PDA

View Full Version : Hello from Western Wisconsin

Pyro01
02-16-2012, 01:21 AM
Hello everyone,

I joined this forum because I wanted to take the time to learn more about falconry. I've always loved raptors, they are majestic creatures, and when I lived in Kansas as a kid, I'd always spend hours on road trips looking for Red-Tailed hawks on the fence posts or telephone poles. I'm fortunate to live in an area where I'll get to see 2 bald eagles flying around when I'm walking the dog. Where i hunt up in northern Minnesota, I get to watch another couple of bald eagles year after year. They even help us find crippled ducks during hunting season. I've always wanted to get into falconry, but I'm at the point in my life where money's tight, paying off college tuition, and probably won't be able to get into this sport for a few years(or decades). I'm hoping I'll be able to learn a lot here, and maybe make some friends in the area so that maybe I can learn a few things in the field.

Thank you,

Pyro01
03-10-2012, 01:27 AM
So, anyone in the Menomonie/Eau Claire area?

Keith Denman
03-10-2012, 01:30 AM
Hi Chris
Welcome aboard. I understand about money being tight and paying off the student loans. Hopefully you will meet some falconers in your area so you can get out in the field and get some hands on work. Good luck with your desires.

MtnMan
03-11-2012, 02:38 PM
So, anyone in the Menomonie/Eau Claire area?

Hi Chris-

This forum is a good place to learn, but I think it's safe to say that the vast majority of the falconers in Wisconsin don't frequent the boards.

If you're really interested in meeting up with falconers in your area, you'd probably be further ahead to check out the Wisconsin Falconer's website, and look through the contact info they have posted. This is really the tail-end of the season for most folks, but that doesn't mean it's too late to get in touch with people.

Also, I wouldn't let the fact that you're not in a position to get started right away get in the way. We almost always have a summer get-together, as well as a winter meet, and many people show up and hang out with us who aren't falconers (yet :D).