PDA

View Full Version : Nafa regional meet

falcipiter
09-10-2012, 12:05 PM
Well, not just being a Nafex member, lurker and occasional poster, I am now the Chairman of the first ever NAFA Regional Meet. Many of you NAFA members did not like the dates of our national meet being Thanksgiving week and in some cases, too far to travel. So, NAFA is trying to meet with all that wish to attend a NAFA function and there will be a Regional meet for those East of the Mississippi and next year, one West of the Rockies. There will still be the large NAFA meets held Thanksgiving week.
This years Regional meet will be held in conjunction with the Pa. Falconry and Hawk Trust meet and the dates are the 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th of Jan. 2013 in Lancaster, Pa.
The area hosts a good number of upland game as well as some good opportunity for ducks. (And note: The occasional "Yard Grouse" have also been taken but not recommended.)
All you need from out of state is a hunting license and they can be procured on-line from the Pa. Game Commission at www.pgc.state.pa.us/ (http://www.pgc.state.pa.us/) Also being secured for hawking will be the Letterkenny Army Depot. Although an hour drive, it offers many hundreds of acres for our us during the meet.
The PFHT, welcomes the first ever NAFA Regional meet and we do like to remind all that the first ever Falconry meet in the New World was held in Media Pa. back in the '30's.
We are requesting vendors to show up and there will be a "Falconers Flea Market" for those of you wishing to pass along some of your long treasured falconry items. (Already there is one gentleman who will fill up a table with rare and collectable falconry books. And another will be bringing his collection of falconry tackle collected over 40 plus years.)
We are also looking for sponsors for our hospitality meetings in the evenings. (Contact me to reserve a night.)
To book a room contact the hotel directly at the following number. Be sure to include the ID for the meet to get our $74.00 rate:

Heritage Hotel
Lancaster, Pa.
(717)898-2431
Our booking ID is: PFH010213

Shortly, we will be offering pre-registration via the NAFA website.

Feel free to contact me with questions and there will be more to follow in the next few weeks.

mainefalconer
09-10-2012, 12:14 PM
See you there Michael. Looking forward to it. PA put on a great meet last year, and I would guess that this year will be another big success. Thank you for taking the lead in organizing this meet.

Saluqi
09-10-2012, 12:16 PM
Hi Michael,

Thanks for doing all the leg work on the meet, I know it's a thankless job! I think having a regional NAFA meet in PA is fantastic as I've heard good things about the folks and country there.

falcipiter
09-10-2012, 12:55 PM
Paul,
I'ver heard and experienced the same from you all in New Mexico. It's great traveling to other states to hawk and meet other falconers. You learn so much.

broken feather
09-10-2012, 05:13 PM
Michael, I know you should have a good number of ducks. How the been in doves in Jan. how?? Is there any wild population of pheasants let in Pa.? In the 80's there was some around Chamberburg.

FredFogg
09-10-2012, 06:39 PM
Shortly, we will be offering pre-registration via the NAFA website.

Hmmm, just heard about this today! Lots of questions will have to be answered first. frus)

joekoz
09-10-2012, 07:35 PM
Michael:

Thanks for your help! Received my hotel confirmation today, and am very much looking forward to this event. If it is half as good as last years Pennsylvania Falconry & Hawk Trust Meet it will be great.

PHILADELPHIA CITY HAWKER
09-11-2012, 08:49 AM
Mike, I see a big turnout for this meet based on summer get togethers with falconers out of state. I'm sure you have a team of people working on this event. I would like to throw a sky trial for the falconers during the meet. I was also thinking about scoping out the area for farms for small bird hawking with falcons. Let me know if this is already being done. I would think we could get voluteers (including myself) to secure enough fields (short and long wing) for the demand.

Another issue, do we register for both the PA and NAFA or just NAFA meet?

broken feather
09-11-2012, 11:02 AM
Jeff, would you look for some old barn with pigeons???

PHILADELPHIA CITY HAWKER
09-11-2012, 01:23 PM
Jeff, would you look for some old barn with pigeons???

Yes, I'm going to google earth before I head out there in November/December to find the cut corn fields, silos and barns for starlings, morning doves and pigeons. I anticipate there will be a few falconers that are flying Merlins, Barbs and small falcons.

broken feather
09-11-2012, 05:10 PM
Jeff, I hunted western Pa. and western Md. most of my life. It could be a great meet!

gos'n
09-11-2012, 08:44 PM
So, made my reservation. We'll be coming in the day before the meet starts to do a little scouting.
The young lady who booked me says " No pets allowed"
Really? For a Falconry meet? My GSP ain't sleeping in the cold.

mainefalconer
09-11-2012, 10:20 PM
John, Dogs ARE allowed.
I hope you booked at the correct hotel. Here's the info....

LOCATION: Heritage Hotel, Centerville (Lancaster Co.), PA ROOM RESERVATIONS: 717-755-0123, x-580; or 877-STAY-PLAY COST: $74 S/D, no smoking, pets allowed with no additional deposit, but, in the event of damage, guests will be charged an additional $100.

