PDA

View Full Version : Classic D*A*B Hood

sakerjack
02-19-2012, 01:37 PM
Just finished these, I have not made this style for about 3 years, had a special order for two. Goshawker bought some of my first D*A*B's in 2008.

http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll64/sakerjack/003-6.jpg

http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll64/sakerjack/002-6.jpg

http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll64/sakerjack/001-5.jpg

GONEHAWKN
02-19-2012, 02:12 PM
looking good Ken!!

Lowachi
02-19-2012, 02:18 PM
very nice, Buddy.

Keith Denman
02-19-2012, 02:34 PM
Georgious hoods there Ken. Love seeing your work. I look at that hood you gave me everyday and get inspiration.

sakerjack
02-19-2012, 05:10 PM
looking good Ken!!

Thanks Bill,, have you tried any Arab back style hoods?

Chris Proctor
02-19-2012, 07:27 PM
Nice Ken. How do you like the Big Jer style raised centers? That is one of the things that hooked me on Jeremy's hoods, it made them stand out a lot and gave his hoods that certain individuality (hard to do these days). The top of these hoods and your new merlin hoods say Big Jer influence all over them, good choice. Jeremy has certainly influenced my work (as well as TONS of other folks work). I also love Gilbertson's raised centers, just enough to do his little trademark magic which anchors the top knot down so it stays stiff forever. It's a fun add on for hoods...

GONEHAWKN
02-19-2012, 07:33 PM
Ken when I saw these I thought, you know I'd like to give one of these a try. And Chris, agree. I don't know who was first to do the raised center, but it was one of the things that I really like about Rays hoods.

Chris Proctor
02-19-2012, 08:06 PM
I don't know who was first to do the raised center, but it was one of the things that I really like about Rays hoods.

Ray's been doing them forever. Tait started them in the late 90's I believe (correct me if I'm wrong Steve), then Roselle, then Big Jer...etc. The thing that stood out on Big Jer's hoods was how big his raised centers were and that he tooled the edges (see pic). It makes for that perfect little aesthetic, easy on the eyes thing. Ray's hoods are awesome. I started anchoring my top knots more securely ever since him and I traded hoods just because his hoods are something to aspire to.. I love how it looks on hoods.

http://i760.photobucket.com/albums/xx242/Chris_Proctor/Bigjer-hoods.jpg

sakerjack
02-19-2012, 08:10 PM
Ken when I saw these I thought, you know I'd like to give one of these a try. And Chris, agree. I don't know who was first to do the raised center, but it was one of the things that I really like about Rays hoods.

GH I believe Clayton Smith was the first to do the raised center, in fact Clay and I discussed that very thing when I visited him last year. He mentioned he thought he was the first. Ray not trying to step on anyone's toes..

JB, I did not know you did this tooling thing around the raised center. I thought I was adding something a tad different with that tooling. Jeremy I apologise and will certainly come up with something a bit different. Ya,, I know a few of you will go, sure Ken ,, but honestly I had no idea he tooled around the raised center,,,,, So many do the raised thingy and I like it but from now on the tooling around the disk.... will never be on my hoods,,I will continue to add and improve my double raised center deck,, Or I think quit it all together.
Again Jeremy Bradshaw,,, I am sorry...

Chris Proctor
02-19-2012, 08:19 PM
JB, I did not know you did this tooling thing around the raised center. I thought I was adding something a tad different with that tooling. Jeremy I apologise and will certainly come up with something a bit different. Ya,, I know a few of you will go, sure Ken ,, but honestly I had no idea he tooled around the raised center,,,,, So many do the raised thingy and I like it but from now on the tooling around the disk.... will never be on my hoods,,
Again Jeremy Bradshaw,,, I am sorry...

Ken, it's too hard not to do something that's already been done. Shoot, I did that Warplane nose art thing and all the while Bill had been drawing it out too! It's bound to happen to us all :-)

All fun and games though. Keep it up man..

GONEHAWKN
02-19-2012, 09:48 PM
its all good man....great minds(or delusional) think a like. I go along with what Chris is saying in that it's hard to do something thats not been done already.

hawknlv
02-26-2012, 09:05 PM
There are very few ideas that are original anymore. Really..who cares? If someone can make it better than good for them. There are a few rules like stealing someones pattern and claiming it as your own. I know Ken has had some of these issues.

