PDA

View Full Version : Hello From Ontario

Z242Pilot
06-27-2011, 04:36 PM
My name is David and i would like to get into falconry. I am currently attending college in North Bay for Aircraft Maintenance and once i am done school i would like to start an apprenticeship in falconry. I have always had a passion for anything with wings, from planes to birds, they have always interested me. I am a student pilot as well as an apprentice aircraft maintenance engineer and my hope is that in about a year i can add apprentice falconer to my resume ;) .

I have sent out a membership application to the ontario hawking club, but as there was a mail strike i have not heard anything back. I have been lurking on this website for around a month now and have already gotten some very use full information as well as ideas on what to do and what not to do.

I am still in the research phase of my learning as it was only recenty that i learned i could legall keep and hunt a BOP without being a zoo or educational center. I am usually a pretty quiet person so education ignorant tourists is not really my idea of fun.

I really look foreword to learning more about BOP as the next year and a bit unfolds until i can get settled in with an aircraft job, get a dog, and get started with my apprenticeships.

I really like this forum, it has a friendlier atmosphere than some others out there and i look foreward to learning from you all.

oh and I am 23 yrs old and am spending the summer at home in Halton Hills, so if you need a bush wacker for some weekends, i will be around.

Kenn Filkins
06-27-2011, 04:54 PM
David,

How far is North Bay from Sault Ste. Marie? Looks like 440K.

That's a long way. But if you ever get to SSM, Michigan, stop by and visit. Especially in the fall when the Harris hawks are hunting or in the spring when they are raising their young.

Good luck in your falconry adventure and with your schooling.

Regards,

Z242Pilot
06-27-2011, 05:50 PM
i was actually in SSM for 3 years for my pilot training at sault college. it's too bad i didn't find this place, and you before frus) ahh well maybe sometime i can bring a tent and go for a drive :-) it is about 5hrs drive to SSM from NB

as a side note, how to the harris hawks deal with the weather up there?

i must definitly say i am a fan of the northern ontario lifestyle now, the GTA makes me nervous and uncomfortable.

hawking
06-27-2011, 08:22 PM
Hi David,

I think we may have talked on another forum. So how is the search for the falconry cure coming? Never found any locals huh. I am sure Hamilton has to have somebody and certainly Kitchener/Waterloo does. I am a bit further west of Kitchener(hr) you would be welcome to come out.

Z242Pilot
06-27-2011, 09:01 PM
there's a cure? who would order such a thing? i find myself investigating every little speck in the sky hoping to catch a flight. we have a couple harriers at our farm and a few redtails around our area but i rarely see them. If you ever need help wacking bushes sometime, let me know and i will see if i have the time off and i will be more than happy to help. once school starts in august i will only be down south every second weekend or so to feed my snakes.

hawking
06-27-2011, 10:44 PM
there's a cure? who would order such a thing? i find myself investigating every little speck in the sky hoping to catch a flight. we have a couple harriers at our farm and a few redtails around our area but i rarely see them. If you ever need help wacking bushes sometime, let me know and i will see if i have the time off and i will be more than happy to help. once school starts in august i will only be down south every second weekend or so to feed my snakes.

I know the sky searching deal......I started that way, now my wife does it for me......
The only cure for a chronic itch is to scratch itamennn

Not much going on at the moment. We have a few bird displays coming up, no real serious hunting until fall when the seasons open up. A few black birds for the bag now and then but not much else.

You are always welcome, we train and fly daily so there is always something in the air. Most seasons do not open until Sept, but hopefully we can get out at some point during your trip back here.