Just tell your GSP not to smoke in the hotel room, and you should be fine.

gos'n
09-12-2012, 08:55 AM
Thanks Scott.
Yes, that's the place. I must have been given a little misinformation.

zx2run
09-12-2012, 10:41 PM
Very much looking forward to this meet! I hope that many people from the area will be able to make it.

I for one am anxious to get my 1x intermewed RT ready for this meet and my trip to Kansas in November.

Are we supposed to register with PFHT and NAFA?

falcipiter
12-20-2012, 10:26 PM
Just to let the group know, there are 110 signed up as pre-registered for the upcoming meet in Lancaster Pa in Jan.
I am shooting for a total of 200 and if any of you or friends are planning on attending, please register on-line.
http://www.n-a-f-a.com/regmeet/mirmr.htm

Rabbits, squirrels are up in numbers and there are ducks to be found as well. And you will be very surprised what the registration fee will get you. (You have to come to find out just what I have in store....)
Looking forward to meeting any NAFEX member, and please introduce yourself to me as such.
The PFHT has always done a top rate job and they are more than willing to accomodate all who come and hawk. We want to make this 1st Regional NAFA event one worth following up on and continued on the West Coast next year.
See you in Amish Country.

raptrlvr
12-20-2012, 11:01 PM
After talking with falcipiter about this meet, it should be a really good one. Lots of people and some important topics will be discussed.

FredFogg
12-21-2012, 02:50 PM
Just to let the group know, there are 110 signed up as pre-registered for the upcoming meet in Lancaster Pa in Jan.
I am shooting for a total of 200 and if any of you or friends are planning on attending, please register on-line.
http://www.n-a-f-a.com/regmeet/mirmr.htm

Rabbits, squirrels are up in numbers and there are ducks to be found as well. And you will be very surprised what the registration fee will get you. (You have to come to find out just what I have in store....)
Looking forward to meeting any NAFEX member, and please introduce yourself to me as such.
The PFHT has always done a top rate job and they are more than willing to accomodate all who come and hawk. We want to make this 1st Regional NAFA event one worth following up on and continued on the West Coast next year.
See you in Amish Country.

Wrong link for registration Michael, folks please go to the NAFA meet page and follow that link. The link above is for Michael to enter mail in registration forms. On my phone, so hard to post the link.

Got it, go to this link to register.

http://www.n-a-f-a.com/regmeet/ormr.htm

falcipiter
12-21-2012, 04:16 PM
Fred,
I am the reason they put erasers on pencils! Thanks for that.

Who all from here is going?

Ken S.
12-21-2012, 04:28 PM
I'm registered... will see you there!

Chesapeakehawk
12-21-2012, 04:32 PM
I'm headed up on the first, and very excited!

falcipiter
12-21-2012, 07:04 PM
We have a nice group of give-a-ways that is included with the registration. One thing, they made a mistake on the t-shirts. Instead of $9 ones that were very acceptable, the processor sent of $20 ones by mistake. All to our advantage!
Also, I was in Harrisburg today giving a class to the Pa Game Commission for the new Game Protectors and first hand can tell you the game numbers are up in that part of the state.
We are expecting a dusting of snow between now and the meet and that will make for perfect hawking conditions. (I ordered that by the way, thank you!)
Again, looking forward to meeting all of you.

GONEHAWKN
12-21-2012, 07:29 PM
I am signed up as well. Myself and Redtail71 aka Dave, will be rolling in on Thursday afternoon/evening. See you all there.

Red-tail71
12-23-2012, 07:50 AM
I am signed up as well. Myself and Redtail71 aka Dave, will be rolling in on Thursday afternoon/evening. See you all there.

There goes the neighborhood! toungeout

nycfalconer
12-23-2012, 01:08 PM
I'm coming on Wednesdayand staying til Sunday. I hope they have rabbits. My rabbit spots got wiped out by hurricane Sandy.peacee

falcipiter
12-23-2012, 06:48 PM
Trust assure. There are bunnies to be had. Now last year we had a similiar problem as we had very wet spring and fall. The numbers were the lowest I remember. Fortunately, they are recovered.

mainefalconer
12-24-2012, 08:08 AM
Michael,

Could you write something here about raffle donations, for those of us that would like to contribute to this meet? See you soon!

John white
12-24-2012, 09:40 AM
The Conn falconers are sending a giant hood for the raffle
John

falcipiter
12-24-2012, 10:15 AM
Raffle? Did someone mention Raffle?
Well, expect the best raffle you guys and girls have ever seen. Giant hoods, small hoods, complete telemetry setups, artwork, gloves, etc.etc.etc......
Cheri Heimbach is gathering the goodies and we will have two days of raffles. See the registration page for her contact information) Friday and Saturday with several of the best items held for last, leftover tickets. (Keeps you all interested and on pins until the end.) And although Pa. law does not allow live raffle items, we will be having a leash and collar that fit perfectfly on a puppy Brittney Spaniel and nothing else and maybe a set of jesses and cuffs that fit a chamber raised, this season Harris Hawk.
WOW! I can't wait.
And finally, we are close enough to see the long term forecasts and the weather is going to be perfect. (As Chairman, I was in charge of that and as always, am pulling that one off, and am now taking credit.)
There is still time to register on-line and Wednesday, my apprentices are coming to my house to stuff the registration packages and have some holiday cheer.
It looks like we will be hosting around 200 falconers. Considering most NAFA Meets have 300-350 This is what we were striving for.

