PDA

View Full Version : Arab "Rufter"

sakerjack
10-24-2011, 06:39 PM
For years I have been asked to come up with an inexpensive "Rufter", style hood. Priced, so that it is great as a trapping hood, or as the "First" hood for the hawk or falcon. Well ,, after years of thinking about it,, here it is.. A One Piece Arab style Rufter. I went with the Arab back, as for your first hood it should not cause any pulled nape feathers, it is blocked differently, giving FAR more eye Clearence, it is a Bonded hood , keeping the price down and it is a ONE COLORED HOOD, you pick the Color.
I was able to pick up some "SWEET" hides for this hood,, only problem is that the "Backs" are fussy,, so I switched up the hide and have made the Inside,, the Outside. The new bird when first hooded has a Tendancy to scratch a new hood, not because the hood is a poor fit but that it is a new experience, with the fuzzy side out it will not Mar the hood..
This hood is also great for Breeders who are shipping out hawks and falcons,,
I plan on using the hood Pictured in my Saker full time,, she fell asleep 10 seconds after I hooded her.
I will be offering the Rufter for 45.00 plus shipping.. Eagle sizes coming soon!!

http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll64/sakerjack/DSCF4423.jpg

http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll64/sakerjack/DSCF4426.jpg

http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll64/sakerjack/DSCF4420.jpg

Keith Denman
10-24-2011, 06:56 PM
As usual Ken another fine example of your ingenuity and craftsmanship. Awesome looking and superior fitting. You should call them the fuzzy collection.

sakerjack
10-24-2011, 07:00 PM
As usual Ken another fine example of your ingenuity and craftsmanship. Awesome looking and superior fitting. You should call them the fuzzy collection.

Maybe the "Pube Collection"??

frootdog
10-24-2011, 07:25 PM
Maybe the "Pube Collection"??clapp

Lowachi
10-24-2011, 08:52 PM
very nice.

Dirthawking
10-24-2011, 09:10 PM
Very nice!

canvibe
10-24-2011, 09:28 PM

How about the "Scrotum Hood".

oldguy
10-24-2011, 09:34 PM
Well they look like well made, good fitting hoods made for a specific market.

There is a problem... No way anyone will believe those are Hooke hoods. No eye bending colors, no "half nekid ladies" :D

canadamanada
10-24-2011, 09:59 PM
Ken! I like that!
Sign me up for one for a female saker, flies 800g-ish. She's in a Tait#19 now.
You can Paypal invoice me at leyte.justin (AT) gmail.com
I'll take mine in unfinished brown.
Scrotus Maximus - Balls to the Wall!

Keith Denman
10-24-2011, 11:33 PM

LMAO sounds like a weinner Ken.

Lowachi
10-25-2011, 01:30 AM

There is a problem... No way anyone will believe those are Hooke hoods. No eye bending colors, no "half nekid ladies" :D

Well, there's always inside! "For your eyes only" A James Bond kinda thing!!

Bryant Tarr
10-25-2011, 09:40 AM
Nice! clapp

Joby
10-25-2011, 10:34 AM

Only problem will be that folks will only order the eagle sizes, even for their merlins.

sakerjack
10-25-2011, 05:00 PM

Thanks Rich, Mario, BT,, You can be sure OG that there will be a stitched more Traditional Ken Hooke Version(s) available. Worling on a few right now..
Stay tuned.

sakerjack
10-26-2011, 09:34 AM
Ken! I like that!
Sign me up for one for a female saker, flies 800g-ish. She's in a Tait#19 now.
You can Paypal invoice me at leyte.justin (AT) gmail.com
I'll take mine in unfinished brown.
Scrotus Maximus - Balls to the Wall!

PM sent Justin, thank you

BigJerHoods
10-31-2011, 08:48 PM
Those look great Ken! Really nice work.

sakerjack
11-02-2011, 04:31 PM
Those look great Ken! Really nice work.

