PDA

View Full Version : NYS Falconry Meet

ice
10-24-2011, 06:24 AM
The NYS Falconers will be having our annual meet Nov.4,5,6 in Cobelskill, NY.
Guest speaker this year will be Greg Thomas.
This year there will be apprentice workshops along with the state test being given, also good food, a telemetry contest and a raffle Saturday evening.

Hope to see you there.

PS: always looking for raffle donations if interested please PM me.

skooky20
10-24-2011, 10:57 PM
the count down has begun

skooky20
10-29-2011, 04:40 PM
So the meet is less than a week away, the antisipation is killing me and i have heard through the grape vine that one of our forum members is making the trip to see new york, I hope he brings his goshawk, i will let him chime in if he wishes to let others know who he is :D.

mainefalconer
10-29-2011, 07:22 PM
Chris, If you're talking about me, I'll be there, but I hate to tell you that I think the gos is going to be staying home with friends. I'm planning to attend with 2 bird dogs and my new passage peregrine. I have had an extremely difficult time getting the gos down to weight this season. Apparently, I was feeding him too much all summer. Our duck season opens on the 8th of November and I'll have him back in action for that..... he's close. I just don't dare to do that kind of trip with him when he's overweight, and risk feather damage, etc.. If you're talking about someone else, then I hope they bring their gos too, because I am REALLY needing to get my gos fix! Longwings are cool, but they just don't blow my hair back if you know what I mean....

skooky20
10-29-2011, 10:18 PM
yes Scott it is you, i was hoping, there should be at least one gos at the meet.

mainefalconer
10-30-2011, 06:49 AM
Well, that's good news. I'm hoping to get out and see some good hawking and help folks beat brush. Looking forward to seeing you, and meeting some of the NYSFA members that I don't yet know. Too bad all of this snow couldn't have held off for a few days.... it sure would help with the bunny hawking.

mainefalconer
11-03-2011, 10:29 PM
Getting up at the sparrow's fart to haul my butt over there tomorrow morning. Really looking forward to it. Cobleskill here I come. See you folks there!! :D

skooky20
11-06-2011, 08:09 PM
the meet went very well, it was nice to finally meet scott, Greg thomas' talk about red tails was awesome very entertaining and informative. thank you both for coming.

mainefalconer
11-06-2011, 08:19 PM
Great meet for sure! Chris, You're lucky to have such a great group of falconers around you. The New York crew is a really good bunch of guys and gals. It was fun hawking with you yesterday. And I agree... Director Thomas gave an inspiring talk. See you folks next year, (in Hamilton?) if not sooner.

;)

skooky20
11-06-2011, 09:30 PM
my friends second year female coop.
http://i664.photobucket.com/albums/vv7/skooky20/IMG_0268.jpg

ice
11-07-2011, 07:27 AM
I also had a great time, even though I was birdless I moved game for all the falconers I hawked with.
Scott it was great meeting you and Greg you did a vary nice presentation (really enjoyed it). It also was great to see 2 NAFA directors at our meet, never seen that before.

mainefalconer
11-07-2011, 08:32 AM
Alan,
Great meeting you too! Chris, tell that coops to clean up it's face. It looks like a frat boy at the end of a rowdy kegger! :D

Hunter45
11-07-2011, 09:14 AM
I just returned from NYSFA's Meet in Cobleskill, NY. What a great time with a fine bunch of falconers!

Their courtesy, warmth and friendliness was outstanding, especially my hosts, Hank and Laura Minor, who provided transportation to and from Albany Airport and made sure I was introduced to any people I didn't already know, that I had good hawking opportunities, and that all was ready for my after Banquet talk.

I enjoyed my time in the field hawking squirrels and rabbits with well trained and gung ho Red-Tails and Harris Hawks, the interesting and informative chats in the weathering yard, the great food, the attentive staff of the Cobleskill Best Western Hotel who made made sure I had the equipment and set-up I needed for my talk at the Banquet, the many workshops and talks, and their fine raffle (what enthusiastic support from the members! - LOTS and LOTS of tickets sold). My only regret was missing Heinz Meng when he stopped by for a brief visit Saturday afternoon. I was in my room polishing my Power Point presentation for that evening.

Laura Minor and Patti Deckert provided diligent, faithful service at the Registration Table every day of the Meet. NYSFA President, Bill Deckert, and I had a good in depth talk about all things falconry into the wee hours my final night. Awakening Sunday morning, I was chagrined to learn after I dressed and came down for breakfast that I hadn't set my clock back with the cessation of daylight savings time! Oh, how I could have used that extra hour of sleep - LOL!

While I appreciated the many kind words I received, the real kudos should go to the leadership and enthusiastic membership of this well run, well organized state falconry club. They know not only know how to do their job well, but how have a really good time when they get together.

