PDA

View Full Version : Hello from southern New Mexico

PeteJ
11-26-2007, 01:56 PM
Jimmy Tomkins alerted me to this forum, so you can blame him later! [smilie=eusa_naughty.gif]
My name is Pete Jungemann and I live in Las Cruces,NM which is about 30 miles from the border with Mexico. I've been a very active falconer since 1972 and licensed since '73. I've flown about everything but a pure gyr or a golden eagle. I have always had a passion for Goshawks and small longwings, specifically female Merlins. And most all the birds I have had have been imprinted eyasses. I have been a breeder for several years as well, having produced goshawks and small hybrid falcons such as Barbary X Merlins, Barbary X Teitas, Peregrine X Teitas, Peregrine X Merlins, and Yes...I'm responsible for getting the first Harris' X Cooper's made (although I didn't actually do the inseminating or hatching...but most of the raising and walked the guy through the courtship and insemination process with his Coop and found the semen donor just in the nick of time). After a few year hiatus from breeding goshawks, I'm hoping to make some Gos X Shins this next season just to see if they can be a little more consistent than some Cooper's have shown to be. Not slamming Coops here, just want to see if something different can come out of the cross. Also hoping to make the first Teita X Merlins this year...but not holding my breath on that one.
Currently just put up the intermewed Shin I was flying and have a Barbary female (13th season) down to weight but I have no ponds this year due to a bad monsoon flow, so there isn't anything to really fly her at as the doves in the desert need water too and the quail just won't work too good with her. So I'll be focusing on my 13th season Gos that has had a bleak last few seasons as our bunnies and quail were done to nothing. But the bunnies and quail are back this year and I've flown him a couple of times and he's about as rusty as I am! It'll take several weeks to get him back into shape as he's only flown about 3 times a year for the last 3 years. He seems very happy that he's seeing bunnies again finally, and hasn't forgotten much about how we do things together.
That's about it for this lengthy introduction. I look forward to participating in threads where and when I can.
PeteJ

kimmerar
11-26-2007, 02:03 PM
Welcome Pete. Sounds like you have some breeding and imprinting knowledge. Can't wait to read about your experiences with the hybrids. Please post your ideas.

Jimmy
11-26-2007, 03:04 PM
Hi Pete.
Glad you decided to stop by! I hope you can find the time to share some of your exploits and experiences. Several of us here are interested in making non-longwing hybrids. Your experiences would be great to hear about.

This is a very socialable forum, with some great members. We don't always agree on things, but there isn't a lot of the trash that goes on in some other places. Pull up a chair, and set a spell.....

Keep your eye on your email box too. I'm gonna send you something you may find usefull with your breeding paperwork.

wesleyc6
11-26-2007, 03:19 PM
Hey Pete!
Glad to have you here. Hope you will post often. Last time you and I talked I was in GA, but now we are practically neighbors. I am near Lubbock, TX.

I wouldn't let lots of people know that you know Jimmy though [smilie=smileys13.gif]

Lee Slikkers
11-26-2007, 03:59 PM
Welcome Pete,

Great to see you on here. I also will second that I'm looking forward to hearing about all your various breeding success. There are some great folks and falconers on here so I'm sure you'll enjoy the conversations.

Lee

PeteJ
11-26-2007, 04:51 PM
Welcome Pete. Sounds like you have some breeding and imprinting knowledge. Can't wait to read about your experiences with the hybrids. Please post your ideas.
Will do it at some point. Perhaps I'll do a summary of the hybrids that I've made so far, comparing and contrasting them so that in the future...regardless of who is making them, that people will have some idea of what they might need for their quarry list in their area.

PeteJ
11-26-2007, 04:53 PM
Welcome Pete,

Great to see you on here. I also will second that I'm looking forward to hearing about all your various breeding success. There are some great folks and falconers on here so I'm sure you'll enjoy the conversations.

Lee
Thanks Lee. What's new with that hybrid? Still struggling? Making headway?Still have him?

awahl
11-26-2007, 04:56 PM
Hi Pete,
The article that you wrote about your tiercel barbary got me going on longwings. After I read that, I got a tiercel peregrine prairie, and caught a bunch of dove in his first year, and proceeded to catch 20+ species of ducks, quail, pheasant, snipe and more. Thanks for writing that article. Seems I read it every year. Welcome in!

