PDA

View Full Version : Black Hills, South Dakota, USA

Canyonrunner
07-20-2012, 11:16 PM
I've been soaking up loads of good information for the last week, a GIANT thank you to everyone for providing this wonderful educational opportunity.

I am NOT a falconer...yet! I work with a non-profit raptor education program, doing 125-150 programs a year. We currently keep a 23 yr old imprinted RTHA, a 2yr old imprinted AMKE, and two rehabbed wild owls, a WESO and a GHOW. At this time only the AMKE gets flown, and only indoors for excercise, not in programs.

The RTHA has taken a shine to me this year. I brought her sticks daily and she built a nice nest in her jumpbox and produced 3 very lovely eggs (infertile, of course). During the brooding, she acted "egg drunk", and has never been so gentle on the glove in her 23 years.

Our center is working towards becoming a rehab facility as well, since we seems to get quite a few calls on downed raptors (including three golden eagle calls this summer already). Meanwhile, we have a long row to hoe trying to convince people that shooting "chicken hawks" isn't a good idea.

Again, thanks everyone!
John Halverson

Lee Slikkers
07-21-2012, 10:07 AM
Welcome to NAFEX Johnny Boy! This site is THE best resource out there for Raptors in North America. Glad to hear you are working towards your Falconry Permit...it is a journey you will never regret.

Lee

Canyonrunner
07-21-2012, 12:25 PM
WARNING: The following statement is an attempt to produce a humourous response and is not intended to be taken seriously. Persons with limited senses of humour should not read further, nor should anyone reading the following post believe the statement is truthful or serious.*

Hey Lee, you know me. Just looking for another source of feathers for fletching arrows.

*Offer void in Rhode Island. Your mileage may vary. Tax, title, and license not included. Please enclose money order and two box tops.

sakerjack
07-21-2012, 02:10 PM
I've been soaking up loads of good information for the last week, a GIANT thank you to everyone for providing this wonderful educational opportunity.

I am NOT a falconer...yet! I work with a non-profit raptor education program, doing 125-150 programs a year. We currently keep a 23 yr old imprinted RTHA, a 2yr old imprinted AMKE, and two rehabbed wild owls, a WESO and a GHOW. At this time only the AMKE gets flown, and only indoors for excercise, not in programs.

The RTHA has taken a shine to me this year. I brought her sticks daily and she built a nice nest in her jumpbox and produced 3 very lovely eggs (infertile, of course). During the brooding, she acted "egg drunk", and has never been so gentle on the glove in her 23 years.

Our center is working towards becoming a rehab facility as well, since we seems to get quite a few calls on downed raptors (including three golden eagle calls this summer already). Meanwhile, we have a long row to hoe trying to convince people that shooting "chicken hawks" isn't a good idea.

Again, thanks everyone!
John Halverson

Welcome John,

sharptail
07-21-2012, 05:42 PM
Hi John, welcome aboard! Where is the raptor center located in the Black Hills?

Canyonrunner
08-08-2012, 12:45 PM
We are based out of Rapid City, but at this time do not have a facility open to the public. But that is in the works at this time.