PDA

View Full Version : Lost Barbary Falcon, Hammond Louisiana

Hawkmom
11-13-2011, 11:41 PM
My 13 year old male barbary 'Anubis' had a fly off today around 2:30. He is wearing jesses, anklets, bells, ID with phone and telemetry (leg mount). Freq: 216.058. Last signal was North of River Road behind Hammond High School, towards Vineyard road and Hammond Airport. He has a tendancy to land on rooftops and houses and waits for me. Very tame, flies to red/white tuna tail lure and will hop readilly into a small dog crate. Terrified of dogs. My phone is 386-647-7075.

Just finished up a nightime search for the signal. Local HAM clubs have been notified. Thanks.

AK Rev
11-14-2011, 12:06 AM
Bummer. Hope you find him in good condition!

rri32701
11-14-2011, 10:15 PM
Any news on this yet

NCFalconer
11-14-2011, 11:10 PM
Kitty,

You might want to try a search by air, if the ground search doesn't work. The folks at the Hammond airport have a great reputation. Try calling Sharon or Steve at "Fly by Knight", 985-340-8800

Hawkmom
11-14-2011, 11:53 PM
Thanks for the contact. I will see about getting an arial search. It will be needed to increase chances of him being found. I passed out flyers today at the local cops, firehouse, airport, power company, tree trimmers, etc. feed and farm stores, etc. Anyone who works outside got one.

GONEHAWKN
11-15-2011, 06:53 AM
Kitty Good Luck!! Please keep us posted.....

jfseaman
11-15-2011, 12:26 PM
Good luck Kitty.

Hawkmom
11-15-2011, 09:55 PM
Did plane search today. Found a signal and will do an early morning ground search tomorrow. Some things I quickly learned. I had an experienced friend in the right seat, who wrote down the lat/long from the Garmin that the pilot had on board. Then she left following the roads so we can find the location. If you are not experienced like me, it it very easy to get dis-oriented as to where you are. The pilot followed the main roads back so I knew where to drive tomorrrow. Also, you need good headphones that COMPLETELY COVER THE EARS so you can here the signal. Planes are NOISY!!

Wish me luck in finding him, it's been three days. \

JRedig
11-15-2011, 10:01 PM
You have my thoughts kitty.

bluejack
11-15-2011, 10:15 PM
Hi Kitty,
I've done a few predawn telemetry runs in my day. I would encourage you to leave way earlier then you might think necessary. It always seems to get light earlier then I expect it to.

I think you'll get your bird back tomorrow.

rri32701
11-15-2011, 10:56 PM
I'm with Keith on this.I would pinpoint the location while it was still dark and you know he's not moving.Hope to hear good news.

Hawkmom
11-15-2011, 11:29 PM
Signal has been pinpointed to the area of the Living Waters Campground. It is a Church camp. So, flyers are printed, along with my dashboard notice with my cell on it.

I also recommend that you print up a dashboard notice to when people wonder what the heck you are doing, they then have a good written explanation.

Here is the wording on mine:

Notice: I am searching for a lost falconry trained raptor (bird of prey). The bird is wearing radio telemetry and has been tracked to this general location. I am obligated by falconry ethics and the US Fish and Wildlife Service permit conditions to find and recover a lost/wayward raptor quickly. Contact info:

Name: __________________________ Phone: ______________________

Thank you for your cooperation.

Red-tail71
11-15-2011, 11:35 PM
Signal has been pinpointed to the area of the Living Waters Campground. It is a Church camp. So, flyers are printed, along with my dashboard notice with my cell on it.

I also recommend that you print up a dashboard notice to when people wonder what the heck you are doing, they then have a good written explanation.

Here is the wording on mine:

Notice: I am searching for a lost falconry trained raptor (bird of prey). The bird is wearing radio telemetry and has been tracked to this general location. I am obligated by falconry ethics and the US Fish and Wildlife Service permit conditions to find and recover a lost/wayward raptor quickly. Contact info:

Name: __________________________ Phone: ______________________

Thank you for your cooperation.

Great idea Kitty, and well worded. Good luck to you and your search. Take care!

Hawkmom
11-16-2011, 10:30 PM
Did a plane search yesterday, did a ground search this morning prior to 6:00 until 8:00. Nothing. Then an afternoon search from 3 until dusk. Got a signal on the gravel part Prevost Road, near the Camp Living Waters area. Followed it on foot and by truck to the source. It was a pack of hunting dogs in a pen. Well, that is frustrating, to know that the hunting dogs are issued the SAME frequency as FALCONERS!!!!! There is a large community in Louisiana of hunters who use dogs for deer (just to make them move, not chase), small game and wild pigs. I've contacted a couple of hunters I know in the area to see if they could turn get the houndsmen to turn off their dog transmitter collars and turn on their receivers to find my bird. My thanks to Robert, Jane and Harry who helped me with the searches this evening.

