PDA

View Full Version : New To Forum from NY

redtailfalconer
12-11-2007, 10:08 PM
Hello Everybody,
I am a general class falconer from New York. In 2000, I stareted volunteering at a local raptor center. By 2002, I was in falconry all the way. During my stay at the raptor center, I had the pleasure of working with numerous falconry birds. I trained falcons, accipiters, and broad wings. In 2004, I recieved my general permit, and purchased a gyr/peregrine from a friend of mine. I then trapped a merlin, and got hooked on long wings. I ended up quitting my job to head out to NAFA, and trapped a bunch of birds out there. Since then I got a job as a consultant, so I had alot of time to hunt with my birds which was what I wanted.
I was going to be moving out to Kansas this month, but that fell though. I had already released and transfered my birds. I am in the process of looking for another falcon, and I am going to be purchasing a goshawk in the spring.
I would love to hunt a Kriders or Harlans Red Tail in the future, as well as a peregrine. They nest about a mile from my house, and I have watched them since a kid.

Take care everybody,
Kris

Jimmy
12-11-2007, 10:09 PM
(welc)Welcome to the madhouse, Kris.

redtailfalconer
12-11-2007, 10:19 PM
HA, Thanks Jimmy. peacee

wesleyc6
12-11-2007, 10:37 PM
Glad to have you here Kris. Good luck with the Gos this spring! (welc)

redtailfalconer
12-11-2007, 10:41 PM
Thanks alot Wesley. I can't wait to play with the gos.

Falcon Boy
12-11-2007, 10:43 PM
Why purchase a gos when they are wild in NY and you can pull them?

redtailfalconer
12-11-2007, 10:49 PM
There are not many nests around where I am. I know of a few, but last year all only had 2 chicks in them. I try not to remove an eyas with only 2 chicks. I trap them during the fall migration, but I want to train an eyas. Acutally, a local falconer trapped a white gos a few weeks ago right up the road from me. I will post pictures when he sends them to me. But anyway, Its easier for me to just purchase an eyas then keep looking for nests.

Falcon Boy
12-11-2007, 11:13 PM
There are quite a few nests within a few hours of you if memory serves, just gotta look in the right spots. There are also many falconers up there that know of nests, just gotta get on their good side ;) Don't remember any locations but i remember stumbling upon a few and seeing a few wild birds. Never know how many eyasses will be in your nests this year....spending 1k on a gos when you can get them for free just doesn't make sense in my book, but if ya got the money more power to ya!

Chris L.
12-11-2007, 11:29 PM
I can't wait to play with the gos.

Is that What we are calling it now crazyy
If so you are going to fit right in.. beeer

Welcome to NAFEX. We are a great group and like to have a good time. I hope you enjoy the forums as much as we do. Please let us know if you need anything

redtailfalconer
12-11-2007, 11:54 PM
Falcon Boy: I have been scouting nests out, and found 3 that I never knew of. I was thinking about holding off this year on buying one and going for one of the new nests I found. Usually Gos's nest in the same area around here, at least with my experiance. I know most of the falconers around me. Its going to be an all out gos war in the spring, because I know of 6 that are planning on taking an eyas. I take it you have been in NY.

Chris: Heck yea thats what were calling it. I have been hunting with other falconers goshawks, and it has been great!

Falcon Boy
12-12-2007, 12:03 AM
was in syracuse for a while

redtailfalconer
12-12-2007, 12:11 AM
Falcon Boy: Sent you a PM about nests.