some pics onto this thread of that hood. I made it, as I said, in 1979 and its probably spent almost 10 seasons being used so it probably looks a bit rough compared to your work.

Pedioecetes
03-26-2011, 11:29 PM
Snapshots of hood.
006.jpghttp://i1224.photobucket.com/albums/ee379/Pedioecetes/005.jpg

Pedioecetes
03-26-2011, 11:33 PM
Wouldn't post together.
005.jpghttp://i1224.photobucket.com/albums/ee379/Pedioecetes/006.jpg

sakerjack
03-27-2011, 10:11 AM
Hi Ken,
Been thinking about your offer---trade a hood for a pattern. Well, I don't really like that idea, its not fair. So, I will send you the pattern and a copy of that gyrkin mold for a hood. I will paint the mold over the next few days, I made it out of dental plaster, and get it in the mail. I think that is fairer, you are still doing way more than me to make this work. The block is not a perfect fit to the pattern, but I will explain what I modify when I send it.

Will try and send some pics onto this thread of that hood. I made it, as I said, in 1979 and its probably spent almost 10 seasons being used so it probably looks a bit rough compared to your work.

WOW,, I say that is a heck of a deal, thank you Bob.

passagejack
03-27-2011, 10:46 AM
Bob.... could you post a picture of the hoods profile while closed? Thanks!

falcon56
03-27-2011, 11:19 AM
Hi Dan,
This pattern is not meant to be a one size fits all, of course. A pro hood maker would likely be rolling his eyes over me using it for what I mentioned. My criteria for hoods is that the bird is comfortable and can't get it off. I like good workmanship too. For the first six seasons my Peregrine wore a hood I bought from Ray Gilbertson when he, Dan Konkel and I went to the 89 NAFA meet together. I used it on a couple of other falcons before this one. It fit well, but I noticed this falcon starting to make issues with it at the start of the 7th season. Switched to the old gyrkin hood and no more issues so just kept using it. I suspect she just got tired of something. The hood was the same, I re-dyed it a few times and put new braces on it every year, but... Its still in good shape and could well be used again.

I made a lot of hoods in the 60's and 70's. Made some of my own blocks and patterns but for some reason haven't made more than a couple in the last 25 years. I was spoiled because my good friend Gerald Geiger used to send me hoods out of the kindness of his heart. I have two of the design the Keiger is derived from that he sent me for "Lucas", my tiercel Peregrine when he first started making them. Nice, light design that birds like to wear.

Jeez, Bob, that's a pretty good unsolicited product endorsement, thanks. Tell Sandra I say hi.

sakerjack
03-27-2011, 11:33 AM
Jeez, Bob, that's a pretty good unsolicited product endorsement, thanks. Tell Sandra I say hi.

Hello again Ray, how much did you pay Bob?? LOL

falcon56
03-27-2011, 11:40 AM
I'm embarrassed to say not a "loonie" was exchanged. It would be less than fair not to offer Bob a gratis replacement for that 22 year old veteran though, seems it's been taken pretty good care of and it might be time to retire it on a shelf before it turns to dust. Bob, any preference as to size and color?

sakerjack
03-27-2011, 11:43 AM
I'm embarrassed to say not a "loonie" was exchanged. It would be less than fair not to offer Bob a gratis replacement for that 22 year old veteran though, seems it's been taken pretty good care of and it might be time to retire it on a shelf before it turns to dust. Bob, any preference as to size and color?

Jeez a 22 year guarantee.... I QUIT.. Ray I will take 20 hoods, that should hold me forever. Female sakers, gyrs and med hen redtail. Thank you.

falcon56
03-27-2011, 11:56 AM
Jeez a 22 year guarantee.... I QUIT.. Ray I will take 20 hoods, that should hold me forever. Female sakers, gyrs and med hen redtail. Thank you.

Sounds like you plan on living a long time, what's your secret?

