View Full Version : Hopeful squirrel hawker

Redtail UK
03-02-2012, 04:36 PM
Hi,

My name is Allan i live in the UK. I have been involved in falconry around 10 years and have to date flown three Harris Hawks and a Lanner Falcon. Next year however i intend on flying a Redtail for the first time. My intended Quarry with this bird is first and foremost Grey Squirrel followed by Hare. Rabbit and feather may also feature on our quarry list but i wont be going out of my way for them.

There aren't many falconers using Redtails in the UK compared with Gos and Harris. Even less flying them at Squirrel. So i have brought the book "Buteos and Bushytails" to try and further my knowledge. I also thought it right to join a Forum where i may also glean some useful knowledge from, over the coming year to eighteen months.

Best Regards

Allan Armstrong

davids
03-02-2012, 04:45 PM
Hi Allen
Some of the best fun I've had in falconry is flying a redtail on grey squirrells here in the UK.
Welcome to the site.

Dave

Redtail UK
03-02-2012, 04:51 PM
Thanks Dave, where abouts in the Uk are you. If you don't mind me asking?

ATB
Allan

davids
03-02-2012, 04:53 PM
Hi Allen,
I live in South lanarkshire, Scotland.
Where abouts are you from?

Dave

Redtail UK
03-02-2012, 05:02 PM
Waayyyy South! Herfordshire

Allan

FredFogg
03-02-2012, 11:14 PM
Hey Allan, welcome to NAFEX! Lots of squirrel hawkers on here, so you shouldn't have any trouble getting advice. Now will it be all the same advice, I doubt it! LOL :D Buteos and Bushytails is a good read but don't take everything in it as the only way to fly red-tails on squirrels or how to do things. I just finished up my squirrel season and my passage female red-tail caught a squirrel pretty much every single day we hunted. We ended our last month hunting 28 days and she caught a squirrel 27 of those days. She is now on her way to getting fat and hopefully a good molt.

Keith Denman
03-03-2012, 01:16 AM
Hi Allen welcome aboard. I hunted a Texas female Harris hawk on fox squirrels and had a great season. Squirrel hawking is a really fun sport and I have to admit I really enjoyed doing it. I think you will have a tremendous time when you get going. Good Luck

Redtail UK
03-03-2012, 06:30 AM
Hey Allan, welcome to NAFEX! Lots of squirrel hawkers on here, so you shouldn't have any trouble getting advice. Now will it be all the same advice, I doubt it! LOL :D Buteos and Bushytails is a good read but don't take everything in it as the only way to fly red-tails on squirrels or how to do things. I just finished up my squirrel season and my passage female red-tail caught a squirrel pretty much every single day we hunted. We ended our last month hunting 28 days and she caught a squirrel 27 of those days. She is now on her way to getting fat and hopefully a good molt.

Hi Fred and Thanks for the welcome, sounds like you had a great season. Wishing you all the best for the moult.

Redtail UK
03-03-2012, 06:32 AM
Hi Allen welcome aboard. I hunted a Texas female Harris hawk on fox squirrels and had a great season. Squirrel hawking is a really fun sport and I have to admit I really enjoyed doing it. I think you will have a tremendous time when you get going. Good Luck

Thanks alot Keith, glad you had a great season.

ATB

Shoe
03-03-2012, 09:37 AM
Welcome! I have a late season passage red tail and haven't been out hunting quite as much as most, but I have been nabbing squirrels almost every time out! Good fun and looking forward to a few more before the molt

black42
03-03-2012, 09:37 AM
Welcome to nafex. Squirrel hawking is one of the funnest things you can do with a hawk. My 1st rt was primarily a squirrel hawk. Good luck.

J

Redtail UK
03-05-2012, 07:33 AM
Welcome! I have a late season passage red tail and haven't been out hunting quite as much as most, but I have been nabbing squirrels almost every time out! Good fun and looking forward to a few more before the molt

Welcome to nafex. Squirrel hawking is one of the funnest things you can do with a hawk. My 1st rt was primarily a squirrel hawk. Good luck.

J

Thanks both of you, i have never seen a Red on Squirrels as I've said not many UK falconers do it. But i have heard it said it's one of the best parts of the sport. So the only way i can really get to see it is do it myself.rtsqrl