PDA

View Full Version : New to forum

...and a girl
12-01-2007, 11:52 PM
My sponsor and his sponsor keep talking about this site so I decided to check it out. I am a second year apprentice with my 2nd redtail.

I got into falconry to spend time with my husband. Originally I wanted to just tag along. After my first meet which happened to be an Iowa/Minnesota meet I wanted a bird of my own. I had no idea a rabbit could scream like that and I was hooked. I saw several redtails make successful catches up close and personal. A couple of guys asked me to back off when I was right up on the bird taking pictures. I now know that it is for my own safety!! (Well that and the comfort of the bird and its handler)

My husband, kids and I now live in Oregon. Last season I was of course new to the sport as a bird handler and I was somewhat nervous. It was not quite what I expected it to be. I guess even though I was around birds I had not been responsible for one before. How she behaved and hunted depended a lot on me. Her health, fitness, the time I put into it, the training, and the opportunities I provided for her were all an indication of how I was doing in this sport. It was a tough first year with all the learning.

This season is much more enjoyable. My new bird has a totally different personality and I am enjoying her so much more. I think I have a different view this year also. Its looking to be a great season.

Sabrina
Eugene, OR

Bodarc
12-02-2007, 12:03 AM
Hi Sabrina

Welcome *S*. Glad to hear you're enjoying yourself. Keep us posted on your season, it makes for good reading.

outhawkn
12-02-2007, 01:12 AM
Hi, welcome.
I'm sure your going to be meeting Ev. real soon have fun! [smilie=smileys13.gif]

sevristh
12-02-2007, 02:57 AM
Welcome to the site! [smilie=icon_thumright.gif]

KidK
12-02-2007, 08:36 AM
Hi, welcome.
I'm sure your going to be meeting Ev. real soon have fun! [smilie=smileys13.gif]

Welcome to NAFEX Sabrina!

I added your signature to your message, so that should keep Ev away;o)

There are a few folks here from Eugene. How is the rabbit hawking out that way? Is Eugene where the "thick stuff" is and you have to use a dog to get up the rabbits or is it more open?

I am really amazed how diverse the geography is in the Pacific Northwest, from rainforest to high plains desert. I hope to be able to spend some time out that way one day.

Tell us more about your bird and don't hseitate to post pictures. You can add them a couple different ways:

http://nafex.net/viewtopic.php?t=84

http://nafex.net/viewtopic.php?t=1272

Get your husband on the forum too, we really enjoy the family perspectives on falconry.

If there is anything we can help you with, please don't hesitate to ask!

...and a girl
12-02-2007, 12:25 PM
Where I am at in the Willamette Valley is pretty dense with wild berry bushes as well as other vegetation. We definately benefit from a dog. Although the one we have is a real pain. He is a really cute looking beagle with a sweet face. His cute looks are just natures way to keep him alive. One you get to know him you find out he is a sneaky, sly creature.

Rabbits such as cottontails are not very plentiful this far south but if we head north about 30minutes or so we can find plenty of game. In our immediate area there are Jackrabbits on the Christmas tree farms.

My husband already frequents this site.

Jimmy
12-02-2007, 12:45 PM
You must be Chris's wife? Welcome aboard [smilie=icon_thumright.gif]

chamokane
12-02-2007, 04:13 PM
Welcome, Sabrina. I've enjoyed Chris' posts.

...and a girl
12-02-2007, 09:21 PM
Yep I am Chris's wife. I am glad to hear someone enjoys his posts [smilie=smileys13.gif] All in all a good father, husband and sponsor. I had to talk him into the cliff notes version after my first season. He has a lot of knowledge he wants to share with me. I can only retain a little at a time. We also had to practice communicating across the sex barrier.... (not that sex you know boy girl communication differences) You know men understand and explain things a little differently. He did not always understand my questions. Now we do much better. He offers advice when I ask or he thinks the bird is not being cared for properly otherwise he lets me make my own mistakes same as he got to.

Saluqi
12-03-2007, 12:48 PM
I had no idea a rabbit could scream like that and I was hooked.

Sabrina
Eugene, OR

Now there you go, Sabrina you have just been awarded quote of the month. This entitles you to 4 hours of extra hawking per week for the next four weeks. Enjoy!

Welcome!

Paul

...and a girl
12-03-2007, 01:44 PM
Wow if my math is right thats like 16 hours of hawking time....I assume given the current weather conditions I can use them at my leisure throughout the week. (You know its dark before I get off work and its the hardest weather condition to deal with while hawking)

I am sure Aala will be thrilled to hear of our prize as well. She is a real talker right now and each evening complains about her cold, dead dinner when we have not been out hunting.

This prize does not by chance also include kidsitting services does it? My flushers in training are not up to additional hunting hours at this point in there fitness program. It leads to bad side effects like whining and hunger.