Pedioecetes
03-27-2011, 06:14 PM
Front view

http://i1224.photobucket.com/albums/ee379/Pedioecetes/002-1.jpg

Pedioecetes
03-27-2011, 06:15 PM
Back view

http://i1224.photobucket.com/albums/ee379/Pedioecetes/003.jpg

Pedioecetes
03-27-2011, 06:16 PM
Side view

http://i1224.photobucket.com/albums/ee379/Pedioecetes/001.jpg

California Native
03-27-2011, 07:50 PM
Bob,

Thanks for the chance to see the hood. Interesting the beak shape was used in those years. I thought that shape came along much later. Flat bottom and tapered inward along the bottom. A tall looking hood. Other than that nothing is radically different to my eye.

Dan

D

Pedioecetes
03-27-2011, 09:42 PM
Hi Dan,
The pattern from Bob Martin's gyrkin hood did not have a beak opening on it so I used one from a different pattern. Once the hood was on the falcon I realized it needed to be scooped down more so cut it lower with a "swooped" up curve at the corners, then it fit that guy real nice, so I made other hoods like it. Gerald Geiger and Ray Gilbertson also gave me patterns in that era. I asked Gerald about beak openings and he sent me tracings of all the beak openings he used and they were very similar to the one on this hood. That opening is also molded by several years of being on falcon's heads, so it is not completely like it would be flat on the pattern. I always made hood bottoms flat. I learned a lot from Bob Widmeier's article in the November 1954 issue of "Falconry News and Notes". Looking at the pictures I took I notice that over the years the corners under the braces have curved up. Originally they were flat too.

Sorry Ken, I hope I'm not wrecking your thread.

passagejack
03-27-2011, 10:27 PM
Thanks for the extra pics Bob! I cut my hoods to a custom fit and wanted to compare. Looking at the cut of your hood I could see how a falcon would find it comfortable. IMO it has a few key elements that make for a good hood.

sakerjack
03-28-2011, 06:14 AM
Hi Dan,
The pattern from Bob Martin's gyrkin hood did not have a beak opening on it so I used one from a different pattern. Once the hood was on the falcon I realized it needed to be scooped down more so cut it lower with a "swooped" up curve at the corners, then it fit that guy real nice, so I made other hoods like it. Gerald Geiger and Ray Gilbertson also gave me patterns in that era. I asked Gerald about beak openings and he sent me tracings of all the beak openings he used and they were very similar to the one on this hood. That opening is also molded by several years of being on falcon's heads, so it is not completely like it would be flat on the pattern. I always made hood bottoms flat. I learned a lot from Bob Widmeier's article in the November 1954 issue of "Falconry News and Notes". Looking at the pictures I took I notice that over the years the corners under the braces have curved up. Originally they were flat too.

Sorry Ken, I hope I'm not wrecking your thread.

Not wrecking at all ,fascinating!!

California Native
03-30-2011, 09:14 PM
Hello Bob,

Sorry for the delay in this reply. I have not visited this thread in awhile and just now see you explanation of the beak shape. Thank You !

Dan

sakerjack
05-04-2011, 05:41 PM
Here is a photo of my Keiger Dutch on Clayton Smith's white Gyrkin "Mac"

http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll64/sakerjack/DSCF4246.jpg

Dirthawking
05-04-2011, 11:26 PM
I love the look of that hood. That and the Kahn hood style are my favs!

Lowachi
05-05-2011, 06:28 AM
Very nice indeed! Very striking model wearing it too. A nice pairing.

sakerjack
05-05-2011, 01:16 PM
I love the look of that hood. That and the Kahn hood style are my favs!

Thanks Mario,, I really like this hood, still needs some minor tweeks still but love the fit and the look of the hood..

sakerjack
05-05-2011, 01:17 PM
Very nice indeed! Very striking model wearing it too. A nice pairing.

Thanks I think the bird "ADDS" to the look of the hood. One day I hope to fly one.