Lowachi
12-24-2012, 10:35 AM
It looks like we will be hosting around 200 falconers. Considering most NAFA Meets have 300-350 This is what we were striving for.

excellent!! Looks like the folks have spoken!!:Dclappclapp

gemiller
12-30-2012, 08:35 PM
I'll be there, i'm hoping to see some of the guys that I met at last year's PFHT meet as well as fly with the guys I am booked nearby at the hotel with. I certainly hope for next years PFHT meet I'll have a bird to fly myself!

robbeth
12-31-2012, 10:38 PM
What kind of non res license do I need to chase starlings with my screaming misprint AK in PA helpp

joekoz
01-01-2013, 10:06 AM
Rob:

The Pennsylvania non-resident 7 day hunting license costs $31.70. You can purchase it on-line, however you cannot print it out on-line. The PA website states that it will be mailed to you within 7 to 10 days.

You can purchase one in New Jersey at the following agent locations:

BOB'S LITTLE SPORT SHOP, INC.

316 NORTH DELSEA DRIVE

GLASSBORO NJ, 08028

856-881-7575 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting 856-881-7575 end_of_the_skype_highlighting

BULLET HOLE INC

78 RUTGERS ST

BELLEVILLE NJ, 07109

973-759-3968 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting 973-759-3968 end_of_the_skype_highlighting

CHEYENNE MT OUTFITTERS LLC

691 ROUTE 130 UNIT B

ROBBINSVILLE, NJ, 08691

609-570-8430 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting 609-570-8430 end_of_the_skype_highlighting

EFINGER SPORTING GOODS CO., INC.

513 WEST UNION AVENUE (ROUTE 28)

BOUND BROOK NJ, 08805

732-356-0604 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting 732-356-0604 end_of_the_skype_highlighting

SAYREVILLE SPORTSMAN

52 WASHINGTON RD

SAYREVILLE, NJ, 08872

908-238-2060 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting 908-238-2060 end_of_the_skype_highlighting

SPORTSMEN'S CENTER

ROUTE 130

BORDENTOWN NJ, 08505

609-298-5300 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting 609-298-5300

I plan on picking mine up at Cabelas in Hamburg, PA just off of Route 78 on my way out to the meet.
Looking forward to seeing you at the meet.

FredFogg
01-01-2013, 11:02 AM
Speaking of non-resident license, Michael or anyone else, is there a place in Lancaster that we can purchase one? I waited to buy mine online and like Joe said, found out I couldn't print it out and had to wait for them to mail it to me. So I am just going to get one Wednesday evening when I arrive. Can we buy one at Walmart, if there is one there?

joekoz
01-01-2013, 11:16 AM
Fred:

Cabelas in Hamburg, PA is 47 miles from Lancaster about an hours drive away. They are opened Monday through Saturday 8:00am to 9:00pm. Worst case scenario you can purchase your license there.

I'm planning on driving up Thursday morning, and leaving on Sunday morning. Looking forward to seeing you at the meet.

FredFogg
01-01-2013, 01:04 PM
Fred:

Cabelas in Hamburg, PA is 47 miles from Lancaster about an hours drive away. They are opened Monday through Saturday 8:00am to 9:00pm. Worst case scenario you can purchase your license there.

I'm planning on driving up Thursday morning, and leaving on Sunday morning. Looking forward to seeing you at the meet.

Thanks Joe! We will be coming up 81, so anyplace along that route once we get in PA will work. See you there!

robbeth
01-01-2013, 02:01 PM
Thanks Joe! We will be coming up 81, so anyplace along that route once we get in PA will work. See you there!
On PA game commissions web site there is a list of agents there is quite a few .I believe a few years back I picked them up at a Wal-mart on the way to the PA Meet.I just wasn't sure if I needed it for chasing starlings. I mean it not like we're catching any.frus)

Cuz
01-01-2013, 02:45 PM
Looking forward to meeting all of you out of staters. A lot of effort, thought, and work have gone into this meet. Mike is really pouring it on. Certainly not an event to be missed. Rabbits and Squirrels have benefited this past year and are in number. The raffle holds even more surprises than mentioned previously.

Good luck and safe travels.

Mark D. Cusick

falcipiter
01-01-2013, 03:15 PM
As stated above, DO WE HAVE RAFFLE ITEMS!
I just came from the international offices of Euro-Optics. They (meaning Seth Roy, who is on this list) have donated a new pair of Zeiss 10X42 binoculars!
Make sure you all get with Dave Lowe who is the rafflemeister and buy lots of tickets.
LATEST WEATHER REPORT: highs in the low 30's. Down into the teens at night. Clear every day of the meet. (Hey, since I'm in charge, I'll take credit for planning the weather too.)
No reason not to attend.
See you all there.