PeteJ
11-26-2007, 04:59 PM
Hey Pete!
Glad to have you here. Hope you will post often. Last time you and I talked I was in GA, but now we are practically neighbors. I am near Lubbock, TX.

I wouldn't let lots of people know that you know Jimmy though [smilie=smileys13.gif]
Whoa!!! That's quite a leap from GA to west Texas! Guess you're gonna try out that "work to live" rather than "live to work" thing eh? Good for you! Although...if you'd have just come a few miles more you might have found that you have better land access than in TX. But, you gotta start somewhere I suppose. [smilie=eusa_clap.gif]
Thanks for the salutations. Try to keep a lid on during that west TX wind!
And as for Jimmy? Well...you think you know somebody right??? [smilie=dontknow.gif] [smilie=icon_thumright.gif]

PeteJ
11-26-2007, 05:01 PM
Hi Pete.
Glad you decided to stop by! I hope you can find the time to share some of your exploits and experiences. Several of us here are interested in making non-longwing hybrids. Your experiences would be great to hear about.

This is a very socialable forum, with some great members. We don't always agree on things, but there isn't a lot of the trash that goes on in some other places. Pull up a chair, and set a spell.....

Keep your eye on your email box too. I'm gonna send you something you may find usefull with your breeding paperwork.
Thanks greatly for that paperwork helper Jimmy. It should help immensely!!

PeteJ
11-26-2007, 05:07 PM
Hi Pete,
The article that you wrote about your tiercel barbary got me going on longwings. After I read that, I got a tiercel peregrine prairie, and caught a bunch of dove in his first year, and proceeded to catch 20+ species of ducks, quail, pheasant, snipe and more. Thanks for writing that article. Seems I read it every year. Welcome in!
Glad you found it stimulating! Man, that seems a lifetime ago. [smilie=eusa_boohoo.gif] I wrote another one later on for Am. Falc., do you see that one? Actually I've got a few here and there scattered throughout the various outlets for such things going all the way back to the early 80's when I got my first Merlin. Wasn't much written about small longwings back then. Everyone was hunting pheasants, ducks and grouse it seemed. Little did they know how much fun hunting small quarries can be! [smilie=banana.gif]
Thanks for the kudos though...much appreciated.

wesleyc6
11-26-2007, 05:54 PM
Hey Pete!

Whoa!!! That's quite a leap from GA to west Texas! Guess you're gonna try out that "work to live" rather than "live to work" thing eh? Good for you! Although...if you'd have just come a few miles more you might have found that you have better land access than in TX. But, you gotta start somewhere I suppose. [smilie=eusa_clap.gif]
Thanks for the salutations. Try to keep a lid on during that west TX wind!
And as for Jimmy? Well...you think you know somebody right??? [smilie=dontknow.gif] [smilie=icon_thumright.gif]

Well..............I should have never gone to Amarillo that first time. [smilie=eusa_sick.gif] I was hooked! I don't think where I live is as good as Amarillo probably, but it is ok and I am only about 2 hours away from Amarillo. I took the Draht puppy out today. No points, but we did get up a few phez and a big covey of quail and of course several singles after that. We got up a couple of jacks and bunnies too and meadow larks and a weird looking big owl that was on the ground. I am just getting out in the field finally after back surgery and waiting for the cotton harvest to happen to help concentrate the game. I am flying a male HH out of my breeding stock and have just carhawked him so far. He is fine for out the window, but too fat for field hawking. I can't seem to stop carhawking him long enough to drop weight [smilie=icon_hang.gif] I also just caught a tiercel prairie. He was trapped at 509g w/hood and 48 hours later he was down to 454g which is where he reluctantly ate, so I guess he will be pretty small. I am a pastor, and my congregation has several large farmers in it, so land doesn't seem to be an issue, I just need to figure out which land is the best to hunt. This is a whole new world for me.

`Chris L.
11-26-2007, 06:10 PM
Pete,
Welcome to NAFEX.. As mentioned I would watch the name dropping around here ( cough, Jimmy, cough) [smilie=icon_pidu.gif]

I cant wait to here about the Gos x Shin. Please keep us posted. I am very interested in doing some of the same hybrids you have spoke about. Can you shed some light on what you thought about the harris x coops cross?

