PDA

View Full Version : Hello All !

Billy Mazella
04-15-2012, 04:46 PM
Hey, some of you guys (especially the Brits) will know me from other forums (namely the IFF where I go by the name of SoldierHawker). I am 24 years old and got my first bird in 2003 - 04 which was a Male Harris Hawk. I have since moved on and flown and bred a mixture of birds from broad wings to short wings and even long wings. I have most recently been concentrating on my Goshawks and have for the last season had the pleasure of flying a Margereson Female! (one of the BEST Finnish Goshawks I have ever ever owned / flew. I sold my breeding Goshawks last year as I needed to cut ties with people and go it alone! So My intentions with this Margereson female is to firstly fly / hunt her over a number of seasons and proove her in the field! (first season done and she has done extremely well) Once I have prooven her worth in the field I will hope to produce young from her and from a Male I will start work with this season! - Many breeders will fight to produce anything From anything and I feel in this climate it is something we need to move away from! Particularly in the UK where the law is very lax in areas! Anyway If I may I will update this thread from time to time with my exploits and maybe some pics here and there! Not sure who is on here using this forum? But to all Hey my name is Billy and I look forward to meeting some of you!

All the best Billy

Dirthawking
04-15-2012, 04:51 PM
Welcome to NAFEX Billy. I am sure you find real fast that the environment around this forum is VERY different from the IFF. Let one of the moderators know if you need anything.

Billy Mazella
04-15-2012, 05:03 PM
Welcome to NAFEX Billy. I am sure you find real fast that the environment around this forum is VERY different from the IFF. Let one of the moderators know if you need anything.

Cheers Mario! - That place isn't so bad! I've grown to realise that most are literally just Bird keepers and/or buyers and sellers of birds hoping to make a quick pound or two! - Keyboard warriors :) Saying that there are some real genuine people on there! I've met a few friends via the IFF that I know will be friends for a very long time! Hopefully I can make more Over seas! Brandy is a moderator on the IFF she is from Kentucky if I remember correctly and she always has time for people! And a very good RT! Atb Billy

Dirthawking
04-15-2012, 05:29 PM
Brandy is a moderator on the IFF she is from Kentucky if I remember correctly and she always has time for people! And a very good RT! Atb Billy

Brandi is my wife. We are in Texas.

Billy Mazella
04-15-2012, 06:06 PM
Brandi is my wife. We are in Texas.

There you go then! :D - Texas (I knew it was somewhere warm!) - tell her I said hey - (Soldierhawker) - She has not been on for awhile I don't think! - had you just moved and were having some Internet issues? Maybe this was awhile ago! Hope all of your birds are good! I've seen afew of your projects in making falconry kit / perches etc etc ! I also try to make my own where possible! Atb Bill

Billy Mazella
04-16-2012, 02:52 PM
Overwhelmed with welcomes !

christopher.vly
04-16-2012, 03:07 PM
Welcome Billy! Can you explain what a Margereson gos is? Pictures?

Forgive everyone, for the forum has been slower lately. Probably most of us are working on that honey-do list that is waiting for us after every hawking season.

Cheers!

Tony Smith
04-16-2012, 03:24 PM
Overwhelmed with welcomes !

Welcome(welc)

Tony

Billy Mazella
04-16-2012, 04:20 PM
Welcome(welc)

Tony

Cheers Tony! How are you?

Welcome Billy! Can you explain what a Margereson gos is? Pictures?

Forgive everyone, for the forum has been slower lately. Probably most of us are working on that honey-do list that is waiting for us after every hawking season.

Cheers!

Ok Christopher, a Margereson Gos is a Goshawk bred the the Margereson family in Britain! They were the last family / people to import wild trapped Finnish Goshawks from Finland to the UK! They have since then started an extensive breeding programme and produce some of the finest Finnish Goshawks available in the UK - they can produce F1 and F2 females for afew years without having to produce F3 for a few years! - I think they may well be on this forum allready?!

If you like Goshawks there definately worth a look! Not sure on how you would go about importing one there but by god you would not be disappointed! I believe lance Christian is a good friend of the Margereson family!

Thanks for the welcome! I'm looking forward to started a diary this next season! What bird(s) do you fly ? Atb Bill

christopher.vly
04-16-2012, 04:46 PM
Billy,

Thanks for clearing that up for me! Ive heard of Lance, but it was through the show pigeon community. I think its the same guy, if it is, he is an extraordinary fantail breeder too.

Anyways, I'll be flying another red-tail next year. I released my tiercel RT in March, so come October I'll be trapping again! Thank god for wild-take! Not trying to rub it in, promise. peacee

I've always been courious, what does it cost for a gos or RT in the UK?

What kind of quarry did you take with her his year?

sharptail
04-16-2012, 05:56 PM
Welcome aboard Billy!

Billy Mazella
04-16-2012, 06:05 PM
Billy,

Thanks for clearing that up for me! Ive heard of Lance, but it was through the show pigeon community. I think its the same guy, if it is, he is an extraordinary fantail breeder too.