Ken S.
01-01-2013, 08:26 PM
Are you sure that buying online and printing it out isnt enough for now? I thought that if you had the printout, it would prove you are legal until they mail you a permanent copy. I will have to do some reading on their site to verify I guess. Dang, thats what I get for waiting til the last minute. I remember a handful of years ago at one of the PA meets, the local stores didnt have any more hunting licenses after Jan 1st, they had sent their un-sold licenses back and we had to go to the courthouse or somewhere official. I dont think it will come to that though, we should be ok this close to the new year. I will check in the morning at the nearest place I know of to buy one and post here if I have a problem.

PHILADELPHIA CITY HAWKER
01-02-2013, 10:24 AM
Ken, you can get a license at the Lancaster County Treasury Office right near the Lancaster Courthouse . Hours 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.. Phone 717-299-8222. Appx. 15 minutes from the Hotel.

FredFogg
01-02-2013, 03:37 PM
Interesting start to 2013 for me, came home yesterday to find my door kicked in and my computers, tv's, toaster oven, etc., along with my meet vacation money stolen. Had to spend my entire New Years Day putting up a new door and locks. Headed out this morning to the meet and stop at a spot to hunt bunnies and both my bird and Ling's scored a rabbit. On our way to Lancaster, so I really need a drink tonight. Oh yeah, they stole the booze I had bought to take with me and my duffle bag with my traveling clothes in it! Grrrrrrr!

Lowachi
01-02-2013, 04:34 PM
ouch man!!! least they didn't mess w/the birds.. I trust you've got the cops watchin yer stuff while yer gone

COMEAUX
01-02-2013, 05:22 PM
that really sucks Fred, what scumbags, need to have a 8 pound sledge come down on their hands with you swinging it!

skooky20
01-02-2013, 09:42 PM
where was your dog, that eats cats

FredFogg
01-02-2013, 11:27 PM
where was your dog, that eats cats

He was with me, unfortunately! And to top it off, when Ling arrived to pick me up, I ran back in the house to get my portable stainless steel bow perch that is stored in a case and they took that and my portable block perch. Probably had no clue what they were but they were in nice cases so they took them.

hawkstir
01-05-2013, 06:58 PM
I couldn't make it but was hoping somebody would post some pics. of the action. What's happin?
I'm sitting at home jonesing.
Help!

Lowachi
01-05-2013, 08:17 PM
I couldn't make it but was hoping somebody would post some pics. of the action. What's happin?
I'm sitting at home jonesing.
Help!

evidently too busy hawking to post pix yet..expect it's banquet time now..I'm sure Michael will post something once he catches his breath ;)

Red-tail71
01-05-2013, 08:52 PM
It was great to see everyone that was there. We had some great gripping and grinning sessions. Hawking was ok. Game was scarce and spots were pretty few and far between. All in all it was a good time with a bunch of great people!

FredFogg
01-05-2013, 10:11 PM
EmmyLou scores!!!!!!

http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/ii68/FredrickFogg/DCE10643-5051-42AA-B199-3699E4DA207B-5001-0000023FB0D479E0.jpg

Ling's HH caught a couple!

http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/ii68/FredrickFogg/E64A5CBD-0C34-4E47-8C93-E4583322200A-5001-0000023FB4A36842.jpg

Red-tail71
01-05-2013, 10:54 PM
WAY TO GO FRED AND EL!!!! It was a blast hawking and hanging out with you Fred! Nice to meet you Ling! Take care guys and have a safe trip home tomorrow!

Lowachi
01-05-2013, 11:18 PM
thumbsupp Fred!!!

redtailnut
01-06-2013, 08:22 PM
http://library.adach.ae/en/eshopping/the.art.of.falconry.aspx

Ref Ken's Book.

This is for Rich for some reason I could not post on the other thread.

HammerTime33
01-06-2013, 11:22 PM
My son and I are aspiring falconers. This was our first meet, first contact and first real experience with falconry aside from reading and knowledge gained from the internet. Before the meet we had talked to several in the art even a possible sponsor.
Then came the meet, a little nervous sure but excited to learn and meet people practicing the art of falconry. The ART? I thought it was a sport but was corrected and soon experienced why it was an art.

art

Noun

The expression or application of human creative skill and imagination, typically in a visual form such as painting or sculpture,...: "the art of the Renaissance"
Works produced by such skill and imagination.

Synonyms craft - skill - artifice - science - workmanship - knack

I went out hawking several times and saw what I am sure is just a few of the creatives ways one uses these majestic creatures to hunt. The science of it, the skill it takes, the breath taking flights and the thrill of the chase and catch. It is an Art, Thank You for showing me.

I also found a very tight nit group of people that were passonite about Falconry and willing to share there knowledge of it with strangers once they changed from there blaze orange ( I know better now). We asked a lot of questions and we were accepted and invited to tag along. We met some interesting people, listened to some cool stories and created a few of our own. I had a weekend that will not be forgotten anytime soon.

I appoligized to a few for what is coming, I am HOOKED. I will be bugging you soon. LETS GO HAWKIN

THANKS TO ALL for a great and memorable weekend,
Roma Altimus Jr.

sharptail
01-07-2013, 02:48 AM
My son and I are aspiring falconers. This was our first meet, first contact and first real experience with falconry aside from reading and knowledge gained from the internet. Before the meet we had talked to several in the art even a possible sponsor.
Then came the meet, a little nervous sure but excited to learn and meet people practicing the art of falconry. The ART? I thought it was a sport but was corrected and soon experienced why it was an art.

art

Noun

The expression or application of human creative skill and imagination, typically in a visual form such as painting or sculpture,...: "the art of the Renaissance"
Works produced by such skill and imagination.

