PDA

View Full Version : Hal Webster Turns 92 on 2.20.12 . . . .

Hunter45
02-10-2012, 02:50 AM
. . . . and is STILL going strong as these two pics taken last week "somewhere in MT" show. Hal, one of NAFA's founders and co-author (w/Frank Beebe) of North American Falconry and Hunting Hawks, and David Franks, owner of Western Sporting, were trying out a WS dho gazza trap. Wonder how many of us will still be doing this if we somehow make it to 92! Such a joy to have had him as a good friend for the last 45+ years.

If you want to drop Hal a birthday wish, send it to P.O. Box 38, Ft. Benton, MT 59422.

http://i1005.photobucket.com/albums/af175/dale1908eleanor/DavidFrankHalWebster.jpg

http://i1005.photobucket.com/albums/af175/dale1908eleanor/HalWebster.jpg

Both of these Prairie Falcons were released after trapping.

Dakota
02-10-2012, 09:51 AM
Nice to see him still doing it! I drove to his home in the very early 70's at the foot of the Rockys. He was building chambers in a huge barn. I did not know him just introduced myself. He put down his hammer and showed me all his birds and the chambers he was building. He talked to me about Prairie Falcons, Goshawks and breeding that was still new to most of us. What a great guy!

GONEHAWKN
02-10-2012, 01:36 PM
My only Hal Webster story. My Dad and i were at our first(and only) NAFA meet in '95(Amarillo) We had been driving for 27 hours straight and had only been at the meet hotel long enough to check in. I had left my bird back home, but my Dad was flying his Gos. We go into the elevator to go up to our room, when the door opens up, there's Hal. Like a star struck teeny bopper that just had Justin Beiber jump out in from of them, i looked at Hal and said, "HOLY CRAP YOUR HAL WEBSTER!!" He said, " I am and who are who?" After a quick intro he said good luck with the Gos and to let him know how we do. Well, towards the end of the week he saw my Dad and i and asked how we did. When we informed him of the game we had caught he told me if i ever wanted to take a goshawk of my own to let him know. I probably should have taken him up on that offer.......glad to see that he is still going strong. Happy Birthday Hal!!

Yeomanfalconer
02-10-2012, 01:41 PM
I am just totally impressed and inspired that Hal went to Montana to retire, not Scottsdale.

JD Parker
02-11-2012, 11:26 AM
One year at the California meet, I did a very small favor for a man who was, to me, a complete stranger. In return this man graciously invited me to join him for dinner that evening saying that he was meeting two friends at a local restaurant. I said sure, why not. Well, the man was Frank Bond and the two friends he was meeting for dinner were Hal Webster and Frank Beebe. I just about peed my pants. What a memorable evening I had with them.

A very happy birthday to Hal - an amazing man.

Hawkmom
02-11-2012, 11:59 AM
Glad to see Hall still going strong. I feel that falconry keeps you healthy and strong. It is good for your health. Although with accipiters, maybe not your mental health. ;)

sharptail
02-11-2012, 10:57 PM
Hal Webster is a truely great man. He was one of the founders of the North American Falconers Association and later, when NAFA went awry, he was also one of the founders of the Wild Raptor Take Concervency(currently the American Falconry Concervency). It is an honor to follow in his foot steps as Mountain Director.

I remember meeting him many years ago at Dave J.'s house after the Reno Sky Trials. He was showing previews of art plates from his new book; GAME HAWKING AT ITS VERY BEST!
He had remembered my name from a letter of public comment on the upcoming(new at the time in the 1980s) falconry regulations. I had stated that regulations and quotas should be set only on facts and sceintific data, not by political opinions and pressures. Hal said that he thought my comments were very commendable.

Hal, I am so grateful for your contributions to falconry, may they and falconry continue on! Happy 92nd Hal!