View Full Version : New from the Ohio Valley

redhorse
03-13-2011, 12:52 PM
Hello everyone, my name is Kalie and I am in the process of obtaining my apprenticeship. I have started my facilities, and am acquiring equipment and all the knowledge I can. I have been an avid bird watcher since the age of four, when my grandfather gave me my first set of binoculars. My only experience with keeping birds would be parrots and love birds, and my barnyard chickens. I love the outdoors, and spend a ton of time in the woods riding my horses. I would love to be able to combine my passion for the outdoors and birds into a working relationship with raptors. I have applied for membership with the Ohio Falconry Association, and am in the process of applying for membership with the PA association since I am so close to the border. If there is anyone in my area, give me a shout, I would love to spend some time with experienced falconers, a perhaps go on a few hunts when the season allows and find a sponsor. Any information or tips would be greatly appriciated. Looking forward to meeting some of you in the future :)

frootdog
03-13-2011, 01:02 PM
(welc) Pleanty of Ohio falconers on here. I'm sure some will speak up before long.

Lowachi
03-13-2011, 01:04 PM
welcome aboard Kalie. before the forum police getcha, go to the used CP and add your signature. It's policy and keeps things on a first name, friendly level. just how old are you? and have you a sponsor yet?

redhorse
03-13-2011, 01:46 PM
Thanks Rich, I think i've got the signature on there now. I am 25 years old, and no I do not have a sponsor yet. I hoping to meet a few people and hopefully find someone to sponsor me :) I would also love to see setups for mews so I can get mine set up correctly. Pictures ars fantastic, and there are some great ideas on here I am thinking of incorporating, but I am and hands on kinda girl and would like to see some setups in person :)

everetkhorton
03-13-2011, 01:48 PM
(welc) Kalie:
There is a lot of information on building mews on this site. There are a lot of factors when building your mews. It would be nice if you had a sponsor lined up to give some insight on building the mews. The hunting seasons are coming to a close in most States. Falconry is all about hunting. So in the off season it is a good time to look for hunting spots. Have fun.

Lowachi
03-13-2011, 02:00 PM
probably as many mews designs as members on here ;), so you'll get plenty of ideas. I'm sure you'll be influenced by your sponsor's opinions, once you find one. In the mean time, like Ev said, there are many good working examples in the apprentice sections as well as in the general forum. Just drop a search & go. It's a long summer,for some, plenty of time to hook up with some locals, game dinners, picnics, etc. Enjoy!

harrishawk_79
03-13-2011, 02:04 PM
welcome to the forum and enjoy your reads here.like said there is alot of ways to skin a cat so pretty much scan through the old posts and you are certain to find some pics of mews.

redhorse
03-13-2011, 03:00 PM
Thanks everyone for the tips! This forum and the apprentice forum have been a wonderful source of knowledge for me. Hopefully I can find a sponsor or some other falconers in my area that wont mind me tagging along and picking their brains :) I loved the thread on here regarding falconry from horseback. Right up my alley once I am seasoned. I know i'll be a while getting the basics down but I can't wait!

Joby
03-13-2011, 04:01 PM
Hey Kalie,
Welcome to our obsession. I got your two e-mails. Unfortunately, my personal laptop that has my personal e-mail account on it broke last Thursday. I just got hooked up on my wife's laptop for the time being. I just responded to your e-mails and sent you some info on falconry in Ohio. If I were you, I'd hold off on building anything as your eventual sponsor will have a lot to say in what you build (some are pickier than others) and I'd hate for you to have to redo or rebuild anything. Plus, we'll soon have some major regs changes in Ohio that'll drastically change what you need, facilities wise. I included my phone number in my e-mail, so feel free to give me a call if you have any questions. Also, we're hoping to hold an apprentice workshop sometime in May/June here in Columbus. It'll cover all of the basics of falconry in Ohio, as well as how to make equipment, building traps, imping feathers, etc.
Regards,
Joe

redhorse
03-13-2011, 04:39 PM
Thank you Joe, I'll take the advise and hold off on building anything until I am able to find a sponsor. The workshop sounds fantastic, just what I was looking for. Would you be able to forward your reply to my email to my yahoo account? For some reason my gmail account is only showing that you replied, but it is blank. The address is kalieclarke123@yahoo.com. thanks again! Its wonderful to speak with real people that are active and passionate about falcony.

AirAssault
03-14-2011, 12:38 AM
(welc) Kalie goo to see you like NAFex
Bill

Raggedmtfalconer
03-14-2011, 08:34 AM
Welcome Kalie as you will find out soon enough this sport is a terrible addiction! Once it grabs ahold of you it just never let's go! Which in time you will find a WONDERFUL thing! Enjoy yourself! (welc)

Zippy13
03-28-2011, 08:00 PM
Kalie! Whats up its Boots! Are you ready to get started?

BuckeyeHawk
04-18-2011, 04:58 PM
(welc)
Welcome to NAFEX, Kalie! I am also a birdwatcher and pre-apprentice from Ohio. I look forward to meeting you. :) Joe is right, it's better to find a sponsor and then build. I'd also recommend reading up on everything related to raptors so that you can have a leg up when it comes time to study for the falconry licensing test.

Joe: could you PM or email me the details of the apprentice workshop? Thanks!

Zippy13
05-13-2011, 02:51 PM
Just a few more days until our picnic... it will be nice seeing you again. It will be a fun time and a good experience for you getting to meet a few other local falconers. It stinks it might rain... we had to change our menu to some non grilled items :0( I'm sure we will still have a great time... see you then!