PDA

View Full Version : Classifieds question for mods

AK Rev
09-06-2011, 08:37 AM
I forgot that only mods and the original poster can reply in the Classifieds section. I'm sure there is a reason for that but would it make any sense to open it up for other people to post? I posted that I was looking for a book but also any comments from those who had the book. It's not really a topic for the general section as it's a classified want ad. However, several have PM'd me about their copies and why they enjoy their book. That would be good info for the public forum I think to see.

I'm sure it's a judgment call but I can see where there would be a benefit to having it as an open forum.

FredFogg
09-06-2011, 09:21 AM
I forgot that only mods and the original poster can reply in the Classifieds section. I'm sure there is a reason for that but would it make any sense to open it up for other people to post? I posted that I was looking for a book but also any comments from those who had the book. It's not really a topic for the general section as it's a classified want ad. However, several have PM'd me about their copies and why they enjoy their book. That would be good info for the public forum I think to see.

I'm sure it's a judgment call but I can see where there would be a benefit to having it as an open forum.

Bryan, just post an ad for what you want and then start a thread to discuss the book. Pretty simple! I can't speak for the mods but I would think keeping the classifieds strictly for the ad itself keeps it from getting clogged up with conversation and allows folks to just look at the Classifieds and contact the person, which keeps it simple.

AK Rev
09-06-2011, 10:48 AM
I agree...that makes more sense on the discussion side of things. I have wanted to post questions or "I'll take it" on the classifieds but had to PM instead. I'm on a lot of other forums and this is the first one I've used that was locked out.

Chris L.
09-06-2011, 10:53 AM
Brian,

The main reason classifieds are closed for posting is people cant help themselves with regard to posting in the ad thread. Many like to tell others what is wrong or how to improve what the person is selling. Example is Joe Member posts his version of a lure. The other members decide to tell him it sucks and its not a good design. The thread now has become debate instead of a for sale ad. Its not fair to the person trying to sell something. You may asking yourself how do I know this will happen? Before you were a member the classifieds were open for public posting. They turned into what I explained above. Most of the rules and ways of NAFEX are because of trial and error.

Another reason is every time someone post on the classified thread it moves that thread to the top of the order. That is not fair to the other ads below that one. The popular ad gets more screen time.

Last, as Fred mentioned, you don't have to sift through a bunch of posts to find the information out about what is being sold.

I suggest to do what Fred suggested, anything you want open for discussion post in the regular forum.

I hope this helps

Kindest regards

Chris

AK Rev
09-06-2011, 10:58 AM
I figured that was the case. Thanks for the clarity Chris.