PDA

View Full Version : Tooled Hood

sakerjack
05-30-2011, 12:42 PM
Not sure I have ever posted photos of this hood. It is my Buteo Hawk Hood, with adjustable chin strap, this hood started out to be a simple quick tool job and I just kept going, couldn't stop..

http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll64/sakerjack/KH1.jpg

http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll64/sakerjack/KH2.jpg

Dirthawking
05-30-2011, 01:06 PM
That is frikin awesome!

hawkerev
05-30-2011, 01:13 PM
Jack,

That is a work of art ! How much does it cost?

sakerjack
05-30-2011, 01:32 PM
Jack,

That is a work of art ! How much does it cost?

Thank you Mario,, Hawkerev. That hood I made about 5 years ago. I no longer make that style anymore, but used a simple version of one on my ferrug/redtail for two years it was a nice hood.

oldguy
05-30-2011, 01:40 PM
Beautiful hood Ken. Looks a bit like the Pred8tor Two Color Tooled hood you made for me.
I have a stupid question...No braces ?

Dan

Ricky Ortiz
05-30-2011, 01:45 PM
That is a very nice looking hood

sakerjack
05-30-2011, 01:52 PM
Beautiful hood Ken. Looks a bit like the Pred8tor Two Color Tooled hood you made for me.
I have a stupid question...No braces ?

Dan

Similar indeed Old Guy, it has braces just did not have them in for the photos.

Squirrelhawkin
05-30-2011, 02:22 PM
clapp Ken,That looks awesome! It looks like you tig welded the seams,very cool. What's the bead under the top knot made of? goes perfect with the hood.

sakerjack
05-30-2011, 03:13 PM
That is a very nice looking hood

Thank you Ricky..

sakerjack
05-30-2011, 03:15 PM
clapp Ken,That looks awesome! It looks like you tig welded the seams,very cool. What's the bead under the top knot made of? goes perfect with the hood.

Hello Nick thank you, tight welded you mean? The bead is um,, not sure, I made that hood years ago, don't even know if I still have any of those beads left , I would guess plastic?

JUST FOUND THEM THEY ARE PLASTIC.

Squirrelhawkin
05-30-2011, 04:22 PM
Hello Nick thank you, tight welded you mean? The bead is um,, not sure, I made that hood years ago, don't even know if I still have any of those beads left , I would guess plastic?

JUST FOUND THEM THEY ARE PLASTIC.

Nope.I meant Tungsten Inert Gas Welded,TIG
That tooling reminded me of a tig weld as soon as I saw it.
http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/cc156/goshawkin/tig-welding-steel-welderseries-2.jpg
The bead looked neat,I thought it might be bone or ivory.

sakerjack
05-30-2011, 04:28 PM
Nope.I meant Tungsten Inert Gas Welded,TIG
That tooling reminded me of a tig weld as soon as I saw it.
http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/cc156/goshawkin/tig-welding-steel-welderseries-2.jpg
The bead looked neat,I thought it might be bone or ivory.

Sorry I have never heard of that term, you are right it does look like that weld, a fluke. Nope the bead isn't eloborate at all,, I think Ray Gilberston uses some ivory beads though, they look neat..

oldguy
05-30-2011, 08:54 PM
Needless to say, I love my Pred8tor Two Color Tooled hood. The tooling has an undercut appearance that gives it a deep three dimensional look.

Added benefit to tooling is it is easier to grip. Go to Ken's website and look at this hood. Striking to say the least. Easy on the wallet too.

Wooden bead on my Pred8tor. I'm considering making some tiny cross-hatches or Vs along edges with a wood burner. Tiny work and "guilding the lily", but I might do it.

Dan

sakerjack
05-31-2011, 07:22 AM
Needless to say, I love my Pred8tor Two Color Tooled hood. The tooling has an undercut appearance that gives it a deep three dimensional look.

Added benefit to tooling is it is easier to grip. Go to Ken's website and look at this hood. Striking to say the least. Easy on the wallet too.

Wooden bead on my Pred8tor. I'm considering making some tiny cross-hatches or Vs along edges with a wood burner. Tiny work and "guilding the lily", but I might do it.

Dan

Thanks Dan, here is one similar to the one I made you.

http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll64/sakerjack/DSCF2074.jpg

STait
05-31-2011, 10:31 PM
WOW!!! KEN, you are the tooling KING. It looks like King Arther's armor.

Beauty,

California Native
06-01-2011, 10:28 AM

Dan

Wow Dan ! Ken made your Red-tail one beautiful hood. Must be the best looking hood on any Red-tail around.
Dan

oldguy
06-01-2011, 11:26 PM
Wow Dan ! Ken made your Red-tail one beautiful hood. Must be the best looking hood on any Red-tail around.
Dan
Absoldamnlutly !!

I tried to post pictures of hood on forum. I got the avatar okay, but it doesn't like me to post pictures. Ken has the best pictures on his website anyway.

I guess if you squint real hard at my avatar you can see how it looks on my bird.

Someday when I'm flying a big longwing, I'll have Ken make me a hood with Boise State theme.

Blue and orange and Broncos emblem on side panels !

GO BRONCOS !!! :D

sakerjack
06-02-2011, 02:36 PM
WOW!!! KEN, you are the tooling KING. It looks like King Arther's armor.

Beauty,

Thank you Steve, I love tooling hoods but love painting them more so don't do as many as I should, I appreciate your comments.

sakerjack
06-02-2011, 06:11 PM
Absoldamnlutly !!

I tried to post pictures of hood on forum. I got the avatar okay, but it doesn't like me to post pictures. Ken has the best pictures on his website anyway.

I guess if you squint real hard at my avatar you can see how it looks on my bird.

Someday when I'm flying a big longwing, I'll have Ken make me a hood with Boise State theme.

Blue and orange and Broncos emblem on side panels !

GO BRONCOS !!! :D

C"MON,, I would love to make a Broncos hood.. Think of it as Money well spent!!