Thank you JB,very much appreciate your comments. I am addicted to making these at the moment. Have made a few more, little fancier photos later in the day.
Best,

sakerjack
11-03-2011, 12:19 PM
Here is another slightly fancier Rufter. Two Colored with Tegu Lizard Inlay. I have many Exotic skins that will add a nice touch to the Arab Rufter.

http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll64/sakerjack/DSCF4432.jpg

http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll64/sakerjack/DSCF4431.jpg

http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll64/sakerjack/DSCF4434.jpg

Yeomanfalconer
11-03-2011, 02:31 PM
These days, there are no pubes. What you gonna do about that?

Keith Denman
11-03-2011, 07:12 PM
Oh Ken I love that hood. That color is awesome. That hood is perfect with or without the panel glued on back.

sakerjack
11-05-2011, 05:48 PM
I have sold several of the Rufter hoods and most have commented that hood is slightly 'Larger" than perhaps the one they are using at the moment. My Arab 'Rufter" hood is meant to be larger, perhaps one to one and 1/2 sizes larger than the bird would normally use. The reason is that with a new bird they adjust nicely to a hood that is a tad bigger fit, this is great for hood training your new bird to the hood or a bird that is hood shy.. I am making them about one size to one and 1/2 size larger than I would normally. What I hope is that when people order this Rufter, they will order perhaps 2 or 3 because of the low price, use the larger one first , get the bird use to being hooded, then once adjusted they will then down size to a smaller perhaps better fitting hood,,
Another point is when you order 2 hoods for say a female redtail, whose to say that you don't trap the Monster you have always wanted, this way Bam you have the larger hood, which fits great and you use it as a regular hood. You then keep the smaller one in case you decide to trap a different one that ends up a bit smaller perhaps a few months or a year or two later?

canadamanada
11-06-2011, 04:32 AM
I have sold several of the Rufter hoods and most have commented that hood is slightly 'Larger" than perhaps the one they are using at the moment. My Arab 'Rufter" hood is meant to be larger, perhaps one to one and 1/2 sizes larger than the bird would normally use. The reason is that with a new bird they adjust nicely to a hood that is a tad bigger fit, this is great for hood training your new bird to the hood or a bird that is hood shy.. I am making them about one size to one and 1/2 size larger than I would normally. What I hope is that when people order this Rufter, they will order perhaps 2 or 3 because of the low price, use the larger one first , get the bird use to being hooded, then once adjusted they will then down size to a smaller perhaps better fitting hood,,
Another point is when you order 2 hoods for say a female redtail, whose to say that you don't trap the Monster you have always wanted, this way Bam you have the larger hood, which fits great and you use it as a regular hood. You then keep the smaller one in case you decide to trap a different one that ends up a bit smaller perhaps a few months or a year or two later?

And bigger is better'n smaller!

Razorback
11-08-2011, 01:49 AM
Those look sweet Ken. Wish I had one of those when I was trapping.

mosman
11-08-2011, 11:13 AM
The Black one looks like it has a Band-Aide on it lol

canvibe
11-10-2011, 01:41 AM
The Black one looks like it has a Band-Aide on it lol

2 Funny, considering all the recommended names for theses hoods.

KidK
01-15-2012, 06:07 PM
Ken,

Any progress on this hood for birds in the size of tercil peregrines?

Lowachi
01-15-2012, 07:02 PM
Ken,

the one for my tiercel prairie works great. Never scratched at it. Roused pretty quick and pulled a foot up.
Ken's got pix on Scooter, plus the blue dutch too.

sakerjack
01-15-2012, 07:28 PM
Ken,

Hello KidK well yes and no. I am on my third version,, The fit and shape I am more than pleased with, it is the back of the hood, the accordion back that I am working on. I looked at some of my old Syrian patterns and have changed the back giving me I hope better consistancy..That and I need a really different top knot.
Once I get these worked out I will for sure send you a hood for fitting.

sakerjack
01-15-2012, 07:35 PM
Well, there's always inside! "For your eyes only" A James Bond kinda thing!!

Ya KNOW I may go with that,,, just had an idea!!

KidK
01-15-2012, 09:01 PM
Once I get these worked out I will for sure send you a hood for fitting.