Synonyms craft - skill - artifice - science - workmanship - knack

I went out hawking several times and saw what I am sure is just a few of the creatives ways one uses these majestic creatures to hunt. The science of it, the skill it takes, the breath taking flights and the thrill of the chase and catch. It is an Art, Thank You for showing me.

I also found a very tight nit group of people that were passonite about Falconry and willing to share there knowledge of it with strangers once they changed from there blaze orange ( I know better now). We asked a lot of questions and we were accepted and invited to tag along. We met some interesting people, listened to some cool stories and created a few of our own. I had a weekend that will not be forgotten anytime soon.

I appoligized to a few for what is coming, I am HOOKED. I will be bugging you soon. LETS GO HAWKIN

THANKS TO ALL for a great and memorable weekend,
Roma Altimus Jr.Struggle hard Roma! Hooked fish get off of the line all the time. Tell your selfs that it is: too difficult, too expensive, too gov't intrusive, it is cruel, too time consuming, there may not be enough game in your area, your wife/girlfriend may leave you. lol. Come on, you can get free! Just cause the folks here have wrecked there live for sport, why should you?

dcowan
01-07-2013, 11:16 AM
Don't really think "art" describes my relationship with falconry. "Addiction" and "religion" are closer to it.

mainefalconer
01-07-2013, 11:32 AM
http://i824.photobucket.com/albums/zz163/scottmcneff/DSC_0059-001.jpg
http://i824.photobucket.com/albums/zz163/scottmcneff/DSC_0033-003-1.jpg
http://i824.photobucket.com/albums/zz163/scottmcneff/DSC_0050-002.jpg
http://i824.photobucket.com/albums/zz163/scottmcneff/DSC_0053-002.jpg
http://i824.photobucket.com/albums/zz163/scottmcneff/DSC_0057-001-1.jpg
http://i824.photobucket.com/albums/zz163/scottmcneff/DSC_0056-001.jpg
http://i824.photobucket.com/albums/zz163/scottmcneff/DSC_0058-002.jpg

RedTailChik
01-07-2013, 11:50 AM
It was really a great time! I really enjoyed meeting some new faces and hearing some great hawking stories (I will never hunt near a deer farm). I hope everyone has a great remainder of the season!

GONEHAWKN
01-07-2013, 12:20 PM
Don't really think "art" describes my relationship with falconry. "Addiction" and "religion" are closer to it.

Dan, i could not agree more....Melissa, sorry we did not get a chance to chat more than the few seconds that we saw each other. I hope you have a great rest of the season folks...

falcipiter
01-07-2013, 03:22 PM
Scott, thanks for posting the pictures.
To all that attended: It was very humbling the show of appriciation I received. It made up for the countless sleepless nights and last night I slept like a rock!
It is the behind the scenes that really make for a successful meet and if not for the work of Fred Fogg, I'd still be shaking and worrying about the numbers.
To me, seeing all the newbees and young falconers there, made me feel that our "Art", will thrive and continue.
(And I will say it again, the raffle was not rigged that the one running it actually was picked for the first winning number! It was pure kismet ;-) )
I'm glad you all had a good time.

gratefool1
01-07-2013, 03:24 PM
So bummed I could not come up for this since my in-laws live just over the river in idyllic horse country with lots of nice hunting spots.

I did get an interesting email from my father in law who is an avid cyclist in Lancaster county who tells me that one of his friends was hit by a "falcon" while he was biking last week. The email was hilarious. He said he heard a loud sound and something like a Harrier jet came down almost smacking him in the head =). He stopped and turned around to see a strange guy with a stick and a big glove waving at him. The guy apologized and said the bird was his and "was in love with him" (the bikers words) and was jealous of the biker. The bird came back and buzzed him again striking him in his helmet. At that point, he took off. I wish i could post the entire email. Ill ask permission cause it was priceless. =)

Anyone fess up to an imprint with a taste for cyclist? And do you get a badge for that? =)

laj
01-07-2013, 03:37 PM
I thoroughly enjoyed the company I had. We had an interesting dinner at the Apple Tree, many laughs were had. I got to watch Dave's Hope fly and talk hood with Bill. Some nice flights with Corey's RT when we did find squirrels. We struggle to find a good place to hunt the first couple of days, but made up for it on the last day with plenty of bunny slips.

Thanks to Michael for all his hard work!

falcipiter
01-07-2013, 03:53 PM
That cycle hitting falcon has been officially retired! It did the same thing again at the meet and before it becomes a real problem, the owner is going to send her to a breeder. That bird hit me last year at our state meet and for it, the falconer received a White Hard Hat for all of the observers that go out with him. Of course it was presented at the banquet with a lot of pomp.
We do bust on one another, don't we?

gratefool1
01-07-2013, 04:00 PM
Ive got to get permission to post that email. I about had coffee spewing from my nose this morning reading it =).

raptrlvr
01-07-2013, 04:17 PM
Thanks for posting the pictures. It shows how great this meet was. Sadly, there are those of us who live on the other side of the US that couldn't make it to the meet. We were left to go out hawking slaying those jack rabbits in our area.

