PDA

View Full Version : Hello From Los Angeles (Norwalk)

Guppie1337
08-06-2011, 08:28 PM
Hey guys. My name is Chris. I'm 22 years old and I live in the City of Norwalk here in LA County. I have too many interests to name them all, but to sum it up, anything primitive/aboriginal. I am in the US Air Force and I'm waiting to get my training out of the way so I can get settled and start up falconry with my wife. I'm always willing to hang out and learn stuff. I am starting out small at the moment and I'm TRYING to train pigeons to do more than just come back for food :). I hope to build some long term relationships with many of you here.

-Chris

California Native
08-06-2011, 11:36 PM
Hello Chris and welcome to NAFEX. Plenty of people in Southern California and many around the greater LA area that you can likely connect.
I grew up in Pomona and came to Oregon in 1966. Maybe someone reading this will offer to connect you down there. I'll go look up Norwalk and see where that is. I have forgotten.

Dan

wideopenspacesgirl
08-07-2011, 02:33 AM
Hi Chris and wife:

My name is Lisa Cherry and I had been married to one of the best falconers (but one of the most questionable "was-bands") around. I DID learn a ton of great falconry! I have moved out of So Cal and am currently living in the Eastern Sierras so I can't really help you. If you don't hear from someone down there in the next few weeks, pls let me know and I will "rattle someone's cage". We falconers are generally a "curmudgeonly" bunch (present company excepted) and don't always reach out to new-bies as we should. Every new falconer is one less slip! That being said, pls let me know if you don't hear from someone down there. I'll try to put you in touch with some good folks.

For the record, I fly a ten-year old tiercel gyr X peregrine and a two-year old female Cassini peregrine. I am also working with an imprint gyrkin and am "manning" ("person-ing?!?") a 1st year female RTH for ease of handling as an education bird for the organization that I work for.

Again, welcome to our world and please consider membership in CHC, NAFA and whatever other organizations. To quote Patrick Henry (I think! My "Jeopardy " brain ain't what it used to be!), "We will all hang together, or we will all hang separately".

FINALLY, and MOST importantly, what is your wife's name? My dear girl, it's a wonderful world. I'll hope to meet y'all soon.

Best!
Lisa Cherry

Guppie1337
08-07-2011, 10:14 AM
Thank you for the warm welcomes.

@Dan It's great down here but I think I'd like to live about 15 miles from any major city and have that "country" or open forest feel. It's awesome but you can,t do much because there are too many people who don't like you for some reason. I hope to meet you one day. My wife's grandparents own a huge lot of land there, so I plan to take a few trips there :)

@Lisa Sorry to hear about your "was-band". I have gotten in touch with a few people and just waiting for some replies :) I'd like to fly all those birds you have. It must be fun seeing the different behaviors and personalities of the species rather than the individual.

My wife's name is Brianna-Lynn. She's what you would call vivid minded and a wonderful artist. Give her anything that can draw and a piece of paper and you'll have something beautiful in no time. She's interested in flying an american kestrel and possibly a GHO. I'm sure you'll get to meet her one day.

I just joined the CHC last night but waiting for my login info. I can't wait to receive my books so I can read like crazy. I've also been learning a lot from themodernapprentice.com. Lydia gives some good information.

California Native
08-09-2011, 01:01 AM
Chris,
Pomona and much of Southern California was a great place to live back when we were growing up. Some big cattle ranch lands in operation then. Very different than today. We still have family there and visit each year. Maybe we can connect on our next visit. I did look up Norwalk and now remember where it is located.

Dan

raptrlvr
08-09-2011, 09:43 AM
Chris, I lived in Norwalk and went to John Glenn High School back when it first opened up. I was in So Calif for about 55 years and then retired to New Mexico. Still own a house in Norco, Calif. But like you said there were way to many people in that area for my liking. Did a lot of hawking in the Riverside County area and still have friends that are flying in that area. During the season, you can probably meet up with the Harris Hawk flyers that meet at Starbucks before they fly their birds. I'll see if I can find out which Starbucks they are meeting at and let you know.

AK Rev
08-09-2011, 10:09 AM
Welcome Chris. By joining the CHC, ordering the recommended books, and reading the Modern Apprentice web articles...you are well on your way. After reading the books/articles and meeting a few falconers, you will have a plan. Find a good mentor, observe your bird closely and you are on the way to success.

Guppie1337
08-09-2011, 09:45 PM
@Dan That's great. Let me know whenever you're on your way down here and if you wanna spend some time. I'm always up for a day out :)

@Jim John Glenn huh? Awesome. Kind of a small world it seems :) I didn't go there myself. I went to Bell Gardens High School. It was probably still called Billy Goat Acres in those days. I heard that place used to be dead, now there is like 7 people to a house/apartment there and it's nasty haha. I would love to meet up with anyone I can. It's always fun to get out and learn/experience new things. Which city do they meet up at (starbucks)? There's like one on every corner!

@Bryan I just revieved my order confirmation today for the CHC! I can't wait to get my hands on that material!

I have to admit though, I'm a little upset. I spoke with the DFG Falconry Director and I was informed that the only thing the test consists of is Laws and Regs, nothing regarding the health or handling of the bird like I've been told by so many. I hope all the potential sponsors out there can do the weeding out of those with no care for learning the art of falconry and the well being of the birds.

jfseaman
08-10-2011, 01:26 AM
I have to admit though, I'm a little upset. I spoke with the DFG Falconry Director and I was informed that the only thing the test consists of is Laws and Regs, nothing regarding the health or handling of the bird like I've been told by so many. I hope all the potential sponsors out there can do the weeding out of those with no care for learning the art of falconry and the well being of the birds.
Was that Gina?

There are lots of questions re health on the test.

Guppie1337
08-10-2011, 01:41 AM
Yeah it was Gina. I called her a few times to get some technical stuff out of the way to get me rolling.

sleeper2g
08-16-2011, 12:05 AM
Hi Chris I used to live in Paramount, up the road, welcome.