I have made multiple hoods based on WWII planes. British, German, American. I have copied the works of many hood makers before me and stood in awe of what they have accomplished.

Raised center decks, laminated lizard, tooled, plumed, painted art, dyed art, double turks, triple turks, leather knot, and on and on., The point is it's fine to refine something..it is the ultimate compliment. It is totally another thing to claim something as your own.

The hood makers listed here have never claimed something as their own just refined it. I love the improvements and it motivates me to better my product.

falcon56
02-26-2012, 09:18 PM
Clay showed me the raised knot base in the mid 80's, as well as using brads in the center of the turks knot to make it stiff. There's a number of things that Clay pioneered that many don't even realize, he really is quite innovative, as well as modest.

GONEHAWKN
02-26-2012, 09:54 PM
Ray you were one of the first guys to motivate me through your hoods to try making them. First impressions were simple, cleanly executed, perfect fit around the gape and those turks knots were as stiff hell.....never could figure out how you did it until i had to have an xray done of one of my birds some years ago. The vet come out to show the xray and says, "do you happen to know what this is?" I looked and chuckled " so thats how he's doing that" I then had to explain myself. LOL....OH, and you did the leather washers/donuts!!! It took me a while, but i figured those out too...lol...Thanks Ray!!

sakerjack
03-01-2012, 10:17 AM
There are very few ideas that are original anymore. Really..who cares? If someone can make it better than good for them. There are a few rules like stealing someones pattern and claiming it as your own. I know Ken has had some of these issues.

I have made multiple hoods based on WWII planes. British, German, American. I have copied the works of many hood makers before me and stood in awe of what they have accomplished.

Raised center decks, laminated lizard, tooled, plumed, painted art, dyed art, double turks, triple turks, leather knot, and on and on., The point is it's fine to refine something..it is the ultimate compliment. It is totally another thing to claim something as your own.

The hood makers listed here have never claimed something as their own just refined it. I love the improvements and it motivates me to better my product.

Hey HawkNLV,, just saw the post Agreed,, I will say though that your Centurion Top is an original and very cool, I am honored to have it in my collection! Hope you are well.

sakerjack
03-01-2012, 10:20 AM
Clay showed me the raised knot base in the mid 80's, as well as using brads in the center of the turks knot to make it stiff. There's a number of things that Clay pioneered that many don't even realize, he really is quite innovative, as well as modest.

Hey Ray,,, just saw your post.Without a doubt, Clayton Smith is the most innovative/ wheels turning at every moment guy I have EVER met. How was the trip? I again thank you for your hood, a great item for my collection.

sakerjack
03-01-2012, 10:24 AM
Ray you were one of the first guys to motivate me through your hoods to try making them. First impressions were simple, cleanly executed, perfect fit around the gape and those turks knots were as stiff hell.....never could figure out how you did it until i had to have an xray done of one of my birds some years ago. The vet come out to show the xray and says, "do you happen to know what this is?" I looked and chuckled " so thats how he's doing that" I then had to explain myself. LOL....OH, and you did the leather washers/donuts!!! It took me a while, but i figured those out too...lol...Thanks Ray!!

Ray makes great Donuts!!!

falcon56
03-01-2012, 11:11 AM
Trip was good, aside from my older setter unexpectedly dying the day after we left, NZ treated us pretty well. We caught some real nice browns, 5-7 lbs, on both dries and dry/droppers, had some interesting(funny)catches, and caught the first rainbow in 3 trips there. Not many in the rivers we fish on the south island, so that was a bonus. Good to be home tho.

hawknlv
03-04-2012, 11:43 PM
Hey Ken,

Let me step back for a minute and say that you have made a ton of hoods that are originals. Some may not know that but you have sent me some "doosies" I still haven't figured out. My OCD prevents me from thinking outside the box but you have never had an issue with that my friend. Love everything you do and if I was a scumbag I would copy all of it. I'm just too lazy as you know...

Muhahahaha!

Saw on IFF that I need to send you my addy? Either way I'll send you a private..