Lowachi
05-05-2011, 01:34 PM
Thanks I think the bird "ADDS" to the look of the hood. .......

thats what I was trying to say;)

sakerjack
05-05-2011, 02:39 PM
thats what I was trying to say;)

I knew that Bill but the bird looks far batter than my hood,,

sakerjack
07-31-2011, 12:29 PM
Just finished this Keiger (throat slash is optional, Thanks Ray), one for a falconer in France.

http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll64/sakerjack/DSCF4357.jpg

http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll64/sakerjack/DSCF4353.jpg

http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll64/sakerjack/DSCF4359.jpg

California Native
07-31-2011, 01:01 PM
Sure like those colors Ken and am I noticing some extra detail to the sharp cut edges of the leather top knot. Like a burnished edge or rolled over edge to soften the cut of those points. If so, I like that detail.

I also like to look of the side panel shape. Different for sure.

A good look to me !

Dan

sakerjack
08-02-2011, 09:12 AM
Sure like those colors Ken and am I noticing some extra detail to the sharp cut edges of the leather top knot. Like a burnished edge or rolled over edge to soften the cut of those points. If so, I like that detail.

I also like to look of the side panel shape. Different for sure.

A good look to me !

Dan

Wish I could say there is a real secret but am afraid an Optical Illusion, I do cut them at a sharp angle though but that is all. I too like that eye panels, just a different look from a more traditional Dutch yet a Dutch all the way.

Pedioecetes
08-02-2011, 11:14 AM
Hi Ken,
I like that hood a lot. Nice color combo, shape and beak opening! Very well done.

sakerjack
08-02-2011, 02:16 PM
Hi Ken,
I like that hood a lot. Nice color combo, shape and beak opening! Very well done.

Thank you Bob, was in Sask a week ago cannot believe the water compared to here, it is so dry here, we need rain..

sakerjack
08-05-2011, 07:55 AM
Here is the Keiger ( with throat slash) on my friend's new gyrkin.

http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll64/sakerjack/P8041201.jpg

http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll64/sakerjack/P8041192-1.jpg

http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll64/sakerjack/P8041203-1.jpg

Cautney reich
08-05-2011, 06:12 PM
Nice bird...;)

sakerjack
08-25-2011, 09:31 AM
Just finished this 6 Color Keiger for a Tiercel Gyr/Per.

http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll64/sakerjack/DSCF4398.jpg

http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll64/sakerjack/DSCF4397.jpg

http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll64/sakerjack/DSCF4399.jpg

AK Rev
08-25-2011, 11:42 AM
Woah...there is a LOT of detail there. Looks great!

Lowachi
08-25-2011, 12:24 PM
jaww haill Nice!!!!! I really like that style.

Keith Denman
08-25-2011, 01:17 PM
Oh man Ken another beautiful work of art.

sakerjack
08-25-2011, 02:35 PM
Woah...there is a LOT of detail there. Looks great!

Thank you Bryan, that hood took way longer than I thought, there is alot of detail in the hood that doesn't show in the photos I put up. I MUST/ GOING to get a new camera..

AK Rev
08-25-2011, 05:16 PM
Ken, this last example almost looks like a deluxe version of the earlier examples of your Keiger hood. In the words of Emeril, you kicked it up a notch or two! To my layman's eyes, it looks significantly more complex.

sakerjack
08-26-2011, 08:51 AM
Ken, this last example almost looks like a deluxe version of the earlier examples of your Keiger hood. In the words of Emeril, you kicked it up a notch or two! To my layman's eyes, it looks significantly more complex.

Yes very similar added a some more tooling and color.

sakerjack
08-26-2011, 08:51 AM
jaww haill Nice!!!!! I really like that style.

Thanks,, me too..

sakerjack
08-26-2011, 01:40 PM
Oh man Ken another beautiful work of art.

Thanks KD how is the hood making going?