Ken, I will gladly purchase one, even if it is just for testfitting. I would, of course, send you close up photos for your reference.

sakerjack
01-17-2012, 06:42 PM
Worked on the pattern all weekend, along with hood orders. I found an old Syrian pattern that I liked but it just did not work for me, SO, took the back of the SYRIAN, the front of the ARAB Rufter and came up with this Syr-Rab Hybrid. Fits the saker great, in fact she has had it on for three hours and is now asleep. Weathering/hunting today is out of the question.. the temps are frigid -36C today with the windchill.

http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll64/sakerjack/009.jpg
http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll64/sakerjack/008.jpg

http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll64/sakerjack/007.jpg

http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll64/sakerjack/006.jpg

Ricky Ortiz
01-17-2012, 07:04 PM
I really love the look of these hoods I need to scrounge up the money and get a couple!

sakerjack
01-17-2012, 07:20 PM
I really love the look of these hoods I need to scrounge up the money and get a couple!

Thank you Ricky, as DO I. I have the back worked out FINALLY and just want to slightly "Tweek" the beak opening. I am just going to take off a tad on each side but still keep the soft tissue inside as I do with all my hoods.
Once they are for sale I will add them to my web site..
Thanks for looking,

Lowachi
01-17-2012, 09:12 PM
nice looking. particularly the raised center for the bead and the eye clearance. I think you may have found it, buddy.

sakerjack
01-18-2012, 08:44 AM
nice looking. particularly the raised center for the bead and the eye clearance. I think you may have found it, buddy.

Thanks Rich almost there with the hood.

Joan Marie
01-18-2012, 10:33 AM
Pubes. *thumbing through the California Hawking Clubs glossary*

sakerjack
01-18-2012, 04:57 PM
Pubes. *thumbing through the California Hawking Clubs glossary*

I liked some of the names for the hood. Pubes is good but I think Syr-Ab is going to work perhaps better.

oldguy
01-19-2012, 12:02 AM
I've never seen one of your hoods that wasn't too cool.
My only issue, and this is strictly MY OPINION, it might be hard to wipe off blood and other things that seem to find their way onto my hoods.

Just me.

sakerjack
01-19-2012, 07:35 AM
My only issue, and this is strictly MY OPINION, it might be hard to wipe off blood and other things that seem to find their way onto my hoods.

Just me.

Hey I hear you, I will be offering the hood with the smooth side out as well, I just liked the look of it this way. I am working on a Jack Daniels hood for Lowachi with the smooth side out to show the artwork and tooling.

frootdog
01-19-2012, 08:29 AM
I am working on a Jack Daniels hood for Lowachi with the smooth side out to show the artwork and tooling.

Another one? Don't put any Jack in the dye this time and he won't be tempted to eat THIS one in times of desperation.toungeout

sakerjack
01-19-2012, 08:30 AM
Another one? Don't put any Jack in the dye this time and he won't be tempted to eat THIS one in times of desperation.toungeout

That is funny!!

Lowachi
01-19-2012, 09:55 AM

I NEVER!!!! I just sniffed it a lil. ;)

sakerjack
01-19-2012, 10:01 AM
I NEVER!!!! I just sniffed it a lil. ;)

Remember this statement Rich!!

sakerjack
01-19-2012, 04:09 PM

Just me.

This way you when your hood gets all yucky you will just buy another.LOL

oldguy
01-19-2012, 05:36 PM
This way you when your hood gets all yucky you will just buy another.LOL

Interesting marketing ploy. I would have to buy in bulk !

sakerjack
01-19-2012, 06:01 PM

That is the idea my friend! Seriously I think with the fuzzy side you should be able to lightly scratch it off with your finger nails, or softly with a little brush. Unless it is blood I think you will find it is easier to keep clean.

Lowachi
01-19-2012, 09:58 PM
Remember this statement Rich!!

I think I'm in trouble....again;). And I tae I can't send pix of this one to Lynchburg either....:D

sakerjack
01-20-2012, 05:12 PM

I will be offering a great two for price...LOL

sakerjack
01-24-2012, 06:51 PM

Just me.