Your experience and knowledge is a welcomed addition to NAFEX. I look forward to reading your posts. As Jimmy said, we are a warm group and like to have a great time. Please don't hesitate to post and if you need any help don't hesitate to ask.

Again Welcome to the forum

Jimmy
11-26-2007, 06:29 PM

I would watch the name dropping around here ( cough, Jimmy, cough) [smilie=icon_pidu.gif]

Geez, thanks guys..... [smilie=icon_toilet.gif]
Before you go thinking less of Pete, he's innocent. I snagged him off another forum and invited him here. I haven't tainted him in any way! [smilie=smileys13.gif]

PeteJ
11-26-2007, 06:34 PM
Well..............I should have never gone to Amarillo that first time. [smilie=eusa_sick.gif] I was hooked! I don't think where I live is as good as Amarillo probably, but it is ok and I am only about 2 hours away from Amarillo. I took the Draht puppy out today. No points, but we did get up a few phez and a big covey of quail and of course several singles after that. We got up a couple of jacks and bunnies too and meadow larks and a weird looking big owl that was on the ground. I am just getting out in the field finally after back surgery and waiting for the cotton harvest to happen to help concentrate the game. I am flying a male HH out of my breeding stock and have just carhawked him so far. He is fine for out the window, but too fat for field hawking. I can't seem to stop carhawking him long enough to drop weight [smilie=icon_hang.gif] I also just caught a tiercel prairie. He was trapped at 509g w/hood and 48 hours later he was down to 454g which is where he reluctantly ate, so I guess he will be pretty small. I am a pastor, and my congregation has several large farmers in it, so land doesn't seem to be an issue, I just need to figure out which land is the best to hunt. This is a whole new world for me.[/quote]

I do remember your avocation (I'll keep my soap handy for my cursing mouth). With the congregational support you should do okay then. And yes...you'll be in a whole new mindset before long. Don't count on too much spring hawking though. You that adage about March winds? Well...carry that into early May and you'll know what you're up against. Not to mention the wind you likely have been having from time to time already. You'll learn to deal with it...we all have to in this neck of the woods. You should have some fun with those two. Both are pretty suited for what you have available there.

PeteJ
11-26-2007, 06:36 PM
"Geez, thanks guys..... [smilie=icon_toilet.gif]
Before you go thinking less of Pete, he's innocent. I snagged him off another forum and invited him here. I haven't tainted him in any way! [smilie=smileys13.gif][/quote]

Awww thanks for the disclaimer Jimmy. Fess up guys and gals...Jimmy is okay right? [smilie=banana.gif]

Jimmy
11-26-2007, 06:41 PM
Nice avatar, Pete.

And don't listen to these guys when they talk about me. They're just jealous that they aren't me [smilie=bs.gif]

PeteJ
11-26-2007, 06:42 PM
Pete,
Welcome to NAFEX.. As mentioned I would watch the name dropping around here ( cough, Jimmy, cough) [smilie=icon_pidu.gif]

I cant wait to here about the Gos x Shin. Please keep us posted. I am very interested in doing some of the same hybrids you have spoke about. Can you shed some light on what you thought about the harris x coops cross?

Your experience and knowledge is a welcomed addition to NAFEX. I look forward to reading your posts. As Jimmy said, we are a warm group and like to have a great time. Please don't hesitate to post and if you need any help don't hesitate to ask.

Again Welcome to the forum

Thanks Chris. Glad to be here.
Harris' X Coop eh? Well, personally I liked them. Particularly for bunny hawking. They were efficient and exciting. A bit more pizazz than a Harris in that regard. Good plumage for that sort of thing as well...very flexible and tough. Like a Harris they tend to start out pretty light wingloaded but get better with time and exercise. Much safer to deal with than a Coop too. They can look really scary at times, but they tended to redirect their aggression someplace else, which is nice of them! If you want to know more about them send me a pm and I'll send you some information.
Gotta go feed all the birds and grab the gos.

wesleyc6
11-26-2007, 06:44 PM
Awww thanks for the disclaimer Jimmy. Fess up guys and gals...Jimmy is okay right? [smilie=banana.gif]

CRICKETS chirping quietly........................................... ................... [smilie=smileys13.gif]

KidK
11-26-2007, 07:12 PM
Welcome to NAFEX Pete!