Keith Denman
08-26-2011, 04:52 PM
Hi Ken:

Have you recieved that hood yet? I have to find the time and money to travel either to Dallas or Houston to find me some more leather. I am starting to make some hoop traps right now to start selling for trapping season. I been thinking about the acordian back and thinking how I could fit it onto my frier tuck hood and make it work. I will be working on drawing it out and seeing what it will be like. Of course you know me I do love the open back.

sakerjack
12-04-2011, 09:33 AM
Just finished this Keiger. FINALLY got a new camers and am learning how to use it, but I think it shows the hood far better than before.

http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll64/sakerjack/DSCN0011.jpg

http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll64/sakerjack/DSCN0002.jpg

http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll64/sakerjack/DSCN0017.jpg

Lowachi
12-04-2011, 10:42 AM
SWEET!!!!

COMEAUX
12-04-2011, 11:03 AM
Very SWEET!haill

Keith Denman
12-04-2011, 02:48 PM
That is so sweet Ken. I showed it to my Mom and Dad and they just couldnt believe how awesome it was.

canvibe
12-04-2011, 03:14 PM
Very nice, I like your color choices.

sakerjack
12-08-2011, 06:48 PM
Very nice, I like your color choices.

Thank you CV..

sakerjack
01-17-2013, 04:22 PM
Just finished this Lizard Keiger, I had not made one in awhile. It should look good with the matching Black Ostrich/ Monitor Lizard Hood Saver.
http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll64/sakerjack/001-20.jpg

Tony James
01-17-2013, 04:36 PM
That's some very clever work indeed Ken, and as you say, how striking it will be with a matching hood holster.

Belated Happy New Year my friend,

best wishes,

Tony.

sakerjack
01-17-2013, 04:43 PM
That's some very clever work indeed Ken, and as you say, how striking it will be with a matching hood holster.

Belated Happy New Year my friend,

best wishes,

Tony.

And to you Tony, all the best in 2013. As I mentioned I had not made one in awhile and a friend of mine uses the Keiger Dutch and really likes it so thought I would bring it back, put it on my web site and start selling them again. The Holster will look really nice with it.

sakerjack
01-18-2013, 09:00 AM
Very Nice Ken.
A sharp looking hoodpeacee

atb
Ian

Thank you Ian,

sakerjack
01-03-2014, 02:58 PM
It has been awhile since I have posted photos of hoods.I am now taking orders and have had the web site open for about a month. Here are some Dutch hoods with and without the the throat slash and a custom Dutch for me..

http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll64/sakerjack/002_zps792a17d3.jpg (http://s285.photobucket.com/user/sakerjack/media/002_zps792a17d3.jpg.html)

http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll64/sakerjack/003_zps24f184cf.jpg (http://s285.photobucket.com/user/sakerjack/media/003_zps24f184cf.jpg.html)

christopher.vly
01-03-2014, 05:15 PM
That purple/yellow/orange is absolutely stunning. I love it, man!

Betelgeuse
01-03-2014, 06:13 PM
Wonderful. I love the brown and black hood...and the blue and tan...and the purple/orange. What size is the brown/black? Edit, what size is the Blue/tan too? :D

sakerjack
01-04-2014, 10:28 AM
That purple/yellow/orange is absolutely stunning. I love it, man!

Thank you, the photo does not really show how bright the colors are. I am using some new dye combos and the color are so vibrant. The hood is for my falcon.

sakerjack
01-04-2014, 10:30 AM
Wonderful. I love the brown and black hood...and the blue and tan...and the purple/orange. What size is the brown/black? Edit, what size is the Blue/tan too? :D
Thank you, the bk/brown is a large falcon size and the blue/ tan is for a gyr/barbary male it is going to France.

Betelgeuse
01-04-2014, 01:37 PM
Thank you, the bk/brown is a large falcon size and the blue/ tan is for a gyr/barbary male it is going to France.

Very nice, Ken. Someone in France is going to be very happy.

sakerjack
01-04-2014, 06:44 PM
Very nice, Ken. Someone in France is going to be very happy.