Anyways, I'll be flying another red-tail next year. I released my tiercel RT in March, so come October I'll be trapping again! Thank god for wild-take! Not trying to rub it in, promise. peacee

I've always been courious, what does it cost for a gos or RT in the UK?

What kind of quarry did you take with her his year?

I took all manor of Quarry with her! From Rabbit to duck to pheasant and even almost (thankfully not) a heron! She really did take naturally to feather! I had to work her into wanting fur but once she had clicked she was pretty solid as an all rounder!

RedTails did go down to around £350 pounds per female - £250 per male but it seems this year there prices are on the increase as I'm sure I heard of someone selling females for £650 pounds!

Goshawks again there prices are going down particularly german Goshawks (small - medium sized gentillis) a female is around £800 - £1000 and a male is possible at £500 - £600 if not cheaper this year! Bigger birds cost more money a good Finnish bird from good stock should set you back around £1500 - £2000 minimum! (female) and then you go into albidus and White birds - £2500 - £5000 females and White male well I wouldn't like to guess the price of them!

I've flown a few and bred a few and I've got to say that the Margereson line is something else the birds are closer to wild than most in genetics and there temperaments show this! My female was taken as an imprint and she was more like a PR hawk! Not a noise and no aggression! A dream to work with!

I'm not too concerned with wild take :D and if I'm honest I'm glad it can not be done here as allready with cheap prices birds fall into the wrong hands so if they were free I wouldn't like to think about who would get a hold of them! - anyway if I wild trapped a UK goshawk it would most likely be wearing a ring ;) lmao!

What's the weather like there at the moment ? It's very hot/cold here at the moment! And we've got a hose pipe ban on! Ofcourse I can still use my hose pipe to provide water for my birds / chickens etc etc lol ATB Bill

Billy Mazella
04-16-2012, 06:06 PM
Welcome aboard Billy!

Cheers Jeff, how are you?

Billy Mazella
04-16-2012, 06:09 PM
Sorry Christipher just to add Lance is a very big breeder over there and he also breeds chickens and quail in mass I believe! :D

Dude if you ever get chance speak to Lance he may soon have some Margereson Goshawks in the USA he has been over to the UK not so long ago and was very pleased with what he saw! Who knows you might one day be catching EVERY SLIP with a goshawk lol atb Bill

sharptail
04-16-2012, 07:03 PM
Cheers Jeff, how are you?I am well! A different kind of busy since my season ended a couple of weeks back. Falcons behind me in chambers, some on the lawn and some on the horizion.

I have an amazing 16 year old retired Setter, that I dug a grave for last fall before the ground froze, still tickin. A 13 year old passage Gyr Falcon that just finished her best season in a few. My daughter has Tundra Peregrine eggs down in the breeding project, ect. ect.

How are you doing?

Billy Mazella
04-17-2012, 07:25 PM
It's all action for you then Jeff, I'm doing well! - I have a fair few Harris Hawk eggs here in my breeding chambers, and working with my Imprint Goshawks! The hunting season here hS finished a d were now breeding also! My dog is not as old but getting there! She's a spaniel cross breed and does everything and more! Hope your breeding project delivers what you require!

Keep safe

Billy

I am well! A different kind of busy since my season ended a couple of weeks back. Falcons behind me in chambers, some on the lawn and some on the horizion.

I have an amazing 16 year old retired Setter, that I dug a grave for last fall before the ground froze, still tickin. A 13 year old passage Gyr Falcon that just finished her best season in a few. My daughter has Tundra Peregrine eggs down in the breeding project, ect. ect.

How are you doing?

Wayne Finnish gosbreeder
04-25-2012, 03:09 PM
hi billy glad anikka worked out for you hope all gose well next year and will deffinatly get out together so i can see how she goses

atb wayne

Billy Mazella
04-25-2012, 04:48 PM
hi billy glad anikka worked out for you hope all gose well next year and will deffinatly get out together so i can see how she goses

atb wayne

Hey Wayne! I'm not at my computer right now I'm on my phone but could you post some pics of Annikkis mother and father please and some of her bros and sisters etc just so people can see what I mean about quality!

Reference getting out next year, I can't wait!!! Annikki has not started moulting yet! She dropped a couple of feathers then she came into condition then she went out of condition! But it's all fun and games with her at the moment! - be great to see how she goes on the bunnies up in the open mate!

See how these White ones go! (hopefully she will like the terriers!) my dog is black she's steady with her :).

Atb Take Care Bill!

(can't believe Lucas tipped the pop up in the front room!)

Wayne Finnish gosbreeder
04-25-2012, 05:13 PM
(can't believe Lucas tipped the pop up in the front room!)

hes only 2 peacee

Billy Mazella
04-25-2012, 05:44 PM
hes only 2 peacee

Lol you can imagin what he's like at home! - all he said the whole way home was "chickens" lol and then he kept on all night and the next day! I gave in and went and got them! Lol - will have to get that book for that chap when I pop up next mate ! (are you aol about next Wednesday mate?) atb Bill