View Full Version : Newbie from Texas waiting on books...

Linsul
10-14-2012, 04:21 PM
Figure I'll introduce myself, while I wait. And wait. Curse you Amazon! Doing my due diligence in my husbands new obsession. We moved from California and have 2 kids, 9 and 4, and 2 dogs.

My husband got into falconry through reading. He hates reading, so this was an eyebrow raiser. He's kept at it, and as a former gymnast and current coach I'm familiar with lifestyles disguised as hobbies. Especially expensive ones haha! This to me is not something one does solo. Especially since a living creature is involved.

Not sponsor trolling or anything "serious." Will be paying dues to THA soon, but for now I'm watching many raptor health care videos on youtube. Imping feathers is pretty fascinating! Raw food diets aren't scary or gross as our dogs eat raw as well.

It's good to know that there are tons of people in our area! Love the stories, pics, and videos I've come across so far. My favorite part of falconry is absolutely the mutually beneficial aspect of the relationship. Though for us it's about watching, there's something intriguing in the notion of getting a "time share" on nature. Just the ability to do it is pretty incredible. Knowing it helps the birds when done correctly and that they remain wild and better for the time spent with the falconer makes it the endeavor of quality people in my opinion.

We live on the border of Frisco and Little Elm, if anyone from the area is willing to share any stories that would be enlightening! As in game available, ease of finding hunting spots, that sort of thing. Thanks!

Dirthawking
10-14-2012, 04:26 PM
Hi Stacie, there are a few of us in the Dallas Fort Worth area, as well as a few that migrate through so to speak. There is one person in particular that is right by you. If you want to PM your information I might be able to get you in touch with him. I am sure he would be willing to talk to you guys and take you out on a couple of hunts.

Linsul
10-14-2012, 04:44 PM
Right on, Ill send along cell and email. No expectation of course, whatever will be will be,thanks!

I'm still very much in the "should we?" category. I look at my back yard, and my prey driven crazy lab, and it's a bit of a head scratcher. The only thing my lab likes more than chasing (and killing often in the case of bunnies and crows) is food. She's a pound puppy with some interesting quirks. We also have a great pyrenees named Ahsoka. She's the benevolent ruler between the two, and will slap Annakin up to make her drop toads she catches so they can be moved to safety.

Also our backyard and surrounding area. I got my ms paint skills on to illustrate. Sorry, I'm finding things to consider since my books are taking forever. Found one on hawk identification and another about Gyrfalcons at half priced books. Went across the street to Barnes and Noble, their entire nature section was 3ftx3ft. Great place to go if you want board games and cheap toys though frus)

So far I have to say RT's are my favorite. Versatility and size, I'm a fan. They all look great, but I have to say the dark morphs are the favorite.

Anyway, here's my great art. I forgot the "W" in "wrought" and it's driving me nuts!
http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m5/Seepatay/backyard.jpg

Chris L.
10-14-2012, 04:58 PM
Welcome To NAFEX Stacie. I hope you find a good sponsor, don't be in a hurry to take the first one that comes along, the relationship goes both ways.

Keep us posted on how your falconry adventures go

again welcome

Linsul
10-14-2012, 05:39 PM
Thanks, will do! I'm pretty amenable to being told what to do in a learning situation, grew up at the mercy of a army of coaches. Also the whole asking even if I feel stupid. Clarification was a matter of self preservation, so it's second nature now. I'm still at the beating brush to see if I even enjoy it stage, non committal but interested!

*EDIT* If I do end up being an apprentice, whoever is stuck with me better love Star Wars apprentice/master jokes. It *will* happen, jussayin.

Lowachi
10-14-2012, 06:48 PM
(welc)to the party. There is a long history of Yoda references on here, so you'll fit in fine.

Linsul
10-14-2012, 07:22 PM
Oh good! I love Yoda too!
http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m5/Seepatay/Richardyoda8.jpg

JasonK
10-19-2012, 07:33 AM
Good luck I know when I got into falconry it was very addicting. I could not believe these crazy RT's would let you go hunting with them. Enjoy