Katy I think he will like the hood, fingers crossed, he has a great little hybrid. Christopher here are some better photos of the hood. I made three of them almost identical, in three different sizes but with almost the same design and the same color scheme.

http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll64/sakerjack/003_zps5b50f863.jpg (http://s285.photobucket.com/user/sakerjack/media/003_zps5b50f863.jpg.html)

http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll64/sakerjack/001_zps6e45c75b.jpg (http://s285.photobucket.com/user/sakerjack/media/001_zps6e45c75b.jpg.html)

christopher.vly
01-04-2014, 11:07 PM
Those colors sure do sparkle in the sun. What was your inspiration?

What brand of dye do you recommend? Im using Tandy's Eco-flo. Its not doing it for me.

sakerjack
01-05-2014, 09:08 AM

What brand of dye do you recommend? Im using Tandy's Eco-flo. Its not doing it for me.

Inspiration? Beer, lol. I will send you a pm to discuss dyes.

sakerjack
01-05-2014, 06:02 PM

PM sent, good luck.

Lowachi
01-08-2014, 06:13 PM
Nice ta see yer up and doing something. I like it

sakerjack
01-08-2014, 06:22 PM
Nice ta see yer up and doing something. I like it

AND you too, how did the class go my friend? I'll tell you what,, I remember lying in the hospital bed with tubes out my chest, two giant, pretty much open incisions and feeling like my world had collapsed when a volunteer came in to talk to me. At the time the last thing I wanted to hear but she went on and said that in a few months you will feel so much better than before your surgery,,Well Rich she was right on the money, I feel better than I did 5 years ago, I have yet to regain my strength and I am still weak after a few hours of work but I have no pain or shortness of breath issues and I cannot wait till summer to ride a bike and enjoy long summer nite walks with my wife and dogs.
AND I am back making hoods, got 7 on the go now and I really am enjoying the time back at the work bench..
More to come..

Tony James
01-08-2014, 06:35 PM
AND you too, how did the class go my friend? I'll tell you what,, I remember lying in the hospital bed with tubes out my chest, two giant, pretty much open incisions and feeling like my world had collapsed when a volunteer came in to talk to me. At the time the last thing I wanted to hear but she went on and said that in a few months you will feel so much better than before your surgery,,Well Rich she was right on the money, I feel better than I did 5 years ago, I have yet to regain my strength and I am still weak after a few hours of work but I have no pain or shortness of breath issues and I cannot wait till summer to ride a bike and enjoy long summer nite walks with my wife and dogs.
AND I am back making hoods, got 7 on the go now and I really am enjoying the time back at the work bench..
More to come..

I'm so pleased to read that Ken.

And I'll look out for that hood in France.

Best wishes,

Tony.

Betelgeuse
01-08-2014, 09:28 PM
More to come..

That's great news. I'll bet they can't wait for those walks too.

I'm so pleased to read that Ken.

And I'll look out for that hood in France.

Best wishes,

Tony.

Tony, you lucky dog, you.

Lowachi
01-08-2014, 10:05 PM
More to come..

clappthumbsuppthumbsuppthumbsupp and the class went fine, teaching basic color this week

christopher.vly
01-08-2014, 11:55 PM
I echo what everyone else has said, thats great news. I got the email. Thank you for the advice my friend.

Cheers!

Betelgeuse
01-09-2014, 12:08 AM
clappthumbsuppthumbsuppthumbsupp and the class went fine, teaching basic color this week

That's great news too!

sakerjack
01-09-2014, 08:51 AM

Great news are you working full time at Tandys as well?

Lowachi
01-09-2014, 08:57 AM
Great news are you working full time at Tandys as well?

yes sir

sakerjack
01-09-2014, 03:16 PM
That's great news. I'll bet they can't wait for those walks too.

Thank you Katy, the dogs will go goofy especially after this brutally cold winter,,

sakerjack
01-09-2014, 06:20 PM
I echo what everyone else has said, thats great news. I got the email. Thank you for the advice my friend.

Cheers!

Great hope it helped.