Toruk_Makto
01-07-2013, 08:24 PM
It was a real privilege to have the opportunity to hawk with Fred, Ling, Bill, Richard, Dave, Brandon, etc. I will post a bunch of pictures soon.
Thank you to all those involved in the planning of this awesome event.

Lowachi
01-07-2013, 08:51 PM
Great job Michael &Crew!!clapp and love that print!!!!!

Ken S.
01-07-2013, 09:19 PM
I had a great time at the meet, it was good to spend some time hawking with friends. PFHT always puts on a good meet, and this one was even better. Sorry I didn't get a chance to go out hawking with more of you, the days went by quickly. Our group found good numbers of rabbits and squirrels (caught 3), and the weather was near perfect for my tastes (I would have liked some snow but I'm not complaining). I was impressed with how much game was caught at the meet... a real testimony to the high quality of falconers we've got around here!

I hope everyone would agree that the idea of a regional meet was a proven success... hopefully something that continues. Any ideas for where this should be next? Maybe Ohio or Indiana would be good? Are the regional meets planned for every year?

Tarzan58
01-08-2013, 10:29 AM
This was the first Falconry meet I've ever attended. Pulling up to the hotel I saw a lot of grizzled looking men milling about the parking lot. I thought to myself, "Well, this could be heaven or this could be hell." The old Eagles song ringing through my ears.

It turned out to be just heaven. Everyone I met was more than welcoming. It was a blast seeing Seth's goshawk take a rabbit. And watching Jeff's peregrine take a stoop at a duck was amazing. Watching it fly down to the lure from about 800 feet up was just as cool.

Mike you did a great job with everything. All the time you put into organizing this event showed. The banquet was spot on. Seeing the camaraderie between fellow Falconers is really encouraging. I don't think you'll find that sort of thing very often these days.

Thank you everyone. I look forward to seeing you all again in the future.

PHILADELPHIA CITY HAWKER
01-08-2013, 11:50 AM
I was impressed with all of the women falconers that attended the meet walking around confidently with big hen Redtails and notable game count.

Cuz
01-08-2013, 11:57 AM
Falconers are a fabulous group of people and even better in numbers. This event really gets the mouth drooling for the NAFA national meet. The quality of people, attitudes, politeness, affability and willingness to share are unparalleled to any other group I have encountered. Thanks to all that came, it was a blast.

I have read that the game was scarce? I could not disagree more. One twelve year old apprentice took three head of game and was only stopped because we could not find the hawk and she had cropped up on her kill. Another second year apprentice got three head as well. I personally took one head of game and had more than enough slips to get me to four. The meet chairman even found enough time to elicit two head himself.

We were fortunate to have a local take us to some of his spots, but most of the time, we were freestyling. This type of allocation proved just as good as the locals places. Most of these places were all around the hotel. We did not drive more than ten minutes to find any of them. We even hit places other falconers had just left and kicked up game. You do have to play to win.
Great thanks to Michael Kuriga. He put meet that will be hard to surpass. Good luck to those that try. Good luck and Godspeed.

FredFogg
01-08-2013, 12:54 PM
I hope everyone would agree that the idea of a regional meet was a proven success... hopefully something that continues. Any ideas for where this should be next? Maybe Ohio or Indiana would be good? Are the regional meets planned for every year?

Ken, Meant to catch up with you and talk but you know how the week was. LOL I don't know the specifics but I believe the thought process is to have it east coast, then west coast, etc. So somewhere out west next year. I don't want to drive that far with a raptor but someday I want to fly out to a west coast regional NAFA meet and see how it is done out there. I think it would be a really fun time. And yeah, I think Ohio or Indiana the next east coast regional meet would be great.

I had a great time at the meet and it was fun talking to folks and I really wish I could have met and talked to everyone but we were busy out beating the brush every day trying to find rabbits. As Ling said, it was tough at first but we did eventually find them.

VAHAWKIN
01-08-2013, 02:07 PM
I would like to thank everyone who let me tag along last week. I had a great time meeting and hanging out with all the fellow falconers.

Michael you did a great job organizing this meet. I look forward to the next one.

I hope to see some of you guys next weekend at the Harrisonburg meet.

royale26
01-08-2013, 06:22 PM
Another wonderful meet... I have been going to PFHT meets since I was 13 (now 26) and every time we get together it is like seeing extended family that you only get to see once or twice a year. Nothing but good memories to take away from this one for myself, and i'm sure many others. Will post some pics when I get a chance.

Lowachi
01-08-2013, 06:50 PM
so who got the "rubber chicken award" and the "teddy bear/D.I.O. Award"???

joekoz
01-08-2013, 07:00 PM

Unless I am mistaken I believe that would be Abby who received the award for taking the "Yard Grouse". I remember Micheal calling someone up to the podium and presenting them with a small stuffed bear, but I can't remember who it was.

Lowachi
01-08-2013, 07:09 PM
Unless I am mistaken I believe that would be Abby who received the award for taking the "Yard Grouse". I remember Micheal calling someone up to the podium and presenting them with a small stuffed bear, but I can't remember who it was.

