http://www.softforge.net/falconry/marlon1.jpg

http://www.softforge.net/falconry/marlon2.jpg

harrishawk_79
05-24-2011, 10:48 PM
pretty cool lookin chick fred congrats keep up the great work

jfseaman
05-24-2011, 10:54 PM
Thanks Harold.

I'm really enjoying this one. First bird I've 'indulged'. I let him sit on my lap or cuddle while I watch TV.

falconer_39
05-24-2011, 11:04 PM
WOW FRED
what big feet do i see a duck catcher in the future
they are so funny the way they act at that age my gyr/prairie look like that when i got him
he was more entertaining then the stuff thay got on tv now
i sure do miss my little buddy

jfseaman
05-24-2011, 11:54 PM
WOW FRED
what big feet do i see a duck catcher in the future
they are so funny the way they act at that age my gyr/prairie look like that when i got him
he was more entertaining then the stuff thay got on tv now
i sure do miss my little buddy
Too little for ducks.

Starlings, maybe doves, work bird then breeder.

Ricky Ortiz
05-25-2011, 01:15 AM
Very nice Fred, cant wait till I'm at that level someday:D

chris3bees
05-25-2011, 01:16 AM
Cute, make the most of them when they are that age, they are such fun!

Congrats to you Fred. ( and the parents!)

hcmcelroy
05-25-2011, 10:25 AM
Marlon Brando

http://www.softforge.net/falconry/marlon1.jpg

http://www.softforge.net/falconry/marlon2.jpg
But Fred wasn't Marlon B a large guy? What falcon is it? What are you doing about the dreaded food association? Feeding in the bare hand? I'm thinking it over for the male gos headed my way in a week or two.
Harry.

FredFogg
05-25-2011, 10:53 AM
Fred, congrats on the new little one! I was going to ask you if you planned on dyeing the top of your head pink too but then I remembered, there isn't any hair there to dye! LOL toungeout :D

jfseaman
05-25-2011, 11:20 AM
But Fred wasn't Marlon B a large guy? What falcon is it? What are you doing about the dreaded food association? Feeding in the bare hand? I'm thinking it over for the male gos headed my way in a week or two.
Harry.
Well he should be 'large' for what he is, Lannerette. 3 weeks and 475grams empty crop. Wife named him. Mom is Gina Lollobrigida, dad is Dexter Fletcher.

Isn't there a 'rule of thumb' for eyases that at 30 days, you get an idea of flying weight?

Not worried about food associations, he's never allowed to go hungry. Sometimes I take him to the food. Sometimes I take the food to him. Sometimes hooded. Sometimes not. Once he 'finds' the food, I leave him to feed himself, now chopped/ground on a carcass.

Won't be doing weight control until at least August when he's 4 months old, even then I'm going to be gentle as anything else is not needed. I have no hurry to get him in the field.

Right now, he seeks me out for safety, warmth, etc.. Likes to cuddle while I watch TV. As a hopeful donor, I am encouraged by this.

This is imprint #7, only one other has annoying vocalization, I needed to get that bird in the field and dropped weight to soon. If you turn your back on him or pick up another bird, he stops.

Actually, another has annoying vocalization but that's an aplomado female. Cohort/basket/creche raised per J. Nelson method but she is the same, pick up someone else or walk away and quiet. Oh, J. Nelson method not good. Hit and miss on vocalization and carrying daemons. True parent raised, no such problems per Al Ross and the few others who have them but just as 'loyal' in the field.

jfseaman
05-25-2011, 11:23 AM
Fred, congrats on the new little one! I was going to ask you if you planned on dyeing the top of your head pink too but then I remembered, there isn't any hair there to dye! LOL toungeout :D
Hay! I resemble that remark.

Color coding for egg to eyas identification. Red, now faded to pink, is hatched egg #3.

hcmcelroy
05-25-2011, 07:31 PM
I'm having problems in sending a reply Fred so I'll try again. I was given a note that my message was too short grrrrr!
As you know the lanner is a social falcon like about 4-5 others along with the aplo.
At 21 days he is in the imprinting stage, right? I had a falcon at 23 days that appeared to imprint.
No idea about the rule of thumb with falcons but I would guess it depends upon the species. I did a rule of thumb on Cooper['s some time ago and also sexed them at 12 days. The Peregrine Fund sexes aplos at 15 days by weight also.
So you will not feed by bare hand? I've done it with aplos but not accipiters, Steve Layman is a brave man.
Tell me about your experiences using Jim Nelson's with the aplo?

Harry.

northwindmerlins
08-05-2013, 01:24 PM
Hi Fred,

Nice lannerette! I am starting an imprint female Lanner right now, she is out each morning for tame hack, she is chasing birds all over, and doesnt know what her feet are for yet. But shes a sweet quiet imprint, I rasied her from ten days. Hope to have her going for the October flight demonstrations.
-Connie