PDA

View Full Version : Salutations!

iamanexit
06-14-2011, 11:38 PM
My name is Sami. I live in South Florida and I'm studying illustration and anthropology, but I've had a keen interest in ornithology for as long as I can remember. I've wanted to work with raptors since I read My Side of the Mountain as a kid, but I've been having trouble finding any sponsors in my area. Anyhow--greetings and hello! c:

harrishawk_79
06-14-2011, 11:57 PM
hi and welcome

borderhawk
06-15-2011, 01:23 AM
Welcome aboard, Sami! Have you checked into the clubs in Florida? I believe there's two of them.... Clubs are always a good way to get hooked up with local falconers.

iamanexit
06-19-2011, 01:34 PM
Hello! Yup, FFA sent me some names, but I haven't gotten any replies yet (which is fine by me--I just want to figure out how close they are to me). Florida doesn't have a packet or anything sent by mail, and our Fish and Wildlife site is... er, poorly-organized. I've found most of the forms needed (I think) but information is scant and difficult to find, haha. Mostly, I've just been reading a lot on anatomy/health. I'm a sailor and I do a good amount of leather and woodwork already, so I think that once I get some plans I'll be good to make mews and whatnot.

Quick question, though: how do hawks cope with transport? I'll likely be moving to the northwest (Washington state) in March, and I'm not sure whether or not I just ought to wait until then to start--because I can imagine that transport and switching sponsors would be difficult.

Toadstool
06-19-2011, 08:01 PM
Welcome Sami! I'm currently searching for a sponsor also. Got everything else done but that, so I'm in the same boat. Good luck at finding one! Have a good day :)