PDA

View Full Version : Poser Falconer

Lilroof
12-07-2006, 03:49 PM
Hello! My name is Jennifer and I am NOT a falconer. I am however the girlfriend of a falconer (which, in a way, makes me a MASTER falconer). I do love falconry. Over the course of my tenure with Chris, I have learned to love this sport as if it were my own (with the exception of death and decapitation of cute small animals). Falconry not only encompases a very noble sport of hunting; leatherworking, small game breeding and animal psychology all play a part in this sport.

I don't like the term "falconers widow" because it implies that you have lost something and I; however, have lost nothing but, infact have gained so much from my experiences.

If you are a new wife or girlfriend to this sport, please take time to learn the sport. Once you get used to being in the woods and pulling vines all day in the freezing rain or if you reach into your refridgerator and have to move the squirrel head out of the way to get the milk, you will learn to love this sport as much as I do. Please know that you are not alone.

accipitress
12-10-2006, 06:27 PM
Hey I liked you post. I'm a wife and a falconer, we both are and we share so much because of it. It's good that you can share what the man in your life enjoys.

Becky

Lilroof
12-10-2006, 09:27 PM
Hey I liked you post. I'm a wife and a falconer, we both are and we share so much because of it. It's good that you can share what the man in your life enjoys.

Becky

Thanks! Not to mention it is so much better for us than sitting at home watching TV. I truely do love spending time with him and his birds.

Im glad you are here...This is definitely a male dominated sport. Its going to be good to get a different perspective on things...maybe one day I'll join in...

I look forward to getting to know everyone better through this board and hopefully, one day, we will meet in the woods and pull on a vine or two together.

Thanks again!

Jen

accipitress
12-10-2006, 11:12 PM
I've only been squirrel hawking once and enjoyed it. Sure I'll pull on a few vines with you.

This is a male dominated sport but there are some really fantastic woman hawkers too.

Becky
Colorado

wesleyc6
12-10-2006, 11:38 PM
Becky,
You and Richard load up and come down. We will put you guys up for a few nights and get together and hawk. We have a nice little group that gets together. 3 female falconers plus Jenn would make you guys feel right at home. Jenn will flush a squirrel too, I have seen her in action. She is a little stronger than Chris, but he doesn't seem to mind :shock:

accipitress
12-11-2006, 12:35 PM
We just got back from Texas and that was a trip, now your home ground is WAY out there. I'd love to see your area Wes but we don't get out very much. We have a home full of animals and getting a sitter is hard. Our pet sitter is now 18 and on her own, she won't be watching our animals next year so I don't know what we're going to do about the NAFA meet. Wish we could come, it's a nice offer and it would be nice to hawk with more ladies. Thank you!!!

Becky
Colorado

`Chris L.
12-11-2006, 02:05 PM
Jenn will flush a squirrel too, I have seen her in action. She is a little stronger than Chris, but he doesn't seem to mind :shock:

Hey i like a woman who can show me up... she can hang in there with the best of em

accipitress
12-11-2006, 03:03 PM
the only time I show Richard up is with the mechanical ferret. I can work a bunny out better then he can and I enjoy that feeling. Other wise he's top dog around here and I learn from him every hunt.

Becky
Colorado

everetkhorton
12-11-2006, 04:23 PM
Becky: Ok you got me on this one. Am I slow or what. What is a Mechanical Ferret?
Ev.

accipitress
12-12-2006, 11:18 PM
:lol: It's a tape measure. We use it to get bunnies out of tight places like pipes and wood piles. We have ferrets but the tape is quicker and easier to use in some circumstances. I have the touch!!

Becky

everetkhorton
12-13-2006, 12:06 AM
Becky: Thank for the information, thats a new one for me.
Ev. Michigan

`Chris L.
12-13-2006, 10:46 AM
:lol: It's a tape measure. We use it to get bunnies out of tight places like pipes and wood piles. We have ferrets but the tape is quicker and easier to use in some circumstances. I have the touch!!

Becky

Becky,

So you use a ferret as well. How do you train them. Do you like them better than dogs?

Chris

goshawks00
12-13-2006, 10:49 AM
Ev, Do you think a Mech. ferret would be legal in Mich? Seems like our laws specifically state that you can not disturb, molest smoke dig and a couple of other things, a hiding place den home or and something else of an animal.
Darn now I got to go find the law and re read it.
Barry

goshawks00
12-13-2006, 11:18 AM
Opps found this.... in our Michigan regs:
May not:
(11) Destroy, disturb, or molest at any time any bear, beaver, muskrat, raccoon, squirrel, mink, badger, or rabbit house, hole, burrow, nest, dam, or den which may be used by such animals

accipitress
12-13-2006, 01:40 PM
Chris,

I like using a dog better then a ferret, you have more control that way. But the ferret can go into places that a dog can't. Like prairie dog holes.

I'm checking into getting a dachshund now. We have several hunting places where there are piles of pallets and you can't put a ferret into them. It would take forever to get it back out. So a small dog would be what's needed.

Barry, it sounds like you can't even bust a bunny from a wood pile the way that's stated? And what about squirrel hawkers. They can't disturb the nest to get one moving either.

Becky
Colorado

wesleyc6
12-13-2006, 01:48 PM
Had a gamewarden tell us to put our slingshots away once, but it was ok to shake a nest. hmmmmmmm at least no one ever has a problem with law and interpretations as falconer. sigh. 8)

everetkhorton
12-13-2006, 08:10 PM
Barry: If you were to follow the letter of the law, you can not do anything but walk in a field etc. You may not disturb there a rabbits, sqrs home, den, hole etc. Once you start beating the brush you maybe disturbing them in some way. When I gun hunted sqr. years ago. You could not shoot into a nest. Now if a bird is doing this it is a different story. Try this one on for size, If I have a dog and my intent is to drive the rabbits from there hidding place be it home,den etc. can I be held responsable for that action because I am to have my animal under control at all times according to the law. Only falconers can pick thing apart like this :lol:
Ev, Michigan