PeteJ
11-16-2011, 11:24 PM
At this point I would focus at least part of your time in the last hour of the day on the location that he was lost in. Be out there swinging a lure during that time of day until past dusk. By now he is probably back in that area all the time and you are just missing connecting with him. It sounds like the telemetry might not be working and you are going to be chasing dog collars for the duration. Telemetry is a useful tool, but the best tool you have available is knowing how the birds will react. I would depend heavily on that. I've chased Barbaries A LOT over the years in some very big country, and have learned that they are very loyal to the spot, even if their timing isn't very good!
Good luck and I hope you are able to connect with him again.

Dakota
11-17-2011, 08:36 AM
At this point I would focus at least part of your time in the last hour of the day on the location that he was lost in. Be out there swinging a lure during that time of day until past dusk. By now he is probably back in that area all the time and you are just missing connecting with him. It sounds like the telemetry might not be working and you are going to be chasing dog collars for the duration. Telemetry is a useful tool, but the best tool you have available is knowing how the birds will react. I would depend heavily on that. I've chased Barbaries A LOT over the years in some very big country, and have learned that they are very loyal to the spot, even if their timing isn't very good!
Good luck and I hope you are able to connect with him again.
Good advice! I had a passage falcon return to the training field after two days of being gone. Also on the out side chance the transmitter is still working, one more night flight might be warranted. I had my current bird lost and he kept moving down wind. I would loose the signal then get it back. A butte blocked the signal. If you could go in the direction the wind was blowing when you lost your bird and be aware of buildings and things that might block the signal and get behind them. I got my bird back because of persistance. I know it takes a heavy tole on your emotions, and wears you out. Good Luck!!

Hawkmom
11-17-2011, 10:29 PM
Well, the signal I thought was a dog WAS my falcon instead. A friend of mine who is a backwoods guy an a lifetime resident borrowed a friends receiver and found my birds, anklets, jesses and bells (with ID tags attached). No body of the bird. The anklets were intact, which means that the bird was killed (likely shot) then the legs cut off and the equipment removed. We went back to the area again today with camera in hand for photos of the recovery site. My friend walked back in the woods, behind the hunting dog pens and (trailer) house. He walked right up to the spot at the base of the tree and they also found his seamless band, with the secondary small ID tag on it. I was told that the locals collect turkey feet and was likely collecting my bird's feet as a trophy. We took photos of the site, orientation photos of the house, barn, etc. The authorities have been contacted and I hope that something will be done to investigate this. What a sad ending to a brilliant bird, one if not the best falcon I ever flew. He had quite a following with our audiences over his 13 year career as an educational bird. It was a very difficult day to to programs for the school kids today.

JRedig
11-17-2011, 10:31 PM
I'm so sorry to hear that kitty, my deepest sympathy.

Zarafia
11-17-2011, 10:40 PM
Aw shit, Kitty. I remember Anubis. He was fantastic.
I am so sorry for your loss.
Seriously, Anubis was the first barbary I ever saw and he made a striking impression on me. I am so, so sorry.
You did your best by him.

PeteJ
11-17-2011, 10:45 PM
Sorry about that outcome. You have my condolences as well Kitty.

dirtwinger
11-17-2011, 10:50 PM
So sorry Kitty.

crbhawking
11-17-2011, 11:12 PM
Sorry to hear about the loss, I had a peregrine get shot last year by some idiot, contacted the authorities and got an I am sorry then they never called back. Good luck though getting the guy in trouble. I was telling some guys yesterday about what happened to my bird and they said "that we should dig a deep hole and throw that guy and the guy that was driving around starting forest fires around Texas in it."

Dirthawking
11-17-2011, 11:20 PM
That really sucks. So sorry to hear it. Please keep us informed of the outcome. Don't give up!

Dakota
11-17-2011, 11:22 PM
That is horrible! I would start right there where you found your bird I bet the culprit is within 50 yards!

rri32701
11-17-2011, 11:27 PM
Sorry for the bad news I've been checking this thread hoping fora happy ending.Have you thought of offering a reward for information.Someone that would do that after they realized he belonged to somebody is sick.

black42
11-17-2011, 11:35 PM
Sorry for your loss.

rri32701
11-18-2011, 01:53 PM
That is horrible! I would start right there where you found your bird I bet the culprit is within 50 yards!
Ditto

birdguy888
11-20-2011, 02:32 AM
I'm trying to help Kitty find who is responsible for killing Anubis.