Hank Minor does an exemplary job editing and publishing their superb newsletter, their regional directors take seriously their jobs of tying their widely dispersed membership together, and their officers demonstrated true leadership ability and attention to the details that ensure success of a falconry club. The discussion of the new falconry regulations with their fish and wildlife representative demonstrated that NYSFA has worked long and hard to cultivate a good relationship with their regulators. And even as they work hard to nail down all this "boilerplate" needed to run a falconry club, they haven't forgotten why they first came together - to fly their hawks and falcons at wild game!

I hope I get the chance to visit with NYSFA again. Thanks for the great time!

Hunter45
11-07-2011, 10:35 AM
Another great perk of my attendance at the NYSFA Meet was getting to meet with Scott McNeff, NAFA's new Northeast Regional Director.

Brimming with energy, friendliness, enthusiasm, and focus Scott was well received by the NYSFA. He will be an able representative of his constituency on the NAFA Board of Directors.

I am looking forward to working with Scott to further the strong relationships NAFA has and continues to build with state falconry clubs.

With barely 15 falconers per million people in the USA, the long view of both local, and national regulatory, environmental, agricultural, etc. matters of concern require the partnership of NAFA and the state clubs be ever stronger and more effective. Scott is a fine addition to our team to accomplish this.

Also, please remember and give thanks to retiring Northeast NAFA Director, Dick Morrison, for his years of able service.

mainefalconer
11-07-2011, 07:00 PM
Thank you for the kind words Greg. I really had a great time with the NYSFA guys and gals. I'm extremely pleased to be representing them and will work hard to do my best for their benefit. I came home yesterday filled with new energy and excitement about falconry in general, and I went out to my favorite field to fly my new peregrine on the kite.... while I was out there, I was filled with a great feeling.... as though I had a whole team of helpful folks there with me, at my side, helping me go through the familiar motions of a training session.

In short, the NYSFA crew filled me with a great feeling of community.

And to the point of missing a visit with Heinz.... I have to rub it in.... (I can't help myself) Since Heinz was the person who inspired me to become a falconer, I have always idolized him and felt that I owed him so much. He's on my very short "hero" list, and I was extremely happy to have lunch with him outside, near the weathering yard while you were polishing up your talk! toungeout We discussed peregrines and fly-fishing, and I was a completely shameless groupie throughout our visit, which ended in him taking me over to the car and giving me a box full of his old books and some old NAFA stuff/correspondence, which will find a special place in my library. :D:D:D

Hunter45
11-07-2011, 07:39 PM
Thank you for the kind words Greg. . . . .

And to the point of missing a visit with Heinz.... I have to rub it in.... (I can't help myself) Since Heinz was the person who inspired me to become a falconer, I have always idolized him and felt that I owed him so much. He's on my very short "hero" list, and I was extremely happy to have lunch with him outside, near the weathering yard while you were polishing up your talk! toungeout We discussed peregrines and fly-fishing, and I was a completely shameless groupie throughout our visit, which ended in him taking me over to the car and giving me a box full of his old books and some old NAFA stuff/correspondence, which will find a special place in my library. :D:D:D

Scott, I loved your comment on your visit with Heinz. It had to be Providence that thee and not me was to have that time with him. You have many years yet before you, and I can tell his visit will help inspire you through them. I will ask the Provider of Providence to give me another time and place to see Heinz - :D See you in Vernal!

ice
10-23-2012, 09:43 AM
This year the NYS Falconers will be holding our annual meet Nov.2,3,4 in Hamilton, NY at the White Eagle conference center.
This year marks our clubs 35th. year anniversary.

See ya all there!

skooky20
10-23-2012, 08:16 PM
Are any out of staters coming the meet

ice
10-27-2012, 12:01 PM
Just a little "Thank You" to Bruce Pressier for his wonderful donation of a Bow-net to the NYS falconry meetclapp

skooky20
10-27-2012, 06:23 PM
Just a little "Thank You" to Bruce Pressier for his wonderful donation of a Bow-net to the NYS falconry meetclapp

thats great, thank you bruce, i am going to try and win it

ice
10-14-2013, 10:11 AM
I thought I would throw this out there in case any one is interested.

This year the NYS Falconers will be hosting a meet once again in Hamilton, NY.
The date is Nov. 1, 2 and 3rd at the White Eagle conference center.

Friday night- we will have our meet and great pizza party.
Sat.- 4:00 We will have special license in to explain to us about our new regs.
Guest speaker sat. night will be Gary Brewer followed by a hugh raffle.
Sunday morning will be a club meeting.

Last year I had some nice raffle items donated by our talented NAFEX members, if you are interested in donating an item this year(and we really appreciate it) you can contact me at redtailal@aol.com
Thanks and I hope to see you all there.