Like Chris and Jimmy, I too have a great interest in hybrid hawks. You sure sound like someone I want to talk to about this.

I am going to have opportunitys to try and make cooper's/goshawk hybrid in the next couple years.

A goshawk/sharpshin cross may be an awesome bird as well.

Anyway, welcome to NAFEX. This is a great list to be on.

Best Regards,

PeteJ
11-26-2007, 08:13 PM
Nice avatar, Pete.

And don't listen to these guys when they talk about me. They're just jealous that they aren't me [smilie=bs.gif]

Thanks Jimmy. That's the last Barbary X Teita I was able to make before the female Teita got laid out. I had to do major surgery on him at hatching to tie off and remove his unretracted yolk sac...not a fun thing to have to do at 1 a.m., by yourself, working on chick that is smaller than a golf ball. But he made it and ain't he a handsome one?
And of course, jealousy is such an ugly emotion isn't it? [smilie=icon_pray.gif]

PeteJ
11-26-2007, 08:18 PM
Welcome to NAFEX Pete!

Like Chris and Jimmy, I too have a great interest in hybrid hawks. You sure sound like someone I want to talk to about this.

I am going to have opportunitys to try and make cooper's/goshawk hybrid in the next couple years.

A goshawk/sharpshin cross may be an awesome bird as well.

Anyway, welcome to NAFEX. This is a great list to be on.

Best Regards,

It will be interesting to see if you can do it. I've shipped gos semen a few times to people with Coops and they never got a fertile egg. As an aside to that though, they had no experience in doing inseminations nor incubation. So it might not have been the best attempt. It seems to be it should be able to be done. I look forward to seeing someone do it. It fascinates me on a scientific level as well because that's my educational background. I'm always interested to see how some of these relationships work...buteo to accipiter to parabuteo to eagle.

Jimmy
11-26-2007, 08:28 PM
parabuteo to eagle.

Now that would be interesting. Ganghawking all kinds of big stuff....... [smilie=eusa_think.gif]

raptrlvr
11-26-2007, 08:37 PM
Hey Pete,
I'm just north of you outside of Silver City. Just moved here from Southern California. I have a male golden and have a first year female HH coming next week. I'll be passing through your city to pick her up at the El Paso airport. Hope to do some hawking with you someday.

`Chris L.
11-26-2007, 08:48 PM

Jimmy is a great guy... if we didnt give him crap he would think something is wrong [smilie=icon_pidu.gif]

i will PM you for sure for that article. I am excited about that cross for sure

wesleyc6
11-26-2007, 08:51 PM
Jimmy is a guy anyway [smilie=smileys13.gif] I guess I have known Jimmy almost since we got started in falconry. Anybody who can eat the 15 bean soup and still fly hawks all day has gotta be alright!

Jimmy
11-26-2007, 09:29 PM
Anybody who can eat the 15 bean soup and still fly hawks all day has gotta be alright!

So where does that leave me, Wes? I didn't eat the soup....... [smilie=eusa_naughty.gif]

wesleyc6
11-26-2007, 10:04 PM
WELL I WILL JUST HAVE TO REEVALUATE OUR FRIENDSHIP THEN [smilie=eusa_think.gif]

chamokane
11-27-2007, 12:02 AM
Welcome, Pete.

PeteJ
11-27-2007, 12:15 AM
Hey Pete,
I'm just north of you outside of Silver City. Just moved here from Southern California. I have a male golden and have a first year female HH coming next week. I'll be passing through your city to pick her up at the El Paso airport. Hope to do some hawking with you someday.

Hi Jim. Sounds like you got settled in. Seeing much for game over there? It's not too bad down on the flats, and usually some decent game in those rolling hills by the Silver City airport, but it's tough up and down stuff. Give me alittle time to get this old gos tiercel going. It's been so long since he's had a fair shake and this up and down weather isn't helping with weight control. I wish they could get a forecast to be even close on temperatures just once! [smilie=dontknow.gif]

PeteJ
11-27-2007, 12:16 AM
Welcome, Pete.
Thanks Dave. Happy to be here.

Falcon Boy
11-27-2007, 02:32 AM
Hi Pete, i'm also in Silver City. Lots of jacks and quail, fair amount of CT's, lots of ponds without ducks on them. Nice to have you here!