Michael said he'd send me pix, but I couldn't wait ta hear. Thanks Joe

falcipiter
01-08-2013, 07:11 PM
I can't name names but here you go:
A particular young female falconers HH deceided to fill up of something that resembled turkey vulture vomit. She one the DIO award. She also caught a yard grouse but so did someone else and he got it. In fact, this meet was a highlight in yard grouse taken and had the record of THREE in one day! Way to go.
And the only Pa. falconer to win the special Rubber Ducky award was one that refused to cross a creek to retreive his falcon and duck when he was already up to his hip in water where the ice had just melted. Consequently, the duck made its escape.
So, I highly reccommend that other clubs pick up the baton and add these special awards at you field meets:
The D.I.O. (Dead Inantimate object) award.
The Rubber Ducky Award
and The Dead Chicken Award
NAFA should sanction these as official and highly sought after goals for any aspiring falconer.

Lowachi
01-08-2013, 07:35 PM
I can't name names but here you go:
A particular young female falconers HH deceided to fill up of something that resembled turkey vulture vomit. She one the DIO award. She also caught a yard grouse but so did someone else and he got it. In fact, this meet was a highlight in yard grouse taken and had the record of THREE in one day! Way to go.
And the only Pa. falconer to win the special Rubber Ducky award was one that refused to cross a creek to retreive his falcon and duck when he was already up to his hip in water where the ice had just melted. Consequently, the duck made its escape.
So, I highly reccommend that other clubs pick up the baton and add these special awards at you field meets:
The D.I.O. (Dead Inantimate object) award.
The Rubber Ducky Award
and The Dead Chicken Award
NAFA should sanction these as official and highly sought after goals for any aspiring falconer.

clappglad they went to good homes. Might have to add, "All My Falcon Caught was a Thermal Award" to the list as well :D:eek:

Thanks Michael

robbeth
01-08-2013, 07:37 PM
My AK caught a french frie at the meet and she didn't want to give it up she thought she really had something.dohh

falcipiter
01-08-2013, 07:43 PM
http://i563.photobucket.com/albums/ss80/falcipiter/DSC_0109.jpg

Chesapeakehawk
01-08-2013, 07:46 PM
I had a wonderful time at the meet, there were so many great people and great birds! I hope that the regional meets continue in the future, as they brought together falconers who may never have crossed paths were it not for this event.
The DIO award was won by my FHH who found what looked like vulture vomit (or crap with meaty bits in it, no one was sure) and started horking it down. I picked her up and threw her into a tree, where she sat for a few minutes before throwing up the stuff, then looked really closely at it like she was going to eat it again. She also caught a barred yard grouse and three squirrels.
I didn't use my camera at all while there, too busy hawking and talking!
Here's some photos from my friend Jenn Campbell-Smith. She has hundreds of photos from the meet and is a first-year apprentice.
Me, Ken Aubin and Chris Tocco with first year FHHs Rogue, Jade and Sapphire and the catch of the last day.
https://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/735136_10100785122140923_1721267733_n.jpg

This was our "young falconers" table, 8/10 of us sitting at the table were falconers.
https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/540911_10100785122580043_1898476072_n.jpg

We called this the VIP table, making use of Jenn's computer on short notice:
https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/427592_10100785122759683_1439435637_n.jpg

Jeff Finch brought along this stunning beauty, and has been taking quarry with it. He also had the completely white RT last year. Lucky duck!
https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/541899_10100785093288743_1738702919_n.jpg

And Patrick Miller took these photos of my FHH:

https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/408709_4959393189859_1197700660_n.jpg

https://fbcdn-sphotos-f-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/13579_4959393149858_503317910_n.jpg

robbeth
01-08-2013, 07:52 PM
Great pics. it was nice meeting everyone.

Squirrelhawkin
01-08-2013, 08:27 PM
so who got the "rubber chicken award"

Rich,I couldn't make it to the meet,so I'm not sure.

Hey by the way, I had this guy show up at my house today. He wanted to know if I knew where a certain Connecticut falconer lived. Said he wanted to go out hawking with him. confuseddconfuseddconfusedd

http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/cc156/goshawkin/colonelsanders1.jpg

Red-tail71
01-08-2013, 08:37 PM
I thoroughly enjoyed the company I had. We had an interesting dinner at the Apple Tree, many laughs were had. I got to watch Dave's Hope fly and talk hood with Bill. Some nice flights with Corey's RT when we did find squirrels. We struggle to find a good place to hunt the first couple of days, but made up for it on the last day with plenty of bunny slips.

Thanks to Michael for all his hard work!

It was a pleasure to meet you Ling! Your hood look great man! I look forward to HOPEfully hawking with you in the future. Take care and until next time, happy hawking!

Mzingie
01-10-2013, 11:15 AM

The dead chicken award went to me this year thanks to my raptors impressive taking of Gallus Gallus Domesticus :D Unfortunately that was all we managed to grab but it was still a great time.

MrBill
01-10-2013, 01:48 PM
It appears you folks had a good deal of fun. I am all for these regional NAFA meets that are outside of the midwest where the NAFA meet normally takes place; it provides a good opportunity for NAFA members to get together and enjoy themselves without having to put a lot of money to do so.

