PDA

View Full Version : Rhode Island

Mully
07-17-2012, 08:37 PM
I was referred to this community by Raptor Repertoire and am interested in speaking with a falconer in my area in order to gain more information and learn about any groups or other events that may be available.

My goal is to become involved in the falconry community as I begin the steps to becoming an apprentice falconer, and most importantly, gain as much insight and education in order to make the best choices going forward.

I live in Rhode Island, work in behavioral/psychiatric education and plan to stay here for the long haul. I have been interested in birds, raptors in particular, my entire life, and over the last five years have turned this into a passion. I received a 'falconry' packet from my state, and registered to complete a hunter's education course in August. What makes the art of falconry appealing is the conservation aspect of it as well as the partnership approach versus that of 'ownership.'

Three weeks ago I was also fortunate to rescue and release an adult cooper's hawk after finding it in the middle of a road, in shock, with a dead cardinal nearby. I have had an opportunity to view and photograph many raptors but this was a first and it did affirm my interest in becoming a part of the falconry community.

I appreciate you taking the time and would welcome any advice or other comments.

Mike Mulligan

mainefalconer
07-18-2012, 04:37 PM
Mike,

I can put you in touch with the most active and informed falconer in Rhode Island. He's a good friend of mine. Shoot me an email and I'll send along his information. (scottmcneff@yahoo.com)

Dirthawking
07-18-2012, 06:04 PM
Welcome to NAFEX Mike!

Tom Scheib
07-19-2012, 10:43 AM
Welcome Mike. Scott will do you right.