PeteJ
11-27-2007, 05:41 AM
Hi Pete, i'm also in Silver City. Lots of jacks and quail, fair amount of CT's, lots of ponds without ducks on them. Nice to have you here!
Hi Noah. Geez...Silver has become a happening burg all of sudden! Where the hell have I been?LOL Well, at least you have ponds for when the ducks do come (if they come). With the price of gas right now I'm sort of glad to have an excuse that there isn't water in my many ponds. Although, I was sort of hoping to fly this old barbary falcon after she's been away from me for so many years. Quail are in pretty good supply though and we're covered up in Coops...I'm often seeing them two at time. It was worrying me with the shin as she just wasn't figuring out that they meant to kill her, so it was with heavy heart that I put her up again. But now the gos going, Bring it Coops! [smilie=smileys13.gif]

Lee Slikkers
11-27-2007, 12:35 PM
Thanks Lee. What's new with that hybrid? Still struggling? Making headway?Still have him?

Pete,

I was making pretty decent headway with him and then he dropped all but 3 of his train/decks...and 5 major primaries. After looking at the plummage he came to me in I noticed simular fret marks on most of those feathers so I can only assume he did the same think last year.

It was pretty frustrating but after I realized he wasn't going to be flown much this fall or at least until very late winter I transfered him to another local falconer who enjoys messing with micro falcons...we'll see what time does for him.

Saluqi
11-27-2007, 04:52 PM
Hi Pete!

Another NM falconer on here, welcome!

Paul

PeteJ
11-27-2007, 05:38 PM
Hi Pete!

Paul
Hi Paul. Did Tasha do any good up there with you? Or did she get to fly even? I haven't heard from her but barely once she got to NAFA meet and she didn't elaborate. Just curious.

PeteJ
11-27-2007, 05:40 PM

Pete,

I was making pretty decent headway with him and then he dropped all but 3 of his train/decks...and 5 major primaries. After looking at the plummage he came to me in I noticed simular fret marks on most of those feathers so I can only assume he did the same think last year.

It was pretty frustrating but after I realized he wasn't going to be flown much this fall or at least until very late winter I transfered him to another local falconer who enjoys messing with micro falcons...we'll see what time does for him.
Ah...well, you likely saved yourself some further headaches Lee. Glad you were able to find someone that wanted the challenge.

bluejack
11-28-2007, 01:56 AM
Man they'll let anybody in this place. Oh well there goes the neighberhood. [smilie=banana.gif]
It's suposed to be windy tomorrow maybe he'll miss.
Keith

PeteJ
11-28-2007, 05:28 AM
Man they'll let anybody in this place. Oh well there goes the neighberhood. [smilie=banana.gif]
It's suposed to be windy tomorrow maybe he'll miss.
Keith
Yeah yeah yeah...you're just wishing I had been here years earlier!!! [smilie=BangHead.gif]

Saluqi
11-28-2007, 12:27 PM
Hi Pete!

Paul
Hi Paul. Did Tasha do any good up there with you? Or did she get to fly even? I haven't heard from her but barely once she got to NAFA meet and she didn't elaborate. Just curious.

She did make up here, but I was in the middle of dropping the fuel tank on my truck, the pump died, and we never did get out to fly. She hung around for a couple hours and we chatted between my cussing at the truck, I gave her some directions to navigate around Santa Fe and points north and that was it. Shame to, we have some pretty good bunnie spots real close by and good jack fields not too much further...oh well, next time.

Are you flying a longwing this season or just the gos and shin?

Paul

PeteJ
11-28-2007, 01:13 PM
Hi Pete!

Paul

She did make up here, but I was in the middle of dropping the fuel tank on my truck, the pump died, and we never did get out to fly. She hung around for a couple hours and we chatted between my cussing at the truck, I gave her some directions to navigate around Santa Fe and points north and that was it. Shame to, we have some pretty good bunnie spots real close by and good jack fields not too much further...oh well, next time.

Are you flying a longwing this season or just the gos and shin?

Paul
Too bad about that timing. Well, I put the shin up as Coops are all over down here and she was letting them stand right next to her. So rather than have her be a casting, I put her up. I could be flying a female barb, but there are no ponds anywhere even reasonably close and with the price of gas it just isn't worth the effort to tell you the truth. So I'm just working the gos and I may trap this Coop in my backyard as she is getting pretty annoying and seems to be fairly tame yet.