PDA

View Full Version : Central NY Rookie

Toadstool
04-26-2011, 11:22 PM
Hey guys and gals, this is a fantastic forum you have here, feels like home! I'm currently doing my best to complete all the prerequisites necessary to acquire my apprentice license. I recently completed my test and did well, so that's one down. I'm beginning my search for a sponsor to share some wisdom with me, and doing some thinking about what my plans are as far as my first bird choice (kestrel vs red tail). Had an opportunity to watch a kestrel in action recently and I was impressed with the tenacity of her, taking mice and starlings. I still am most likely to choose the red tail (the most common choice from what I understand), but I'm certainly not positive about that (and many other things too haha). Though I'm sure my future sponsor will be able to point me in the right direction. Well I guess thats enough rambling for a first post :), Once again thanks for having me!

ice
04-27-2011, 06:25 AM
Toadstool
Welcome to our world, Cortland has some great hawking, we have held our meets there for several years.
You have a few falconers in your area you should be able to find a sponsor down there, they are a good bunch of guy's.

Alan Scott

Rachael
04-27-2011, 06:46 AM
Toadstool
Welcome to our world, Cortland has some great hawking, we have held our meets there for several years.
You have a few falconers in your area you should be able to find a sponsor down there, they are a good bunch of guy's.

Alan Scott

amennn

sevristh
04-27-2011, 08:22 AM
Toadstool,

Welcome! One of the few rules here is that posts be signed with your real name (at least first name). You can make this automatic by going into the User CP and setting it there. It's just to keep things more honest and friendly. Thanks!

everetkhorton
04-27-2011, 08:24 AM
(welc) to NAFEX, but we need a name on your post. One of the few rules. You can go to the User CP and have it added auto. Sounds like you are well on your way for a bird in the fall.

rkumetz
04-27-2011, 11:51 AM
Toadstool

Alan Scott

Hmmm. Is that so? My daughter is going off to college in Albany so maybe I will need to make regular visits............

ice
04-27-2011, 12:25 PM
amennn
Rachael
Is that where you moved to?

ice
04-27-2011, 12:27 PM
Hmmm. Is that so? My daughter is going off to college in Albany so maybe I will need to make regular visits............

Hi Ron
I only hawked in the Albany area once many moons ago, not sure how the hawking is there.

rkumetz
04-27-2011, 12:34 PM
Hi Ron
I only hawked in the Albany area once many moons ago, not sure how the hawking is there.

But Cortland is a mere 3 hour drive from Albany. I could spend more time than than locating a single bunny in Vermont. More importantly I could spend more time than that and NOT locate one.

ice
04-27-2011, 02:52 PM
But Cortland is a mere 3 hour drive from Albany. I could spend more time than than locating a single bunny in Vermont. More importantly I could spend more time than that and NOT locate one.

I think you wouldn't have a problem finding any in Cortland plenty of farms.

Toadstool
04-27-2011, 03:51 PM
Thanks for the welcome! And sorry about not reading the rules prior to posting, Hopefully i'm all legal now :) . Its good to hear that there is a good community of falconers in my viscinity. And as far as finding game in my area, I don't see that being a problem, our property is innundated with game (though I know having them around and sucessfully taking them are two different things) but its all farms and forest for miles around. I am certainly blessed in that respect. Once again thanks for having me, I'm going to go out in this beautiful weather and try to fool some trout.

Rachael
04-27-2011, 09:28 PM
Rachael
Is that where you moved to?

No, just moved down the road, literally. You're welcome to come hawking sometime when the season opens again, I won't try to watch because I know you've got shy girls. But we have plenty of land and game. I've been fattening up the rabbits and squirrels. Every morning with my coffee in one hand, I look out my window and see them eating and say, "that's right my pretties, get all nice and fat".crazyy

Toadstool
04-27-2011, 11:21 PM
No, just moved down the road, literally. You're welcome to come hawking sometime when the season opens again, I won't try to watch because I know you've got shy girls. But we have plenty of land and game. I've been fattening up the rabbits and squirrels. Every morning with my coffee in one hand, I look out my window and see them eating and say, "that's right my pretties, get all nice and fat".crazyy

Haha! That is a good idea, I might steal that one myself. Not that the squirrels and cottontails around the house aren't already fairly tame, gluttonous, hawkfood. Soon they may be in for a nasty surprise though rtsqrl

Rachael
04-28-2011, 05:53 AM
Haha! That is a good idea, I might steal that one myself. Not that the squirrels and cottontails around the house aren't already fairly tame, gluttonous, hawkfood. Soon they may be in for a nasty surprise though rtsqrl
amennn

hawkguy1
04-29-2011, 03:46 PM
(welc) to nafex Anthony.

Toadstool
05-02-2011, 09:20 AM
Still impatiently waiting to get my score mailed cpusash

hawkguy1
05-02-2011, 11:05 PM
hope ya got a good score Anthony.

Toadstool
05-02-2011, 11:31 PM
hope ya got a good score Anthony.

Me too Cody! There was 100 questions, and I'm pretty sure I missed no more than 2-3. So barring any extenuating circumstances I should easily get the required 80% I need. I've gotten more help here already than I ever expected, this really is a special group here! I'm glad to be part of it.amennn Have a good night!

Rachael
05-03-2011, 07:12 AM
Me too Cody! There was 100 questions, and I'm pretty sure I missed no more than 2-3. So barring any extenuating circumstances I should easily get the required 80% I need. I've gotten more help here already than I ever expected, this really is a special group here! I'm glad to be part of it.amennn Have a good night!
I'm still waiting too frus)

I wish you luck :) I know you'll do fine.

Yes, this was the first place I came when I started to get interested in falconry and many people will go out of there way to help:D

Toadstool
05-04-2011, 10:58 PM
I'm still waiting too frus)

I wish you luck :) I know you'll do fine.

Yes, this was the first place I came when I started to get interested in falconry and many people will go out of there way to help:D

Haha, Everyday I check the mail I think it's going to be there...... crazyy Thanks for the luck!thumbsupp