PDA

View Full Version : Hi from over the pond.

rehabber
11-11-2007, 03:15 PM
I have a few years experience with various birds hunting and flying and many species that are injured or ill.
At present I am hunting a FHH, training a 5/8th Gyr/saker on crows and a Female Ferrug on our brown hare from the soar and a male ferrug on pheasant from the soar. So pretty busy.
George.

wesleyc6
11-11-2007, 06:29 PM
Glad to have you hear. Wow, you will need a vacation from flying all those hawks and falcons!!!! [smilie=banana.gif]

sharptail
11-11-2007, 07:01 PM
Hi George,

How is the Gyr/Saker doing? Good to see you on here!

everetkhorton
11-11-2007, 08:05 PM
Welcome George! You have quit an cross section of bird to fly.
Have fun and post often with pictures if possible.

rehabber
11-12-2007, 12:33 PM
Hi George,

Hi Jeff,
I've been trying to find you to let you know that I put one of your tailmounts on Tessa the female Ferrug and it was perfect. It clipped on great and is fantasically easy to put the tag on and off.
How are your birds?

rehabber
11-12-2007, 12:38 PM
Hi George,

I'm affraid he has not made it as a hunting bird so am trying to pass him on for display work. Now means I've got to get a new crow hawk. May be too late this year so will wait for the new crop next year.
Gutted as I loved the bird.
http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t182/fenlands/100_1315.jpg

sharptail
11-14-2007, 12:29 AM
Hi George,

Hi Jeff,
I've been trying to find you to let you know that I put one of your tailmounts on Tessa the female Ferrug and it was perfect. It clipped on great and is fantasically easy to put the tag on and off.
How are your birds?

George, Better luck next year on a crow hawk!

Glad to read that the tail mounts worked well.

Lox, the passage Gyr is starting to roll with a couple of Ducks and a Sage Grouse. The Tiercel is starting to sky big, now if the warm weather will hold he may catch some ducks from tall pitches. Kate's Peregrine is flying at 33 1/2 oz, just started. The Gyr/Saker is training me! He thinks It is going well.

Do you still have the Spar?

rehabber
11-14-2007, 12:59 PM
Hi George,

Hi Jeff,
How are your birds?

George, Better luck next year on a crow hawk!

Glad to read that the tail mounts worked well.

Lox, the passage Gyr is starting to roll with a couple of Ducks and a Sage Grouse. The Tiercel is starting to sky big, now if the warm weather will hold he may catch some ducks from tall pitches. Kate's Peregrine is flying at 33 1/2 oz, just started. The Gyr/Saker is training me! He thinks It is going well.

Do you still have the Spar?

I released the spar back to the wild in an orchard behind my house about a month ago. It was 15 weeks old and had caught several things. Was tempted to keep it until spring but she was ready. May have made a different decission if I had known the outcome of the Gyr/saker.
The good thing is i have seen her twice since, the last time only last Monday and so i know she has survived and is doing well.
Must keep in touch and let me know how the birds progress.
George.

chamokane
11-14-2007, 01:22 PM
Hi George,

I'm affraid he has not made it as a hunting bird so am trying to pass him on for display work. Now means I've got to get a new crow hawk. May be too late this year so will wait for the new crop next year.

If it's not too nosy of me, I'd be interested to know what it is about the Gyr/Saker that kept him from making it as a crow hawk.

rehabber
11-14-2007, 01:39 PM
Hi George,

If it's not too nosy of me, I'd be interested to know what it is about the Gyr/Saker that kept him from making it as a crow hawk.

No problem , he was presented with dead birds and would take them but anything alive put up under him and he was not interested. And i can say he was given some very easy set ups that my HH could have taken. 20yd slips that as soon as the crow took off he ignored it. I took him as low as 1lb 11ozs and that was tight and as high as 1lbs 14 1/2 ozs and then he was starting to wander. We do not have the luxury of bagged game but he had nearly as good and still was not interested.
I am gutted he has not turned out but he is going to someone who has the time to fly him daily hard to a lure so at least he will not be stuck on a block for the rest of his life.

chamokane
11-14-2007, 11:00 PM
Thanks for the info. I'm sorry he didn't work out. Some male long wings can be a bit choosy, that's for sure.