Dan I just had to comment. I had to put some ointment on my falcon's feet. It was an an oily grease type and it marked two areas on her hood. I let it dry for 24 hours and then with my finger nail I lightly scrathed the stains. They came off in seconds and now you can hardly notice the blemishes. Had the hood been in reverse there would have been two permanent stains. A Big deal? No, but I think this proves that it should be even easier to clean.

sakerjack
01-26-2012, 04:31 PM
Just finished these, Female Rtail, Male harris hawk, and for a white Gyrkin.

http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll64/sakerjack/001-2.jpg

http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll64/sakerjack/002-2.jpg

http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll64/sakerjack/003-2.jpg

AdamS
01-26-2012, 04:46 PM
Those look great Ken! I like the orange and black!

sakerjack
01-26-2012, 04:49 PM
Those look great Ken! I like the orange and black!

Hey I thought you might, the color is really orange the picture doesn't really show it well. On the way..

sakerjack
02-02-2012, 02:20 PM
Here is one with a Two tier Raised center Deck.

http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll64/sakerjack/003-3.jpg

http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll64/sakerjack/002-3.jpg

http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll64/sakerjack/001-3.jpg

Keith Denman
02-02-2012, 05:47 PM
Oh Ken that is nice, I really like the double step on the top. What type of leather did you use for that hood? Very nice I never get tired of looking at your work. Very masterful.

sakerjack
02-03-2012, 07:38 AM
Oh Ken that is nice, I really like the double step on the top. What type of leather did you use for that hood? Very nice I never get tired of looking at your work. Very masterful.

Hey KD,,,thank you,, the hide is nothing special just a slightly softer 3 oz calf than I regularly use. What I like about it is that after blocking the hide gets more rigid than most of the soft Arab style hoods you see. I prefer this hood to have a more of a Dutch hood rigidity to my hood.
That double raised center would really stand out if the skin was reverse, it is a neat look which doesn't really show well in the photo.

Keith Denman
02-03-2012, 10:15 AM
Hey KD,,,thank you,, the hide is nothing special just a slightly softer 3 oz calf than I regularly use. What I like about it is that after blocking the hide gets more rigid than most of the soft Arab style hoods you see. I prefer this hood to have a more of a Dutch hood rigidity to my hood.
That double raised center would really stand out if the skin was reverse, it is a neat look which doesn't really show well in the photo.
How do you keep the back soft enough to allow a full pull to close it up?

sakerjack
02-03-2012, 03:33 PM
How do you keep the back soft enough to allow a full pull to close it up?

Reveal ALL my secrets KD? LOL,no secrets here, you just need to select the correct hide. You don't want a hide that gets rock hard after the wetting and drying procedure . Too soft a hide it will be a flimsy Arab style hood which I do not like,,,, NOTHING wrong with them I just like a sturdier hood,, too thick and the accordion back will not work for you. Just tinker with some leather to get a 'FEEL" of what works for you.. I made about 30 prototypes and it took me that long to get that Feel and to where I really like it.

Keith Denman
02-03-2012, 04:07 PM
Reveal ALL my secrets KD? LOL,no secrets here, you just need to select the correct hide. You don't want a hide that gets rock hard after the wetting and drying procedure . Too soft a hide it will be a flimsy Arab style hood which I do not like,,,, NOTHING wrong with them I just like a sturdier hood,, too thick and the accordion back will not work for you. Just tinker with some leather to get a 'FEEL" of what works for you.. I made about 30 prototypes and it took me that long to get that Feel and to where I really like it.
Thats what I figured, it makes sense why mine does not pull like it should. I am searching for some good leather, I am thinking about trying some 1mm roo leather.

AdamS
02-03-2012, 05:37 PM
clappKen, I received my hoods today, packed very well, quickly, and they are beautiful. Thank you, excellent work!

sakerjack
02-03-2012, 05:58 PM
clappKen, I received my hoods today, packed very well, quickly, and they are beautiful. Thank you, excellent work!

Hey great news,,, now lets get a fit... If you have any Problems with them Adam, let me know...

sakerjack
02-03-2012, 06:01 PM
Thats what I figured, it makes sense why mine does not pull like it should. I am searching for some good leather, I am thinking about trying some 1mm roo leather.

