View Full Version : Howdy from Texas...

James Idi
10-28-2011, 04:36 PM
First, I'm pretty much overwhelmed at the wide range of knowledge and experience displayed in this forum. I've been lurking for a spell, and find myself getting lost reading thread, after thread, after thread...

Thank you for that.

Secondly, I'm a retired service member fortunate enough to have the "option" of delegating my time as I see fit, and being able to settle down to one spot for longer than a few years...finally. As a suburban/country boy and hunter at heart, I grew up with an appreciation and respect for critters of all sorts, and raptors, especially, have always held a special place in my heart.

While researching Falconry on the Texas Hawking Association web site, I found they recommend reaching out to Falconers and offering to help flush game during a hunt in order to get a better feel for the sport. So I would like to offer my services as a "bird dog" for any fellow Texans in the central area from an axis of say...Waco to the north, to Austin in the south, and places in the middle. I currently reside in the Killeen / Temple area.

Send me a PM if you want a good two-legged "bird dog". I am familiar with a wide variety of approaches used for hunting, and in the use of audibles or hand and arm signals to facilitate communication. Plus, you won't have to clean up my poop, feed or water me, and I won't chew on your equipment.

:D

Until then, I'll continue to lurk....

Bazzer
10-30-2011, 04:02 PM
James it sounds like you have the time available to make it all work. Researching followed by practical help from a mentor is a great way to start and I only wish we had a formal apprenticeship scheme like this in the UK. It must be better for both hawk and falconer...one day maybe.
It's an exciting journey James and when the time comes, I hope you enjoy it to the full.
Regards, Barry Haughton

Keith Denman
10-30-2011, 04:18 PM
Hi James
Welcome aboard, I live in Austonio the Crockett area in east Texas. Glad to hear your eager and ready to go. Texas is a great place to get into this way of lifestyle. Hope to see you soon with a bird on the fist if you decide this is right for you.

Dirthawking
11-01-2011, 02:46 PM
Hey welcome to NAFEX James. We are up in North Fort Worth area if you ever make it this far north let us know. Always willing to take somebody out.

James Idi
11-02-2011, 06:16 PM
Thanks gents.

Just joined the T.H.A. via on-line application, and hopefully I'll be able to find a link up in the immediate area, barring that, I'd love an opportunity to hit the field up north.

Keith Denman
11-02-2011, 06:20 PM
Hi James:
You will enjoy THA it is a great club and is full of a lot of great people.

James Idi
11-02-2011, 09:18 PM
Hi James:
You will enjoy THA it is a great club and is full of a lot of great people.

Excellent.

I've traveled between Waco, Hearne, and the Copperas Cove area chasing gun matches and noticed a LOT of excellent potential hunting grounds for all manner of Raptors down here in my neck. I'm hoping I can find a local and help em' bust some bunnies/ducks/whatever.

:D

There are HUGE tracts of Ft. Hood that would be excellent to hunt as well, as long as you mind the cattle...