PDA

View Full Version : Hi, from SC!

CoreyMGildersleeve
10-16-2012, 01:48 PM
Hello, my name is Corey Gildersleeve. I've been interested in Falconry since the age of 14, ever since I read the book 'My Side of the Mountain' and let me tell you, information was a lot easier to come by back then! I'm 22 now and have settled into a nice home amongst a vast number of fields that I've seen many-a rabbits, rats, mice and even deer nesting in.

I came here for help and guidance along the way towards a falconry permit, and would love some tips/tricks for the licensing process!

Reading material for the test, which books are best/worst, etc!

Thanks in advance for any help and I look forward to sharing my hunting stories with you all in the future.

peacee
Corey G

Lowachi
10-16-2012, 02:04 PM
Hello, my name is Corey Gildersleeve. I've been interested in Falconry since the age of 14, ever since I read the book 'My Side of the Mountain' and let me tell you, information was a lot easier to come by back then! I'm 22 now and have settled into a nice home amongst a vast number of fields that I've seen many-a rabbits, rats, mice and even deer nesting in.

I came here for help and guidance along the way towards a falconry permit, and would love some tips/tricks for the licensing process!

Reading material for the test, which books are best/worst, etc!

Thanks in advance for any help and I look forward to sharing my hunting stories with you all in the future.

peacee
Corey G

There's a large apprentice section where most often asked questions are covered, what books, etc. Also a couple links to sites and such.
Welcome to NAFEX btw.

CoreyMGildersleeve
10-17-2012, 02:55 PM
Much thanks for the welcome, I must admit that I post before I even took a look around. I have en-route to my home the 'falconry packet' from my DNR office here in SC now, equipped with the list of practicing falconers.

Before, when I was 15 I believe, I went to the home of a Master Falconer whom had 2 of the most gorgeous Harris Hawk's I've ever seen and was allowed to wear his glove and call the bird to my hand 'free flight' style.

I can't describe the thrill and fright of having a large bird fly from a near tree, straight at you for the first time. He showed me his jessies, leashes and eventually took me out in the woods for a squirrel hunt. Unfortunately we didn't catch anything but we did come across a deer that had been half eaten by.. something.

Anyways! My future projects, including materials I buy and books, etc will all be documented in hopes that someone can find it helpful down the road.

Happy Hunting!

peacee
Corey G

Dirthawking
10-17-2012, 04:36 PM
Hi Corey, welcome to NAFEX. You can also click on the link in my signature for some great pointers.

kurtp
10-17-2012, 04:49 PM
Welcom to NAFEX, Corey. Reading your post took me back 37 years, when I was 13 and read My Side of the Mountain (I wonder how many falconers that book is responsible for). The thrill of a bird simply coming to your fist or lure is still an awesome thing after all these years. Learn all you can, go watch as many falconers as you can. You are just beginning what could well turn into a lifelong passion (and without passion, what's life, anyway).

CoreyMGildersleeve
10-17-2012, 07:33 PM
Hey Curt, just to take you back once again, did you ever happen to read Far Side of the Mountain and 'Frightful's Mountain'? They're book 2 and 3 in the 3 part series.

kurtp
10-17-2012, 08:38 PM
Yeah, we've got all three bound in one book. I've read the trilogy to all three of my kids when they were young, bought copies for my nephews, etc.
Go Frightful.....

CoreyMGildersleeve
10-21-2012, 07:41 PM
I've never been more frustrated. My 'falconry packet' STILL hasn't arrived. I'm ready to get this ball rolling!

FredFogg
10-21-2012, 07:59 PM
Patience grasshopper! LOL

Also, click on this link (http://www.nafex.net/profile.php?do=editsignature)!

CoreyMGildersleeve
10-21-2012, 08:24 PM
Sorry, I just updated it, I think, to include my name. I figured my screen name being my actual name was enough. :P

However! Patience is difficult when you're off 4 days of the week lol.
It wouldn't be so bad if my state branch was active, but their site doesn't even work properly frus)

FredFogg
10-21-2012, 08:43 PM
Sorry, I just updated it, I think, to include my name. I figured my screen name being my actual name was enough. :P

However! Patience is difficult when you're off 4 days of the week lol.
It wouldn't be so bad if my state branch was active, but their site doesn't even work properly frus)

4 days off a week, drive over there and pick up the packet! LOL toungeout :D

Ally
10-21-2012, 09:52 PM
Hey Corey!

Funny story, I actually read "Frightful's Mountain" first, and then read the first and second in order :D

Welcome to the site, and the obsession, and the passion. We all love it here and I'm sure you will too. Patience is definitely the name of the game...it was late October before my permits finally came in when I was an apprentice and my sponsor warned me that our luck would run thin trying to trap a bird this late up north. Ended up trapping a kestrel in the dead of winter chasing Cedar Wax Wings. :D

Have fun, good luck, and keep an open mind!

CoreyMGildersleeve
10-22-2012, 08:33 AM
Well, after a long night of reading I've decided to just study my California Apprentice book that I got in 04' and take the test.

If SC is this slow, I can't imagine how long it took for some of you other folks living in even lazier states!

CoreyMGildersleeve
10-22-2012, 02:42 PM
Here's a bit of my backyard, where I will be training and possibly hunting with my future hawk.

http://i478.photobucket.com/albums/rr146/CoREYZoMBiE/104.jpg

http://i478.photobucket.com/albums/rr146/CoREYZoMBiE/105.jpg