KD I am not a ROO guy so cannot comment,, but am thinking a hood totally made of Roo might not be as sturdy as I like them, but you might? Keep me informed.. I am pulling out those patterns as promised for you,, will try to get them in the mail next week.

Lowachi
02-03-2012, 06:51 PM

may not be my place, but 1mm roo might not hold up for a larger hood. I ran across some calf @ Tandy's that was pretty soft. didn't stiffen rock hard after wetting.( I have a nice store) 2-3oz. strong enough, but not what I needed for my endevors. Using it for the back half of the pattern might serve you well. just a thought.

sakerjack
02-03-2012, 07:07 PM
may not be my place, but 1mm roo might not hold up for a larger hood. I ran across some calf @ Tandy's that was pretty soft. didn't stiffen rock hard after wetting.( I have a nice store) 2-3oz. strong enough, but not what I needed for my endevors. Using it for the back half of the pattern might serve you well. just a thought.

Hey it certainly is your place,, thanks for the comments..You have a TON of leather experience Rich...

Keith Denman
02-03-2012, 07:09 PM
Here are my two Ryand hoods I made side by side. The left is all petite calf around 3oz the white one is petite calf with white roo that is around 1mm or 1.2mm thick. My petite calf does not pull as tight.
https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-yT9xJUu9llw/TyxncuFjHrI/AAAAAAAAA5c/N_LNtKjy4Us/s472/sidebyside.jpg

sakerjack
02-03-2012, 07:17 PM
Here are my two Ryand hoods I made side by side. The left is all petite calf around 3oz the white one is petite calf with white roo that is around 1mm or 1.2mm thick. My petite calf does not pull as tight.
https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-yT9xJUu9llw/TyxncuFjHrI/AAAAAAAAA5c/N_LNtKjy4Us/s472/sidebyside.jpg

KD I think it is just the problem with the Accordion back that maybe giving you hassles.. I have a great way to help you.. I will PM you, or call...The hood shape etc looks good,,This should be easy to fix.The hood on the right the light tan one looks really good and the back is almost perfect,, remember it does not have to be super tight! Don't compare my hood back with yours,, different leather, different technique,,

Lowachi
02-03-2012, 08:48 PM

each hide is different as to the quality of it's tanning & prep. & care before & after. Not having made many arab style, but have rebraced a handful, could some of the problem(s) be in the braces? mght also concider skiving down the back some, might help the accordian folds some.

Keith Denman
02-04-2012, 12:58 AM
each hide is different as to the quality of it's tanning & prep. & care before & after. Not having made many arab style, but have rebraced a handful, could some of the problem(s) be in the braces? mght also concider skiving down the back some, might help the accordian folds some.
I sanded it down some so it would fold better, I am really lousy at skiving and would destroy it if I tried to do that. It just seems to be to thick and I am not good at skiving.

Keith Denman
02-04-2012, 01:04 AM
KD I think it is just the problem with the Accordion back that maybe giving you hassles.. I have a great way to help you.. I will PM you, or call...The hood shape etc looks good,,This should be easy to fix.The hood on the right the light tan one looks really good and the back is almost perfect,, remember it does not have to be super tight! Don't compare my hood back with yours,, different leather, different technique,,
Thanks I appreciate it. I really like the Ryand hood it is cool and fun to make. I

Lowachi
02-04-2012, 01:34 AM
I sanded it down some so it would fold better, I am really lousy at skiving and would destroy it if I tried to do that. It just seems to be to thick and I am not good at skiving.

the thin stuff IS a trick, I must admit. Have messed more than a couple in 40+ years of leatherwork. sanding large pieces, stretched wet & pinned down works pretty well. reccommend random orbital.

Keith Denman
02-04-2012, 09:43 AM
the thin stuff IS a trick, I must admit. Have messed more than a couple in 40+ years of leatherwork. sanding large pieces, stretched wet & pinned down works pretty well. reccommend random orbital.
I have a 1/4 sheet sander I am going to give it a try and see how it works for thinning it out. I would like to try some tooling on this pattern but have not figured out a good design for it yet. I not to creative when it comes to leather work yet.