Bill Boni

royale26
01-10-2013, 06:57 PM
http://i1151.photobucket.com/albums/o635/royale26/patrickandrabbit2013_zpsf3652d2f.jpg

http://i1151.photobucket.com/albums/o635/royale26/robRT2013_zps26aba94a.jpg

Our Gracious Hosts: Patrick and Rob

royale26
01-10-2013, 06:59 PM
My former apprentice Mark and myself with my gos. It took about 15 beaters 30 minutes to show him a rabbit, but one was all it took....

http://i1151.photobucket.com/albums/o635/royale26/mark2013_zpsbe3da97a.jpg

http://i1151.photobucket.com/albums/o635/royale26/gosfist2013_zpsc48b3b57.jpg

http://i1151.photobucket.com/albums/o635/royale26/gosgroupphoto2013_zpscee9aede.jpg

mainefalconer
01-10-2013, 08:02 PM
Seth, GREAT seeing you there! I wish I could have visited with you more. And thanks also for the extremely generous raffle donation. Zingarella (who posted here above you) will enjoy those binoculars for the rest of his life. He's a lucky dude to have them. (good hangin' with you too Matt) It was a 10 hour drive door to door for me, but totally worth the trip! Another good meet for sure! Looking forward to seeing all of you next time. :D

royale26
01-11-2013, 03:09 PM
Scott, it is always a pleasure seeing you as well. I wanted to make it a point to talk with ya, but alas we were never able to get together for any amount of time. There is always next time....
I hope you had an uneventful drive home and that your wife enjoyed herself. Your presence at our meet always affirms to me your commitment to NAFA and your role as the eastern director. Thank you

FredFogg
01-11-2013, 04:01 PM
Scott, it is always a pleasure seeing you as well. I wanted to make it a point to talk with ya, but alas we were never able to get together for any amount of time.

Seth, that Scotch didn't get in the way, did it? LOL toungeout :D

mainefalconer
01-11-2013, 07:32 PM
Hey, wait a minute!! Seth had Scotch with him?! I would have hitched my saddle to his if I'd known that! (Hey Fred, by the way,... thanks for the bourbon on Saturday! I owe you one!)

Seth, All kidding aside, "there is always next time."
And if you ever want to bring your birds up to the coast of Maine and kill some black ducks, you and the wife have a place to stay here. Or come when the season is over, and enjoy some time on the beach.

Lowachi
01-11-2013, 08:12 PM
Seth, that Scotch didn't get in the way, did it? LOL toungeout :D
Scotch never gets in the way. Now Jack, he can hold ya up some;)

RTJim
01-11-2013, 08:21 PM
rtsqrlWe took several people out and had 17 squirrels in 12 trees. We had so much game but many falconers birds were not on..frus)..It was a crying shame...:eek:....my male NA gos was on fire all week and had a rabbit every day..:D.....firsts....cheers.....jm

FredFogg
01-11-2013, 10:20 PM
Scotch never gets in the way. Now Jack, he can hold ya up some;)

I had a bottle of single barrel Jack that I took care of while I was up there and he never got in my way! :D

Lowachi
01-12-2013, 12:23 AM
I had a bottle of single barrel Jack that I took care of while I was up there and he never got in my way! :D

So someone other than Jack held you up, nice ta have friends, eh?toungeout

falcipiter
01-28-2013, 02:52 PM
http://i824.photobucket.com/albums/zz163/scottmcneff/DSC_0059-001.jpg
The PFHT has a few of the meet prints available and they are being offered for $35. They are Art Gallery quality and signed and numbered.
Also, I have plenty of long sleeved shirts that are going for only $10 (Only mens Large and X-Large avalible.
PM me with your zip code and what you want, I will calculate the costs.

What a great time we all had!
Cheers,

raptrlvr
01-29-2013, 11:50 AM
Michael, I would like a meet print and 2 T shirts for Robyn and I. I will pick them up in April when I come back to Pa. Let me know the cost and I will send you a check.

sevristh
01-29-2013, 01:39 PM
Jeff Finch brought along this stunning beauty, and has been taking quarry with it. He also had the completely white RT last year. Lucky duck!
https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/541899_10100785093288743_1738702919_n.jpg

Ummm.... I feel kinda silly because nobody has asked.... but what kind of bird is this??

sevristh
01-29-2013, 01:48 PM
Nevermind, Ornate Hawk Eagle. :D I have seen them mentioned here and there on forums, but never bothered to search what they looked like. Pretty impressive plumage!

CzNik2
01-29-2015, 09:58 AM
I know this is an older thread but do you have any of the NAFA prints still? That gos is awesome... Thanks...

falcipiter
01-29-2015, 10:23 AM
Yes we do. I believe that Cherri has a few left.
Will contact her today and give you a way to get one a little later.
That is a nice print.

CzNik2
01-29-2015, 10:41 AM
Awesome Thank you... I may want a few if possible one to keep and some to give as gifts... :-)

falcipiter
01-29-2015, 12:42 PM
PM me and I will give you her contact information.

robbeth
01-29-2015, 12:50 PM
Im interested in one as well