PDA

View Full Version : Training Books?

Takasho
04-24-2012, 07:03 PM
There's a good chance I'll be getting an english setter pup from my Dad later this summer. My Dad had hunting dogs of all shapes and sizes while I was growing up and I gun hunted over all of them never trained one myself (I always had my birds). Now that I'm in a position where I have a little space, the kids are begging for a pet, and miraculously even my wife wants a dog (you have NO IDEA what a huge thing THAT is), my father has generously offered a pup from his first breeding this year. I'm super excited as I'd like to focus on some quail hunting this coming season but I don't have a clue how to train a good dog. I've got "Don't Shoot the Dog" on the way and some other Cesar Millan book coming but any hidden gems you experienced folk recommend? Especially in relation to a good falconry dog...

Looking forward to the adventure. Thanks!

Big Foot
04-24-2012, 07:13 PM
Isaac, maybe check out this book
Wing and Shot by R Wehle

colelkhunter
04-25-2012, 09:27 AM
Isaac,
Who trains your dads dogs? If he does it himself, I would think that would be the best resource available. You can learn from a book, sure. Having someone there to help and advise you on your dog is priceless and will go much further in getting your dog ready. If your getting a pup, most likely it won't be ready to hunt this season of any account. Most gun dog breeds require very little to start them, just exposure to game and field time. After that your dad can most likely point you in the right direction. It's work but it's fun as well.

Here are a couple books that I have and like.
Bird dog--the instinctive training method. Ben O. Williams

Gun dog--Richard a wolters. (this one is written for owners training their own dogs)

Takasho
04-25-2012, 12:07 PM
Thanks guys! I agree that my Dad would probably be a good resource but he's in Utah and I'm in SoCal. He also does a lot of field trial training which, from my personal observations, doesn't seem too conducive to my style of hawking (quail with a Coops). I'll definitely be calling him but just wanted a few other books to read through in the meantime.

Thanks again and any more suggestions are welcome!

JRedig
04-25-2012, 05:23 PM
Gun dog--Richard a wolters. (this one is written for owners training their own dogs)

I can't even count how many people have told me this is their choice as a favorite dog book.

I should probably read it someday! :D

Dirthawking
04-25-2012, 05:30 PM
I am currently reading it as well. Good book so far and came HIGHLY recommended!

colelkhunter
04-25-2012, 08:05 PM
I can't even count how many people have told me this is their choice as a favorite dog book.

I should probably read it someday! :D

Jeff, as a pro dog trainer for years, this is one of the few books that I suggest to people that have little to no experience training dogs. It breaks things down into simple goals, it's easy to understand and it works. Winning combo. i have read about everything there is out there, even though i do not train gun dogs. It is helping me with my DD that I am working with now. It has applications across the board.

STait
04-27-2012, 09:05 AM
"Training with Mo" by Martha Greenlee is the best book I know of. It's so easy to follow.

Takasho
04-30-2012, 12:58 AM
Thanks Steve, unfortunately it's not on Amazon! I'll have to look a little harder for that one...

BrianD
04-30-2012, 02:26 AM
Forget the books if you have never trained a bird dog. The videos "Perfect Start" and "Perfect Finish" are ten times better than any book I have read and I have read a few including Wother's "Gun Dog."

gratefool1
04-30-2012, 09:42 PM
I read Gun Dog and Water Dog years ago, and i just recently read don't shoot the dog. I am currently reading "training the versatile hunting dog" by johnson. It's pretty good but I am only 40% in.
I think my philosophy is not to look for a "recipe" per se, but more of a better understanding. Good luck to you!

colelkhunter
04-30-2012, 10:26 PM
I read Gun Dog and Water Dog years ago, and i just recently read don't shoot the dog. I am currently reading "training the versatile hunting dog" by johnson. It's pretty good but I am only 40% in.
I think my philosophy is not to look for a "recipe" per se, but more of a better understanding. Good luck to you!

Ab, I am reading that one now as well. I like it so far. Just watch out for the ones that advocate too much e-collar work. This presents a problem for folks that are not familiar wih using a e-collar for the first time.

STait
05-01-2012, 08:55 PM
Forget the books if you have never trained a bird dog. The videos "Perfect Start" and "Perfect Finish" are ten times better than any book I have read and I have read a few including Wother's "Gun Dog."

Brian, I've heard good things about the Perfect start series. Do you have any copies for rent?? Can't spend the money for the set new right now. Been buying too many other things for the dogs. I prefer videos to books as well, just not many worth buying.

gratefool1
05-01-2012, 11:58 PM
Thanks Brian. As I am thinking Viszla, I don't know if I will even use it at all. I can say that it helped a ton with my lab though.

Biged
05-02-2012, 08:52 AM
This is a good video. I found it very helpful.

George Hickox DVD video-

http://www.gundogsupply.com/gehitrpododv.html

STait
05-02-2012, 09:31 AM
Thanks Steve, unfortunately it's not on Amazon! I'll have to look a little harder for that one...

Isaac, I think you have to buy it through Martha Greenlee, but she's easy to find on the net.

Asearle
05-02-2012, 06:38 PM
Isaac, as far as videos go I really like first steps by Ben Garcia from hideaway kennels. Well worth the money.

Takasho
05-02-2012, 11:23 PM
Thanks guys, keep 'em comin!