Please help!!! Anubis, a 13 year old Barbary falcon was ruthlessly killed for his talons at the Renaissance Fair currently being held in Hammond, LA by Master Falconer Kitty Carroll. He flew over some buildings during his flight and was found shot, feet cut off and his equipment had been removed and tossed to the side. Please keep your ears open for any information you may hear about this. There is a $5,000 reward offered for the arrest & conviction of the person(s) involved in this horrible crime. More information and contact info can be found at: http://www.diversityinutah.com/anubis.html

Thanks,
Eddie

GONEHAWKN
11-20-2011, 02:40 AM
i am at a loss for words......

jfseaman
11-20-2011, 08:11 AM
So sorry Kitty.

Such ignorancefrus)

steveo_uk
11-20-2011, 08:56 AM
the human capacity to do things like this just totally amazes me. Really sorry for your loss

Sandie_Morehead
11-20-2011, 08:40 PM
Our most sincerest condolences, Kitty...

I've put up Eddie's post on my falconry blog and will put it out on my Facebook account as well.

Both myself and Spike are sickened at the heartlessness behind the act.

NCFalconer
11-20-2011, 09:56 PM
Thanks Eddie. I posted a slightly edited version of your post on the City_Data forum in the Louisiana section.

Kitty, I'm very sorry for the loss of such a fine bird.

Hawkmom
11-20-2011, 11:31 PM
Here is the timeline of the incident. So far, No body of the bird has been found, only the equipment. Now all I can do is wait for the authorities to start the investigation.

Carmen Simonton, Reese Collins, Marci Lockwood
U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, Migratory Bird Permits
P.O Box 49208
Atlanta, Georgia 30359

November 18, 2011

Dear Marci, Reese and Carmen:

I am writing to report the criminal death of my male Barbary Falcon, “Anubis”1998 hatch, band # RV083418.
He was lost in a fly off incident during a presentation at the Louisiana Renaissance Festival in the mid-afternoon (around 3:30-4:00) on Sunday November 13th, 2011. A telemetry search that evening and the next morning came up empty. On Tuesday, November 15th, an airplane scan was done in the afternoon and evening hours. A signal was picked up in the region of N Prevost Lane, near Loranger, Louisiana, close to Camp Living Waters. The next day (Thursday morning and evening) a signal was picked up and tracked to the end of N Prevost Lane. I initially thought that the signal was emitting from dog tracking collars from the dogs in the area and stopped the search that evening. Early the next morning on Thursday, November 17th, a friend used a borrowed telemetry unit; and tracked the signal to under a pine tree at a northwest angle behind a single-wide trailer at the end of N Prevost Lane. Under a large pine tree, he found the jesses, with the anklet intact, bells ID tag, and the telemetry tacking unit. All of these items were intact and un-cut. He brought me the equipment that morning with the bad news. This was very near where I had tracked the signal the previous day. The very same evening on November 17th, I went with him and another friend to see exactly where the equipment was found. The three of us went to the property and to the base of the pine tree and also found the bird’s seamless band, intact with the secondary ID tag still attached. This means that the bird was killed, probably shot, the legs cut off, the falconry equipment and ID tags removed and discarded. The items were not scattered, but were all found together at the base of the pine tree. We looked for signs of the dead bird, but no feathers or anything was found. Photos were taken of the location of the items, as well as orientation photos of the surrounding area for orientation to the buildings and barn in the area. I have in my possession the bird’s falconry equipment that he wore, plus photos of the area where the equipment was found and orientation photos.
This is an outrageous and heartbreaking event in me and my husband’s life. He was one of our favorite birds, an exceptional falcon, with his gentle personality, tameness, and skills in the air and his personality on his perch.
This is especially distressing since I volunteer my time at Hunter Safety classes for the Florida Fish and Wildlife Commission in my home state of Florida.

I have phoned law enforcement in Louisiana and the USFWS offices as well to start an investigation to find the perpetrator of this crime. I wish to find out who did this horrific act to a beloved and valuable falcon.

Sincerely,

Karen I. Tolson Carroll

Dirthawking
11-26-2011, 01:31 AM
Have gotten any kind of reply Kitty

Hawkmom
11-26-2011, 09:19 AM
The local Sherrifs office and LA Wildlife are working on it. Feds are not involved, because he is an exotic (though still listed on my edu permit because of the barbary still be listed as a peregrine sub-species in 1998).

I will call LA Wildlife Monday to see if they have anything. All I can do is wait. The hardest part of all, not being able to do much except pass out flyers.

If anyone in the area want to pass out flyers. I can email you one. Email me at Hawkmom74@mac.com

Hawkmom
12-25-2012, 09:57 AM
My assistant Gregory did this tribute to Anubis.
https://vimeo.com/55062167

thunderheartiii
12-25-2012, 10:50 AM
Nice tribute... Thanks for sharing.

Lowachi
12-25-2012, 11:13 AM
sorry Kitty, I some how missed this, my heart felt sympathies.

Cuz
12-25-2012, 11:15 AM
Karma is a funny thing. He, she or they will get theirs.
Mark D. Cusick
Watsontown, Pa.