Tony James
01-09-2014, 06:24 PM

Don't tell anyone Katy, but I'll be there again at the weekend;)

And Ken my friend, your hood saver will be with me!

Best wishes,

Tony.

sakerjack
01-10-2014, 08:00 AM
Don't tell anyone Katy, but I'll be there again at the weekend;)

And Ken my friend, your hood saver will be with me!

Best wishes,

Tony.

Great to hear say Hello for me.

Tony James
01-12-2014, 07:51 PM
Great to hear say Hello for me.

Hi Ken,

I had a lovely surprise when I arrived at the hotel in France to meet with Jean-claude.
Who should be there, but Xavier and Patrick, Claude, Bruno, and the mystery hood man himself, Richard!!!
We had a wonderful couple of days together, spoke often of yourself and Ambroise, and enjoyed it all as we should.
I've seen a couple of the photographs Richard will be sending to you, and I'd like to apologise in advance!!!:eek:

Best wishes,

Tony.

sakerjack
01-13-2014, 09:42 AM
Hi Ken,

I had a lovely surprise when I arrived at the hotel in France to meet with Jean-claude.
Who should be there, but Xavier and Patrick, Claude, Bruno, and the mystery hood man himself, Richard!!!
We had a wonderful couple of days together, spoke often of yourself and Ambroise, and enjoyed it all as we should.
I've seen a couple of the photographs Richard will be sending to you, and I'd like to apologise in advance!!!:eek:

Best wishes,

Tony.

Hello Tony, LOL, I heard you two were going to meet up. Look forward to the photos. Here are two more Keiger hoodes heading off Texas way and here is one of the hoods I made for my falcon.

http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll64/sakerjack/009_zps3a688ba8.jpg (http://s285.photobucket.com/user/sakerjack/media/009_zps3a688ba8.jpg.html)

http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll64/sakerjack/008_zpse81d554a.jpg (http://s285.photobucket.com/user/sakerjack/media/008_zpse81d554a.jpg.html)

http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll64/sakerjack/001_zpsdf8849a2.jpg (http://s285.photobucket.com/user/sakerjack/media/001_zpsdf8849a2.jpg.html)

http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll64/sakerjack/002_zpsb34bfb74.jpg (http://s285.photobucket.com/user/sakerjack/media/002_zpsb34bfb74.jpg.html)

sakerjack
01-13-2014, 03:53 PM
Hey Tony, I received the photos. You always seem to be having a great time. Funny in almost very photo I have seen of you Tony, you either have a bird on the glove OR a drink in the hand.

Tony James
01-13-2014, 05:23 PM
Hey Tony, I received the photos. You always seem to be having a great time. Funny in almost very photo I have seen of you Tony, you either have a bird on the glove OR a drink in the hand.

Oh, we have a good time alright.

The funny thing is, they must be a bad influence on me, as normally I'm a good boy ;)

Best wishes,

Tony.

sakerjack
01-14-2014, 01:40 PM
Keiger Dutch Hood on a Gyr/Per tiercel.

http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll64/sakerjack/Keiger2-7_zpsc8fff99d.jpg (http://s285.photobucket.com/user/sakerjack/media/Keiger2-7_zpsc8fff99d.jpg.html)

Red-tail
01-14-2014, 07:43 PM
Keiger Dutch Hood on a Gyr/Per tiercel.

http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll64/sakerjack/Keiger2-7_zpsc8fff99d.jpg (http://s285.photobucket.com/user/sakerjack/media/Keiger2-7_zpsc8fff99d.jpg.html)
I love your hoods!! I'm still just a pre-apprentice but I hope to learn how to make some decent hoods someday...

sakerjack
01-15-2014, 03:36 PM
Thank you Iva. It just takes practice. Start with Anglo indian hoods and you will be away. Good luck

Red-tail
01-16-2014, 12:31 PM
Thank you Iva. It just takes practice. Start with Anglo indian hoods and you will be away. Good luck
Thank you :)