PDA

View Full Version : New from Blythe, CA on the Colorado River

Crusinberry
03-02-2012, 05:20 PM
Greetings. My name is Wayne and I am desperately searching for anyone in my area that is involved in falconry. I made my first hood and other furniture when I was twelve years old, but that turned out to be a bit too soon for my parents. I researched and studied up again when I was 30 years old, but my impending son and work brought an end to that adventure as well. Now that I am older, I have the time to make the commitment and have discussed it in detail with my wife. We have been caring for raptors brought in to our local rehabber for a few years now. In our small community, most of the patients are Kestrals caught in chicken coops or RT's "accidently" trapped by local farmers. I recently bought many of the required books and study guides, and passed the CA/Federal exam on February 21st. I live on 3 acres of property on the outskirts of about 100,000 acres of agricultural land. Blythe is the number one destination for dove hunters nationwide, and as far as bunnies... I probably have 15-10 in my side yard alone. I am also about 5 minutes from the true desert as the river makes its way south to Yuma, and the Black Tail Jacks are a constant headache to the local farmers. I already have an 8'X12' outbuilding that I am going to transform into my mews, but waiting on some input from a sponsor so I don't have to tear it down and start over.
We have 6 Kestrals in our backyard, and one suicidal kamikaze Sharp Shin that we have to remove from the bushes or the coop about once a month. The RT's in town spread out to about 9 square miles each, but along the river road, they are on every 3 telephone pole, so trapping wont be a problem. I am interested in flying a female RT as I believe the Kestral to be too dainty as a first bird (besides the fact that our local releases wouldn't like sharing the attention.
In any case, that's me. If you or anyone you know can help, I would appreciate it.

Wayne Crusinberry

JD Parker
03-02-2012, 05:30 PM
Hi Wayne and welcome.
Always thought the Blythe area might be a pretty good hawking location. Maybe you'll have to get two licenses so you can use both sides of the river. ;)
Don't know anyone in your area - have you contacted the CHC apprentice person? They may be able to help. Probably some potential sponsors a couple of hours to the west of you.
Best of luck.

corona
03-03-2012, 12:44 PM
HI Wayne, welcome to the board, yeah you live in a great area. You will be stoked to by flying fur for the next few years. I live north of you. I do hope you find some one, there should be someone down that way. May be you can check with the California Hawking Club and California Gamehawkers Club. They are on the net.