PDA

View Full Version : NewB in Guilderland NY

SOMahony
06-26-2012, 10:34 AM
Hey all. Just wanted to put alittle intro on here. About 2 years ago I learned about how feasable falconry was. Ever since i've had my head in books and websites abroad. Last year for my birthday my wife got me a trip to go down and spend the afternoon in Hershey PA flying a HH with Jack Hubley @ The Falconry Experience. While I am Definately going to pursue getting my apprentice license. Its not going to be for at least another year or two,as we are expecting our first child in Aug. Im just on here to learn as much as i can. Also if there's anyone local to me that wouldnt mind me tagging along some. Not looking for a sponsor yet. But I'd love to get some first hand experience, training, flying, hunting, Anything really. As of right now Im thinking a male redtail for some squirrel hawking as my first bird. Guess that about wraps things up for now.

ice
06-26-2012, 12:16 PM
Welcome Sean
I you haven't yet check out the NYS website. nysfa.org

Toadstool
06-26-2012, 12:17 PM
Welcome to a fellow NYer! :) Congrats on the little one coming soon!

sharptail
06-26-2012, 12:37 PM
Hey Sean, thanks for the intro! It is always nice to know who is on the forum.

SOMahony
06-26-2012, 12:49 PM
Alan, I've checked it out. i guess the site is under some updating i couldnt find a place to join as a member, and i would asume forums on there are members only?

Anthony, Thank you! tho i did have to use the $ on building a nursery rather then a mews as i'd planned, me and the wife are very excited about the birth of our lil girl.

BTW where in NY are you guys hailing from?

ice
06-26-2012, 02:19 PM
Sean you should be able to sign up in the member section.

I live in Hannibal.

Saluqi
06-26-2012, 03:19 PM
Hi Sean,

I'm a native NY'er and grew up nearby you in Clifton Park, graduated from SUNY Albany in '85, so I know Guilderland well! I moved out west in '86, so I can't help you on the falconry front, but I believe there's a guy on here from Ravena, I'll try to remember his name. Probably a good idea to wait with the birth of your first child coming up, you have far more important tasks in your near future! Good Luck!

beldinrt
06-26-2012, 05:07 PM
Hi Sean,

I am not far from you in Ravena and there are several more falconers in the Duanesburg area. You can give me a call at 756-3607.

SOMahony
06-26-2012, 06:42 PM
Wow guys thanks for all the responces. I was just expecting a few "welcomes" i will definately be in touch!

Toadstool
06-28-2012, 08:36 AM
Im just 20 minutes from Utica :)

Biged
06-29-2012, 01:08 PM
(welc) Good luck on your ventures. Someone built an app based of the NYS study guide. It's available in the apprentice section. I only studied from it for a few weeks and passed the test. I'm in Halfmoon, up by Clifton Park. I recently passed the test, acquired a sponsor and will begin my mew construction this weekend. Can't wait until this fall!

SOMahony
07-01-2012, 12:25 PM
Ed, Where did you find that app? cant you send me a link?

FredFogg
07-02-2012, 10:55 PM
Ed, Where did you find that app? cant you send me a link?

I am not Ed but here you go!

http://www.nafex.net/showpost.php?p=246273&postcount=13